Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whplayer65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
I have been an iOS user since the original iPhone. I currently have an iPad (first gen) and am looking into android devices simply because I believe it's time for a change. As you all know there are a ton of android tablets out there and I am unsure of which route I should go. The nexus 10 looks nice but I would like to get some opinions on other android devices. Thanks in advance!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
IMO the only good and viable options for an Android tablet is the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10.

I plan on picking up the N10...

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Definitely either the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. I am personally planning to get a Nexus tablet next month. Wether it will be the 32GB Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 remains to be seen.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I have been an iOS user since the original iPhone. I currently have an iPad (first gen) and am looking into android devices simply because I believe it's time for a change. As you all know there are a ton of android tablets out there and I am unsure of which route I should go. The nexus 10 looks nice but I would like to get some opinions on other android devices. Thanks in advance!

Hi. I used to own the original 7" tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab. I now have a Nexus 7 and also own a 10" HP touchpad. My cousin has the Lenovo ideapad.

Even though there are acceptable alternatives, you will not find a better android tablet than the Nexus 7 and 10.

Their prices are also super competitive.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
How do you like the size of your current iPad? I own a Nexus 7 and love it. I was coming from a 10in tab and feel the 7 is the sweet spot for me as far as tabs go. My Nexus 7 lives on the living room coffee table and has become my primary internet search and email tool. Once you decide on size I would stick with the Nexus tabs.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I agree that the Nexus line is the way to go - others have options you might like, so look into them, but the Nexus line will have the latest OS versions for a long time to come, and that's worth a lot, at least to me.

In my opinion, the Nexus 7 is an unbeatable value - 32GB for $250? Awesome. The Nexus 10 is likely also to be a fantastic tablet, but I think it's less of a value compared to the iPad 4 than the 7 is when compared to the Mini.

Still, either will do nicely, and it depends on your size preference. However, bear in mind that Android is not iOS (obviously), so be prepared for differences. You'll love some of the differences and not like others.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I agree that the Nexus line is the way to go - others have options you might like, so look into them, but the Nexus line will have the latest OS versions for a long time to come, and that's worth a lot, at least to me.

In my opinion, the Nexus 7 is an unbeatable value - 32GB for $250? Awesome. The Nexus 10 is likely also to be a fantastic tablet, but I think it's less of a value compared to the iPad 4 than the 7 is when compared to the Mini.

Still, either will do nicely, and it depends on your size preference. However, bear in mind that Android is not iOS (obviously), so be prepared for differences. You'll love some of the differences and not like others.

I'm onthecouchagain and I endorse this advice.

Whplayer65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
I really appreciate the responses. I don't mind the size of my iPad but have been leaning towards a smaller device. I believe I will focus on the Nexus 7 or 10. My only concern in switching to an android device is that almost all my music and videos are through iTunes. Is there a effecient way to get those files onto a android device?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I too have an iPad 1. After reading the thoughts of those that regularly input on this forum I am very tempted to go for a Nexus 7, I will look at an iPad mini at the nearest Apple shop first just to confirm my decision though.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
I really appreciate the responses. I don't mind the size of my iPad but have been leaning towards a smaller device. I believe I will focus on the Nexus 7 or 10. My only concern in switching to an android device is that almost all my music and videos are through iTunes. Is there a effecient way to get those files onto a android device?

Some of them may have to be converted some may not. There are many format converters out in interweb land for free that are able to do this for you. Rest assured though, you will be able to bring your media with you. Have a look at an app called Double Twist.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Google can scan and upload your music content to Google Play easily. Unless a lot of it was purchased long ago, there should be no DRM issues.

Video content? I'm less sure - it's DRM'd, and so that might present an issue.

Whplayer65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Thanks everyone for your help. Now I just have to pry myself away from ios long enough to give android a shot!

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
If you plan to do any amount of typing, I would suggest you look at the Asus Transformer line of tablets. They have the best keyboard dock of any tablet available right now. The keyboard dock also packs a second battery pack that will extend the battery life to around 15 hours in total. Other features is that it comes with full-sized USB ports, an SD card slot, it acts as a screen cover when closed and is a good stand that allows you to prop up your tablet at any angle.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I own iPad's, several android tablets and by far the Nexus 7 is the clear winner as the price/performance leader. Jelly Bean is what android should have been.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe the N7 or the N10 are the best android tablets out there, by the simple fact they run the vanilla android. You'll not have to wait for the another entity to receive the android source code and then customize it for their tablet - provided the even decide to update the tablet for a given android upgrade.

The N7 offeres a lot of features in a small portable tablet for a cheap price. Aside from the iPad mini, this was the other tablet on my short list

Whplayer65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
I am trying to make the decision between the 7 and 10. The size of the 7 is a huge plus for me but having never owned a 7" tablet I'm afraid I may come to regret not getting the larger one.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I am trying to make the decision between the 7 and 10. The size of the 7 is a huge plus for me but having never owned a 7" tablet I'm afraid I may come to regret not getting the larger one.

If you are in Europe then usually you should be able to return it within 14 days ..

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Depends on your needs, but the Galaxy 10.1 Note would be my choice if budget allows(but I'm not really a Samsung fan) seeing as it has a quad core cpu, pretty solid screen, reasonably thin, good community support, and that lovely wacom S-pen. I have the more business marketed Thinkpad Tablet running 4.0 and I love the digitizer a lot, & I'm a bit peeved that Apple hasn't yet implemented such a lovely feature on the iPad(which I own and like still). Digitzer really comes in hand when jotting notes, feeling doodling and drawing, and it's just plain accurate to use when you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.