Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:25 AM   #51
iMacprobook
macrumors member

Love them or hate them (envy?), what other product EVER, has sold at a rate of 11.5 units every second, even when we are now in the gloomiest economic situation for many years?

I'd call the iPad/iPad mini successful.
iMacprobook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:25 AM   #52
attila
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea.
Why on earth would you want to iMessage while watching a movie?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:26 AM   #53
Oletros
macrumors 603

Impressive numbers.

I also would like to know the split between the Mini and the regular iPad
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:26 AM   #54
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
and I still can't figure out how to manage my iphone from my iPad. I can't figure out how to plug my phone into my ipad and sync all of my music from iTunes on my iPad onto my phone. Can you help me?
iTunes Match
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:27 AM   #55
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
That's because they didn't sell out. One could walk into their local Apple Store yesterday and readily buy a mini.
Congratulations on your unique teleporting abilities. Hey I left my keys in a hotel in New Mexico, and my wallet in Vancouver. Could you pop by and grab them? Thanks. Meet you in Manhattan.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:28 AM   #56
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post
Combing sales figures, rather than splitting them up, says they're trying to make the amount of sales of the iPad Mini or the iPad 4th generation look, or both, appear better than what they are. I'm not saying it's a "failure," which it isn't, but I think the sales of both were far below what Apple was expecting.
No. They are both apart of the "iPad" line. What is the point of separating them? That's just like separating the Nexus 7 and 10. Essentially, they are the same thing but different sizes.
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:28 AM   #57
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

i hate waiting for this kind organized stock shortage....
macchiato2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 AM   #58
hyteckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
I thought the same thing as well.

AppleInsider says the 16 GB version is the most popular. Considering it's the least expensive model, I can understand. However, I work in a school district that's considering going 1:1 with iPads. If we do go 1:1, regardless of whether we get the full sized or mini iPad, I hope we get at least 32 GB. The teachers like taking videos with them. Videos usually take up quite a bit of space. We had someone come in & do a presentation to the kids last week. Took a video of it on my iPhone. Just shy of an hour long and took over 7.5 GBs. Plus, with all the apps we have, 16 GB would fill up really quickly.
If you are in a classroom sitting with WiFi, you can just stream the videos to the iPad. Not sure about the WiFi bandwidth usage though.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:30 AM   #59
Adokimus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
The iPad can do that but first, I'd like for you to explain the experience of watching a movie with half of an already split of the 9.7" screen covered by a keyboard while you type an iMessage...

The way Apple deals with the kind of multi-tasking that does work with 2 apps being actively used at the same time is that you can listen to music in the background as you browse the internet for example. With Netflix, you can in fact watch a movie while you iMessage. AirPlay takes care of that. You can play a movie in the Netflix app, AirPlay it to a screen that you can see without keyboards in the way and then switch to iMessage and your movie continues to play.

People who think your screen should be cluttered up with apps don't care about the user experience, and that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of other tablets for those people.
Oh, ok. The iPad can totally have multiple apps running on the same screen at the same time just like a laptop or surface! I just need to buy an Apple TV and a 50" LCD and pack them in my bag.

Considering I can write an email or watch a movie effectively on my iPhone's 3.5" screen, I think there could be a way to split the iPad's 9.7" screen when running two apps that wouldn't result in a terrible user experience. You disagree, but say that you disagree rather than pretend it's a feature that iPads have.

Last edited by Adokimus; Nov 5, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Adokimus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:30 AM   #60
legacyb4
macrumors 6502

My local Apple store (biggest in Canada, btw) was sold out; plenty of people waiting to play with the new Mini though!

Quote:
That's because they didn't sell out. One could walk into their local Apple Store yesterday and readily buy a mini.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:31 AM   #61
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
why would you want the competition to fail, so apple can slack?
Who said anything about wanting the competition to fail. Just an inquire about Microsoft sales, that's all.
JHankwitz is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:31 AM   #62
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How can I use Airplay if I'm at an airport lounge? You would need a TV plus AppleTV.Valid point about the keyboard taking up room though. But that was one example...

How about browsing the web, and having an iTunes open (it would show list view of scroll able songs on the side). I like that instead of doing a gesture, getting out of Safari, go into iTunes, and going back.
If you're messing with the iTunes list, you're not doing anything on Safari anyway. I fail to see the problem. If I'm watching a movie on a mobile device, I'm not going to waste the battery by trying to do something else at the same time. I'd be ignoring the movie, making the multitasking pointless.
Buckeyestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:32 AM   #63
dona83
macrumors regular

I was luckily able to grab a 32GB B&S at 3pm Friday. One store I called in the Vancouver area sold out, the other store in our area's biggest mall (Metrotown) had some left.
dona83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:33 AM   #64
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
why would you want the competition to fail, so apple can slack?
Nothing mentioned about wanting the competition to fail. The thing is, how can you tout how many you sold if you don't say how many you sold? Goes for Amazon too.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:33 AM   #65
herbapou
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalter View Post
Hmmmm I really wish they would have broken it down between mini and full size. I would say though based on my visit to an Apple store on Saturday which was jam packed that its probably a 70% mini and 30% full size split.
imo this is exactly why they didnt split it. with the stock in freefall they dont want people to squeeze some kind of negativity out of it.

And its normal that the ipad 4 didnt do impressive numbers, its a suprise update. What Apple did is making sure the ipad 4 sales are going to continu to be strong. Did you saw the GLbenchmark? the ipad 4 is running circles around the nexus 10.
herbapou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:33 AM   #66
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.mac View Post
..so, it's this a failure?

You must agree then that apple did miss the street target too.
heh heh... do you know what the street estimate was before you posted that reply? Do a little bit more reading will give you more informed opinion.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/...first-weekend/

Apple (AAPL), it seems, can't win the iPad mini expectations game. Take, for example, the sales estimates put forward by analysts for the first three days of sales:
Topeka Capital's Brian White: 800,000 to 1 million in first weekend
KGI Research's Ming-Chi Kuo: 952,000 manufactured before Friday's launch
Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster: 1 million to 1.5 million sold in first three days
BTIG's Walter Piecyk: Apple must sell 3 million in first weekend to demonstrate to Wall Street that there is adequate demand and that management can ramp up to meet it
xofruitcake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:35 AM   #67
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I agree...some people just don't see the big picture.

Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea.

I hope Surface/Nexus' catch on so that Apple can truly innovate!
I always endorsed (as a consumer) Microsoft and other "Big boys" come up with very decent and competitive products. only this way can deliver us reasonable Apple products in good prices. (there is a reason for funboys to argue )
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:36 AM   #68
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Quote:
That would appear to depend entirely upon where you happen to be.

From the article:
Quote:
Of those stores that still had some iPad mini stock available...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:36 AM   #69
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
3 million of anything is nothing to sneeze at, but their unwillingness to share iPad mini numbers is curious. As is Tim Cook's pronouncement that they "practically" sold out of iPad minis.
Most likely the reason is that the 4th gen iPad didn't sell as well given the many 3rd gen sales a few months agol. So if they reported mini's sold people could just subtract from the total.

Also they don't typically break down iPod sales numbers.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:37 AM   #70
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
Boom.

I fully expected them to refuse to break down the numbers. They don't do it with iPhone, I don't expect it with mini. Still selling twice as many WiFi models as they did in March is really good -- especially with only a minor upgrade. My guess is that most of those sales were mini's. But iPad 4 is probably not doing bad.
To some degree, it doesn't matter. There will be people who wanted a small tablet and wouldn't consider a big one, then they look at the iPad Mini, then they look at the large iPads and suddenly prefer them. So the mini made a sale that isn't a mini.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:37 AM   #71
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslenam View Post
Do we really need a break down? No.

Is the mini cannibalizing the larger iPad? I don't think so. I myself purchased 2 mini's. Was I planning in purchasing a larger iPad Nope! So there are two mini's that didn't take away sales from its larger counterpart. Many of the people I talked to in the stores also mentioned they are adding the mini to the rest of the iPads own. So from my experience many of the people I talked with wouldn't have purchased the newer iPad 4 but they did purchase the mini and it wasn't to replace the larger iPad it was to complement it. The smaller size defined makes it more portable for many people.
I for one still have my iPad 3 but for me the mini is used mailmy for work due to its more portable and the smaller size is fantastic in the cockpit. I use my iPads 6-8 hours a day for work and the mini replaces the iPad 3 in my work environment. Great little product and what a great size and screen. It must suck to have poor eyesight and need a retina display to use a device.
Love the mini and glad to see Apple selling lots of them.
😊
or good eyesight and actually notice it...
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:37 AM   #72
Appleisntpefect
macrumors newbie

What iPad's still need

Competition is good for consumers.
The iPad and iOS still are lacking the key ability to do multiple things at the same time, as on a Mac. Until then they are not "post PC" replacements.

Also the iPad needs to have GPS built into ALL units such that they can be used with GPS aps.

And of course the mini needs retina and a faster processor.

Better cameras over the upgrades will always be good.
Appleisntpefect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:38 AM   #73
overlyunderme
macrumors regular

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the last couple of product launches by Apple have got me believing that they are intentionally not making enough of the products before they release them so they can say that they sold out of that product on launch weekend.

It's really getting out of hand. I don't see why they can't wait a few more weeks to get enough stock so that everyone who wants one can get one. You'd think they would have this figured out by now.
overlyunderme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:38 AM   #74
herbapou
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
3 millions sold, that's two models combined...pretty horrible compared to the other apple product releases
wow, youre either a complete idiot or a weak troll.
herbapou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:39 AM   #75
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Makes you wonder if they've got the strategy a bit wrong charging so much more for increased capacity. Sounds like the higher capacity devices don't sell nearly so well (which matches my own anecdotal evidence), they might make more money selling more of them at a lower price.

Last edited by mazz0; Nov 5, 2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion