Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #101
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorGato1 View Post
Apple doesn't state the breakdown in order not to upset their shareholders even further. Most of these sales were probably the mini, which has less profit margin and cannibalizes sales of the more profitable retina version.
I don't get this "cannibalizing sales" attitude that a lot of people seem to have.

If you only have 350$ for a tablet, you can only get a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad mini or something from a competitor. The full-sized iPad isn't even an option.
Yvan256 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #102
NIKKG
macrumors member

I returned my refurbed ipad 3 and got the ipad 4 since its twice the speed of every ipad out there. I wouldn't touch the ipad mini, to me its not worth getting such old tech and a cr@ppy screen. Imagine how many ipad minis Apple can sell if it had an A6 with Retina, it'll easily be triple the amount.
NIKKG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #103
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
indeed. But Android users are spec freaks. It doesnt matter if the ipad mini and ipad 4 beats the crap out of the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 on GLbenchmark, but... but... the Nexus have better specs... but... but... what about Geekbench... exactly, geekbench is for just that, geeks.
Most people don't care about specs at all. They care about usability. Some prefer the usability/capabilities of Android to those of iOS. Many prefer iOS. A lot of people don't really care either way.

The fact that people might like features you don't doesn't make them wrong.

The Nexus 7/10 are not better/worse than the iPad Mini/iPad 4. They are alternate options with features that make them more attractive to some. It is difficult to buy a new device these days which is too slow. It's just a matter of how much excess speed one device has compared to another, and, aside from fanboys on either side, most people really don't care at all about specs except when a device is sorely lacking in one or more areas.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:59 AM   #104
sputnikv
macrumors regular

i still don't quite understand how someone can preorder something like the ipad mini without testing it out for themselves first. i can understand a product revision, but the ipad mini is size and weight based..
sputnikv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:01 AM   #105
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvetio View Post
so this means that the number of ipad minis sold was below what they expected...
Actually this is not true. They were expecting between 1-1.5 million in sales.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:03 AM   #106
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brazee View Post
What I can't figure out is how Apple decided to create a size to compete with dedicated e-readers and make it the only size that doesn't have retina display.
Its resolution exceeds that of most (all?) ebook readers prior to this year, so it clearly can function as an ebook reader just fine.

The sales figures suggest that Apple made a wise decision with features and pricing. Could they have sold it for less or added a better screen? Sure. Will they make the most profit with the decisions they made this time around? Likely. The overwhelming majority of consumers in the market for a small tablet will love the iPad Mini. They'd love a better display or lower price even more, but they'll still love the device as-is.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
i still don't quite understand how someone can preorder something like the ipad mini without testing it out for themselves first. i can understand a product revision, but the ipad mini is size and weight based..
They could return it if they don't like it, and Apple makes very few bad products, so they knew they'd be likely to enjoy it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:03 AM   #107
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipersing View Post
Not my local store....Minis were gone Friday.
Well, yes. It was the first day of sales. More came in on Saturday. I wonder when Apple Stores receive their shipment of iDevices to be sold on Sunday? Because Sunday morning, my 2 local Apple Stores had plenty.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:04 AM   #108
whitesand
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK View Post
Sorry, no -- at least in my area: bought an iPhone 5 yesterday at one of the Nashville Apple stores with no trouble at all.

In contrast, they had only had the white 32 GB iPad mini available, and stock was running low yesterday afternoon.

Yes, but iphone 5 is well over a month past its launch date....
whitesand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:06 AM   #109
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
Because people are willing to buy Apple items sight unseen. It doesn't matter the specs or the usability, they will buy the item no matter what. For this reason, you need to be careful extrapolating numbers sold this weekend to future sales. There's always going to be a huge initial spike from impulse buyers. But it's word-of-mouth and personal experiences that are going to drive (or not drive) sales from here on out.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:07 AM   #110
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

The mini I ordered for my wife arrived Saturday, rather than Friday (UPS truck broke down!).

I have to say, I'm quite surprised and impressed with it. The size is perfect for her to throw in her purse, and although it lacks a retina display, it still looks fantastic. Personally, I don't think the average user really cares (and few of those on this board are average users). She will get a great deal of mileage out of it. Don't knock the mini until you try it.
DudeDad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:09 AM   #111
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Until Google, Amazon, Microsoft, or Barnes & Noble release specific sales figures that show any meaningful numbers, Apple is by far and away #1 in the tablet space.

I don't doubt that Amazon has sold a million or two Kindle Fires, but they certainly didn't sell that many in a single weekend. Ditto for Google, Microsoft, and B&N.

Outlandish analyst and MacRumors forum posters' predictions aside, 3 million of anything with a 43% margin in a matter of days can only be considered a roaring success. My guess is that sales of LTE-enabled iPads will be significant as well.

Just wait until we get into the holiday shopping season. iPad mini will be the #1 sought-after gift.

Edit: I forgot Microsoft was even in the game and had to edit to include them in the above thoughts. Oops...

Last edited by Patriot24; Nov 5, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Patriot24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:09 AM   #112
EbookReader
macrumors 65816

This news of "3 millions Ipad in 3 days" should help boost Apple market share.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...d-quarter-idc/

As for smartphones for Q3, here's what research firm IDC found:

http://www.slashgear.com/android-sco...-idc-01255280/

EbookReader is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:11 AM   #113
herbapou
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Most people don't care about specs at all. They care about usability. Some prefer the usability/capabilities of Android to those of iOS. Many prefer iOS. A lot of people don't really care either way.

The fact that people might like features you don't doesn't make them wrong.

The Nexus 7/10 are not better/worse than the iPad Mini/iPad 4. They are alternate options with features that make them more attractive to some. It is difficult to buy a new device these days which is too slow. It's just a matter of how much excess speed one device has compared to another, and, aside from fanboys on either side, most people really don't care at all about specs except when a device is sorely lacking in one or more areas.
You are probably right, but the Android community are very vocal about specs per $. But the internet does not represent the general population at all indeed. All the people I know with android tablets dont care about specs, they just bought the lowest price tablet they could find.
herbapou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:12 AM   #114
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDad View Post
Don't knock the mini until you try it.
I've tried it. Yesterday morning for about 30 minutes at the Apple Store and the screen is far from fantastic. And I would consider my opinion more objective considering I don't own one. Owners of a new product are much less likely to be critical of a product they just spend > $300 on.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:16 AM   #115
convergent
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
And Blind followers will buy no matter.....

So the cycle continues.
Just exactly what would a "blind" person do with an iPad?

I bought a Mini, I love it, and I'm not blind. Grow up!
convergent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:18 AM   #116
Want300
macrumors 65816

It makes you wonder how many people are holding out for LTE capable versions.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:20 AM   #117
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I've tried it. Yesterday morning for about 30 minutes at the Apple Store and the screen is far from fantastic. And I would consider my opinion more objective considering I don't own one. Owners of a new product are much less likely to be critical of a product they just spend > $300 on.
I disagree...I was expecting to be completely disappointed with it, but knew my wife would enjoy it. I think the screen is fine. Sure, a retina display will be better, but I don't think you are that objective if you spend time on this board. However, you don't like it, so you will not get one. No worries.
DudeDad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:22 AM   #118
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

The mini is gonna explode and dominate iPad sales. With it's size and price point it is the iPad for the masses.
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:29 AM   #119
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
wow, youre either a complete idiot or a weak troll.
Why distinguish? Can't herbapou be both?
noisycats is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:30 AM   #120
Kenrik
macrumors 6502

After a weekend with the Mini I "get it" Apple is positioning, price and features. At $329 they have wiggle room to add a Retina Display and A6x in the next update which would make it hands down the best tablet in the market at ANY price. Why you might ask would they release it and the 4th Gen iPad at the same time while keeping the Mini effectively gimped with the display and processor? <ass production of the A6x now in the 4th Gen will bring the price down to acceptable levels so that the Mini can adopt it in the next refresh. If Apple had released it in March/April they would not have enough time to get the price low enough for Mini 2nd Gen, I would not be surprised if we saw a Mini Refresh mid 2013.
Kenrik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:32 AM   #121
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
If you're messing with the iTunes list, you're not doing anything on Safari anyway. I fail to see the problem. If I'm watching a movie on a mobile device, I'm not going to waste the battery by trying to do something else at the same time. I'd be ignoring the movie, making the multitasking pointless.
Right! Apple Pausing the movie while I respond makes far more sense. Since its on my device, why should I miss any of it?
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:33 AM   #122
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post

Outlandish analyst and MacRumors forum posters' predictions aside, 3 million of anything with a 43% margin in a matter of days can only be considered a roaring success. My guess is that sales of LTE-enabled iPads will be significant as well.

Just wait until we get into the holiday shopping season. iPad mini will be the #1 sought-after gift.

Edit: I forgot Microsoft was even in the game and had to edit to include them in the above thoughts. Oops...

heh heh, don't take that 43% gross margin number too seriously. It is a BOM analysis. It does not account for manufacturer profit, shipping cost (fly Ipad from China to here is expensive.. Just think how much do we need to pay fedex or ups to ship anything. Apple will get discount but still expensive), part spoilage (i.e. broken part as part of the manufacturing), rework cost (i.e. QA catch some problem and need to take the device apart and replace the broken part), marketing cost, warranty cost and design cost (those engineer in Silicon valley cost a lot of money too.. And who is paying for the A5 design work?). Net profit for a base mini would be lucky to in the high single digit. The high end model will do much better. The gross margin in 1Q13 will also do much better as Apple can ship the device by sea instead of plane and the manufacturing process become more efficient.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:36 AM   #123
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
heh heh, don't take that 43% gross margin number too seriously. It is a BOM analysis. It does not account for manufacturer profit, shipping cost (fly Ipad from China to here is expensive.. Just think how much do we need to pay fedex or ups to ship anything. Apple will get discount but still expensive), part spoilage (i.e. broken part as part of the manufacturing), rework cost (i.e. QA catch some problem and need to take the device apart and replace the broken part), marketing cost, warranty cost and design cost (those engineer in Silicon valley cost a lot of money too.. And who is paying for the A5 design work?). Net profit for a base mini would be lucky to in the high single digit. The high end model will do much better. The gross margin in 1Q13 will also do much better as Apple can ship the device by sea instead of plane and the manufacturing process become more efficient.
Agreed on all points. I am aware of the additional items that go into the margin calculation, I was just making a point about the stack of cash that flowed into their account over the weekend.

I do agree with other posters that the current price point is forward-looking to give them room when a faster chip and retina display come in the next release.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:37 AM   #124
SILen(e
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Just exactly what would a "blind" person do with an iPad?
This:

Accessibility - Vision

iOS 5 VoiceOver

Which mean they would do most of the typical computing stuff, like browse the web, send and receive mails - even take pictures.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:41 AM   #125
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslenam View Post
I for one still have my iPad 3 but for me the mini is used mailmy for work due to its more portable and the smaller size is fantastic in the cockpit. I use my iPads 6-8 hours a day for work and the mini replaces the iPad 3 in my work environment. Great little product and what a great size and screen. It must suck to have poor eyesight and need a retina display to use a device.
Love the mini and glad to see Apple selling lots of them. ��
Great to see that you've mastered the "art of rationalization".

I'm sure that as soon as Apple releases it's retina version of the iPad mini, you'll be first in line to buy it
Jetson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion