Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dn1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I had made up my mind that a Mac Mini and iPad 4 was the perfect combination to replace my 2006 iMac and to use as a home theater.

That was until I felt how light the iPad Mini is. Now I am pondering whether I should get that rather than the iPad 4.

Has anyone experienced using iPad Mini to control the Mac Mini with Logmein or another app or had experience of running Plex on the iPad Mini. My concern is that it will not be powerful enough.

Thank you!

tg9413

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
It is good as long as u can bear some input lag if u use the ipad as inpit device. Mobile mouse amd remote are all some easy to setup amd effective apps to use the ipad as remote amd input source. But ya it is definitely not as smooth as a.bluetooth connectted device.

tg9413

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
It is good as long as u can bear some input lag if u use the ipad as inpit device. Mobile mouse amd remote are all some easy to setup amd effective apps to use the ipad as remote amd input source. But ya it is definitely not as smooth as a.bluetooth connectted device.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
I have been using IOS devices for years to control my mac mini HT machines. I typically use the rowmote app. Of course I am not doing full control, I am using my tv or projector as the monitor, and the ipad, iPad mini or ipod touch as the remote mouse/keyboard.

I highly recommend rowmote as it has hot keys for many common apps.

If you run Plex, their ios app also allows some sort of control (view library on the ipad, then chose 'play on computer').

Now I also use the ipad (and now an ipad mini) for total remote control of my theater using Irule (controlling everything), but that's a different conversation.

Current setup, Family room has 2011 mac mini base model, Theater has 2011 mac mini server (quad core). I use the iPad or ipad mini on both, depending on where I am.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I use VNC for ipad if I want to airplay mirror from one of my mini's to one of my ATV's, otherwise the plex app for ipad is pretty nice once plex is launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.