Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
stevo8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
best color for resale?

Torn on which color and was thinking Ill just get what will be the easiest to resale if theres any difference at all. I like the white face, but much prefer the slate back. When they update Ill most likely be selling it and getting the new version, so the question is. Is one color going to be any easier to sell then the other?
stevo8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
White is hard to come by.

Shorter supply ==> higher price
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
White is hard to come by.

Shorter supply ==> higher price
I can confirm this. If you go to Amazon to trade in any iPad the white iPad's have the higher trade in value. I like white better because it hides finger prints and smudges better.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I thought white was the higher resale item but I think that the "excitement" of white has lowered significantly. I know white sold out faster than black with the Mini but it seems that may be due more to uneven supplies rather than popularity. (But then again, the desirability of white increased once people found out it sold out so who knows. I know I fell for it and got a white and now I regret it because my Apple Store can't hold Black in stock long enough for me to get it replaced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I can confirm this. If you go to Amazon to trade in any iPad the white iPad's have the higher trade in value. I like white better because it hides finger prints and smudges better.
Thats not true. With both the iPhone and iPad3 then White trade in value was $30+ less than the black. Same goes for Best Buy and Ebay Trade in.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
DJinTX
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
One thing to consider is scratches. The white models will definitely hide their scratches better. If you typically are able to keep your devices in sturdy cases and in pristine condition, then this won't matter.
DJinTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Don't buy for the next owner. That's just plain dumb. Neither color is going to have a price premium, and since you only have one to sell you only need one buyer. Buy what you like. It's your money.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Black.
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:38 AM   #8
stevo8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Don't buy for the next owner. That's just plain dumb. Neither color is going to have a price premium, and since you only have one to sell you only need one buyer. Buy what you like. It's your money.
I like both. Its a toss up.. Love the slate, but also like the white face. Figured one would stand out more once I could get my hands on them, but that wasnt the case at all, it just made the decision even harder.
stevo8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:39 AM   #9
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Oh wow. I can't believe this. Buy what you like and enjoy it while you can.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #10
nfl46
macrumors 601
 
nfl46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
White
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Thats not true. With both the iPhone and iPad3 then White trade in value was $30+ less than the black. Same goes for Best Buy and Ebay Trade in.
Hmm maybe i'm missing something but on Amazon's website the white iPad's tend to have a slightly higher trade in value.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/s/re...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
I like both. Its a toss up.. Love the slate, but also like the white face. Figured one would stand out more once I could get my hands on them, but that wasnt the case at all, it just made the decision even harder.
Go to the store and play w/ each for 10 min. I think it will help you decide. You can't judge from pics. Personally I only buy black b/c it blends with the screen. I find white bezels distracting because it pulls your eyes away from the screen. But that's me. Some people like white for the fashion statement.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:44 AM   #13
stevo8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
Oh wow. I can't believe this. Buy what you like and enjoy it while you can.
Read above... I like both, would enjoy both, have access to both etc etc... Just looking for a tie breaker.
stevo8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:46 AM   #14
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Read above... I like both, would enjoy both, have access to both etc etc... Just looking for a tie breaker.
Buy both colors problem solved.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:46 AM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Just looking for a tie breaker.
Coin toss.

It's anyone's guess with any question regarding resale value unless you're looking to sell it right now.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:48 AM   #16
stevo8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Go to the store and play w/ each for 10 min. I think it will help you decide. You can't judge from pics. Personally I only buy black b/c it blends with the screen. I find white bezels distracting because it pulls your eyes away from the screen. But that's me. Some people like white for the fashion statement.
I figured the same, and decided on the black for my phone for that reason, but in person it made me even more torn between the two. The mini will be used mainly for browsing and as a reader, so the white being a distraction isnt a concern. Been to the store twice now since I pass it on the way home, and still torn. Kinda leaning towards white since I have never had any white apple gadgets when they offer both colors, but dont want to regret it is all, so I figured if theres a difference at all in resale Ill just go with that as the tie breaker.
stevo8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Hmm maybe i'm missing something but on Amazon's website the white iPad's tend to have a slightly higher trade in value.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/s/re...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Log on and black seems to have a higher value. But again, I find buying for the next owner silly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
I figured the same, and decided on the black for my phone for that reason, but in person it made me even more torn between the two. The mini will be used mainly for browsing and as a reader, so the white being a distraction isnt a concern. Been to the store twice now since I pass it on the way home, and still torn. Kinda leaning towards white since I have never had any white apple gadgets when they offer both colors, but dont want to regret it is all, so I figured if theres a difference at all in resale Ill just go with that as the tie breaker.
Well you can always buy white, try it for a few days and if you decide you want black exchange. At least you can do this if you buy from the Apple Store.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:52 AM   #18
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Don't buy for the next owner. That's just plain dumb. Neither color is going to have a price premium, and since you only have one to sell you only need one buyer. Buy what you like. It's your money.
I could not agree more. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go!
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:55 AM   #19
johannar
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
White

I would say White as White is somehow Scratch Resistance
johannar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:03 AM   #20
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannar View Post
I would say White as White is somehow Scratch Resistance
What?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Read above... I like both, would enjoy both, have access to both etc etc... Just looking for a tie breaker.
I did read, excuse me. Your title simply asked which was better for resale. And of course you would have access to both. If not, you wouldn't be asking that question duh.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:03 AM   #21
stevo8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
I could not agree more. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go!
What lengths? People are far to passionate about this stuff here. Like stated above, I like both, and have plans to sell it later. So if both are on a even playing field for me, then why wouldnt I take into consideration resale value?
stevo8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:07 AM   #22
noteple
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Torn on which color and was thinking Ill just get what will be the easiest to resale if theres any difference at all. I like the white face, but much prefer the slate back. When they update Ill most likely be selling it and getting the new version, so the question is. Is one color going to be any easier to sell then the other?
If you like the face, well, that's the side you will see while using it.
So please yourself.

Resale difference is minimal between colors.
However the white housing might holdup better and it's condition alone would bring a higher resale value.
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:13 AM   #23
stevo8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Going to go white this time around. I dont believe in returning a product based on my mistake so Ill live with it if its not what I wanted exactly. The scratch resistance(or visibly showing them anyways) and finger prints make it attractive to me. Plus I have never gone that route before so why not give it a try.
stevo8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:14 AM   #24
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Resale value of color now != Resale value of color later.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:18 AM   #25
dagamer34
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Resale value of color now != Resale value of color later.
But it's a definite predictor. At the very least, like someone has said, white hides scratches far better than black, which means it should, in theory, fetch a higher price.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display | Mac mini | iPad Air with LTE | iPhone 5
dagamer34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5s color resale value RiddlaBronc iPhone 11 Apr 13, 2014 12:56 PM
iPhone 5c resale value-best color matthewcap iPhone 22 Jan 27, 2014 10:52 PM
iPhone 5S Resale: Best Color Jman14 iPhone 10 Sep 19, 2013 05:23 PM
iPhone: Color banners and color dialer Eclipse538 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 Mar 4, 2013 04:46 PM
Apple's Color Labs Acquisition Involves Only Color's Engineering Team MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 44 Oct 22, 2012 11:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC