Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Right I have bought a 15" rMBP over the weekend and now I am getting cold sweats about the fact I just spent $3k on a laptop and thinking aside from photoshop most of my work can be done on a ipad haha

So if common sense prevails and I decide to return it would it be subject to a restocking fee and would I need a reason? cheers.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
The best is going to cost ya.

I thought about getting by with a loaded mini and Thunderbolt Display but the price is right back up there without the portability.

If you want to try ramping down and save $500 or more just return it and buy something else.

If that doesn't work out you can always rebuy the rmbp or maybe the 13"

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
If you can't afford it, why did you make an impulsive purchase?

Return it and get a 2012 (or 2011 Refurb) cMBP with a Hi-Res matte display. Save the money, put in your own SSD & 16GB RAM and you're good to go.

With that extra money you will save, you can take a vacation or enjoy good food.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I can afford it but I am trying to be sensible for the first time ever.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I can afford it but I am trying to be sensible for the first time ever.

Doesn't make sense.

If you feel like it's burning a hole in your wallet, that means you can't afford it.

Just because you have saved up cash/or a credit card doesn't mean you can afford it.

It's best to be responsible when you purchase things.

It's your money, though, you can do as you please...but since you asked....

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Doesn't make sense.

If you feel like it's burning a hole in your wallet, that means you can't afford it.

Just because you have saved up cash/or a credit card doesn't mean you can afford it.

It's best to be responsible when you purchase things.

It's your money, though, you can do as you please...but since you asked....

Its not burning a hole in my pocket, I just always get like this about tech I guess its just because tech is so finite.

swordsmn

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah but it's the best tech there is.
3K is a lotta $$ but I'm in my 50's & I have paid more than that for a green screen CRT AT& T desktop that ran a Unix variant. (cool system tho... yea vi !! Lol )
If you LIKE having the premiere platform & you can afford it, I say enjoy it.
I plan to, probably in Dec. (and I want a 1K Thunderbolt monitor. Insane LOL
Buhwaha.ha.ha... it's only money spend the kid's inheritance, he/she'll be an ungreatful bastage in his teens anyway. :)
Did that help ya?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Return it. If you want to still have a Mac, get either a 15" or 13" cMBP - you can upgrade those on your own if you want. People here write as if the retina screen and SSD are required for life - they are not.

I bought a 13" rMBP with 256 GB storage and returned it yesterday. Nice computer but grossly overpriced for what is essentially a nice screen. The 15" is similar, but less overpriced.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Its not burning a hole in my pocket, I just always get like this about tech I guess its just because tech is so finite.

If you get colds sweats thinking about it you should probably return it, unless you live life continually worrying about things you've purchased, in which case this seems normal for you.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Each person has to make their own value judgement based on objective requirements, subjective needs....and budget limitations.

For me the screen, all solid state design and a SSD large enough for photo collection on multi week trips did the trick.

If you can do you work on an iPad, congrats. At least get the new one for max CPU, and wifi speeds. I will swap our 3rd generation iPads in for new ones for the holidays. At least I can sell the current ones for around half the cost of the new ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.