Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
giwrgosae
macrumors newbie

where is the txt file that save's everything i'm typing in mac?

Hello!
i have a macbook 13" 2011 model and a friend tell me that there is a text file somewhere inside that keeps(save's) everything i type in mac such texts, links, e-mails even passwords!
do you know where is this text file? i can't find it
giwrgosae is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:16 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by giwrgosae View Post
Hello!
i have a macbook 13" 2011 model and a friend tell me that there is a text file somewhere inside that keeps(save's) everything i type in mac such texts, links, e-mails even passwords!
Your friend lied to you.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Hello!
Much of that, to some extent, is retained by your browser (and can be cleared and/or set to not be retained), and passwords and the like are often similarly retained system-wide and can be viewed/edited via the Keychain Access app.

Still, that's very different that a text file that retains everything you type, which would only be the case if someone installed a key logger on your system.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
giwrgosae
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Your friend lied to you.
are you sure? He told me that this file exist and once he find it randomly in my laptop but now he cannot remember where it was.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:23 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
are you sure? He told me that this file exist and once he find it randomly in my laptop but now he cannot remember where it was.
I'm absolutely certain. Such claims are made by uninformed or misinformed people, frequently in an attempt to scare unaware Mac users. There is no truth to your friend's claim. Read jsw's explanation. There is no such text file in OS X that stores everything you type. The only way a keylogger could be on your system is if you installed it yourself, or gave someone else access to your computer to install it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
giwrgosae
macrumors newbie

Thank you both of you guys for your time to help me! your answers was really helpful thanks again!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help