Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:30 AM   #1
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Insane Battery Life?

So I "downgraded" from iPad 3 but have been loving the mini. One thing I noticed on my 3 was that the 10 hours of battery life was typically best case scenario, I would only get it with brightness way down and only using non intensive apps.

My mini right now though is at 9 hours 7 minutes usage and 1 day of standby. And it still has 41% battery left! I intentionally didn't plug it in since the night before last to see how long it would actually last.

My usage pattern has been fairly regular, a lot of web browsing, reading and a few games, twitter/Facebook, some video playback. Never above 50% brightness on the screen. Is anyone else getting this killer battery life or is it just me?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

Probably just the buggy OS ticking up ghost usage

Ask yourself. Did you really spend 9 hours using it? 1 day standby means you must be spent almost all day using it
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Royalcards
macrumors newbie

I tested the battery yesterday. It got me 13 hours with 5 percent remaining. Its amazing!
Royalcards is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:42 AM   #4
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin View Post
Probably just the buggy OS ticking up ghost usage

Ask yourself. Did you really spend 9 hours using it? 1 day standby means you must be spent almost all day using it
Standby is the time spent "on" with the screen off - standby mode. And yes it is surely possible...yesterday morning I used it for chord charts for guitar with the screen on for around an hour, used it last night for reading for an hour before going to sleep, this morning reading news, and plus yesterday I had it with me all day and people were randomly checking it out. Also used it to stream an episode of breaking bad in the afternoon. Overall I used it way more than usual because I just got it two days ago.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Standby is the time spent "on" with the screen off - standby mode. And yes it is surely possible...yesterday morning I used it for chord charts for guitar with the screen on for around an hour, used it last night for reading for an hour before going to sleep, this morning reading news, and plus yesterday I had it with me all day and people were randomly checking it out. Also used it to stream an episode of breaking bad in the afternoon. Overall I used it way more than usual because I just got it two days ago.
I know... what I mean is 1 day standby = 24 hours - 9 hours = 15 hours standby... my question is between sleeping, eating, and whatever... is there really 9 hours in a day you can spend using an iPad?

I'd suggest fully charging it and leaving it on standby over night... bet the "usage" reads an hour or more...
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #6
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
I know... what I mean is 1 day standby = 24 hours - 9 hours = 15 hours standby... my question is between sleeping, eating, and whatever... is there really 9 hours in a day you can spend using an iPad?

I'd suggest fully charging it and leaving it on standby over night... bet the "usage" reads an hour or more...
if you do not work :P
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:44 AM   #7
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Yesterday was Sunday

It is obviously not 9 hours of continuous active usage. But I can see the screen having been on displaying something for 9 hours. I have auto lock set to 15 minutes, so unless I actively put it to sleep it will stay on.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:48 AM   #8
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
On a Saturday or Sunday I can spend about 10 hours reading. Just depends on if I get to relax for a day or not - it is pretty rare but it can happen.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Candykwan
macrumors newbie

4gen's battery has lasted the entire day for me. Pretty sweet ^^ I had movies from Netflix on for around 4-5 hrs and been using it to dl/play apps. So timeframe would be 8am-11pm when it finally turned off from battery depletion...of course I wasn't on it for the whole time but that's a pretty good battery life, especially when it takes a while for the battery to be fully charged
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:38 AM   #10
monaarts
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Or if you work using the iPad mini. ;-)
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:39 AM   #11
dthmtlgod
macrumors regular

I have 52% battery left - 12 hours, 6 minutes of usage and 2 days, 19 hours of standby. Very happy with my battery life.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Quantus
macrumors regular

Guys.... that usage meter is very inaccurate. Has always been.

I'm getting about 10 hours of mixed usage, mostly web browsing w/ short 15 minute gaming sessions here and there. Overall, very pleased.
Quantus is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:47 PM   #13
cfs112
macrumors member

I used it for two days upon opening on Friday with medium usage and got about 15 hours before needing to charge. Great battery life so far!
cfs112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:51 PM   #14
mellofello
macrumors 6502

The best part about the many so far is how much faster it charges compared to the iPad 3. My number one complaint about the three was how slow it charged
mellofello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:02 PM   #15
seajewel
macrumors 6502

I think I'm getting roughly 11 hours usage with brightness around 40-50%. It's pretty great. 15 hours would be even nicer but this will do I'm skeptical of those of you reporting what appears to be 20 hours of usage... if that were the case Apple would have been trumpeting it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #16
bagelmaker
macrumors member

The battery life is amazing. Compared to my iPod touch this thing lasts 10 times longer. I've barely put the thing down in the past three days and I've only had to charge it once. Honestly, if it's a choice between this awesome battery life and retina display I think I would choose this battery life.
bagelmaker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #17
Acorn
macrumors 68020

games for me use the most battery life. mixed usage you can get a decent amount of time but if you just game on it the battery life is way way shorter.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #18
MistaGavin
macrumors member

Here's mine. It's my best yet, but I could probably improve it if I reduced brightness and turned off notifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	376466  
MistaGavin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:21 PM   #19
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So I "downgraded" from iPad 3 but have been loving the mini. One thing I noticed on my 3 was that the 10 hours of battery life was typically best case scenario, I would only get it with brightness way down and only using non intensive apps.

My mini right now though is at 9 hours 7 minutes usage and 1 day of standby. And it still has 41% battery left! I intentionally didn't plug it in since the night before last to see how long it would actually last.

My usage pattern has been fairly regular, a lot of web browsing, reading and a few games, twitter/Facebook, some video playback. Never above 50% brightness on the screen. Is anyone else getting this killer battery life or is it just me?
I could get 1 day USAGE and 12-14 days standby on my ipad 2, now that I have the ipad 4 running the better screen its about half that so I believe it
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:32 AM   #20
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Quote:
Standby is the time spent "on" with the screen off - standby mode.
That is not what standby is. Standby is the total time the device has been powered on (usage+sleep). Usage is the time it has been out of sleep mode, which is both active use with the screen on and background tasks with the screen off.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:36 AM   #21
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
Here's mine. It's my best yet, but I could probably improve it if I reduced brightness and turned off notifications.
Hey you play contract killer I was #7 on gamecenter for a while. PM me if you want a secret regarding that game. Best free game ever for sure
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:20 AM   #22
Jord5i
macrumors member

I am currently on my best run with my iPad 2. It's insane but I am currently at 49%, almost 10h of usage and 1 day 18h of standby. Never got this crazy of a run before, I might make it to the 20h

The batteries just seem very inconsistent, because I don't really use it any differently than I normally would.
Jord5i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:41 AM   #23
Trat
macrumors regular

Where do people find the time for all of these 9 hour runs. I mean, the iPad is fun and all but no way will I waste 9 hours a day on using one, especially not on a Sunday. Don't you socialize, spend time with your family or do useful things with your spare time?
Trat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:14 AM   #24
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Do you feel good about spending your Sundays demeaning other people?
bobbysmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 AM   #25
m00min
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
Do you feel good about spending your Sundays demeaning other people?
I can't see anything demeaning in there. I spent five hours yesterday sat on the couch playing Angry Birds Star Wars. Fun? yes. Complete waste of time? Totally

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad