Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Targeted in New Patent Suit Over VPN on iOS

Patent holding firm VirnetX yesterday announced that it has filed suit against Apple, Cisco, NEC, and Aastra, alleging infringement of five patents held by the company. As noted by Computerworld, Apple is being targeted for claimed infringement by the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch of a pair of patents related to virtual private networking (VPN) connectivity.

VirnetX, which derives almost all of its revenue from licensing fees and legal judgments related to its patent portfolio, previously sued Microsoft over similar violations, with the two companies reaching a settlement in May that saw Microsoft pay VirnetX $200 million and license the intellectual property in question. One of the two patents Apple is alleged to have infringed upon is that same as one cited in the Microsoft case.
Quote:
Wednesday's suit claimed that Apple's iPhone -- all models, including the newest iPhone 4 -- iPod Touch and iPad infringed a pair of VirnetX patents.

One of the two that Apple allegedly infringed -- identified as Patent No. 6,502,135 -- was also one of the pair that VirnetX said Microsoft violated.

The patent cited in both lawsuits, titled "Agile network protocol for secure communications with assured system availability," describes technologies for creating and managing a virtual private networking (VPN) connection.
The suit was filed in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, a popular location for patent cases known for its plaintiff-friendly judgments. The judge in the case, Leonard Davis, also presided over the Microsoft case and is particularly known for his willingness to rule in favor of plaintiffs in patent disputes.

Article Link: Apple Targeted in New Patent Suit Over VPN on iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
cybaster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
VirnetX, which derives almost all of its revenue from licensing fees and legal judgments related to its patent portfolio, previously sued Microsoft over similar violations, with the two companies reaching a settlement in May that saw Microsoft pay VirnetX $200 million and license the intellectual property in question.
Someone opened the cage doors for patent trolls lately.....
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3
born4sky
macrumors 6502a

I should start patenting all my dreams... that one day I can sue someone.
born4sky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:25 AM   #4
iguanarama
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybaster View Post
They've been flowing for years, but there's been a cluster of 'em recently which have been more widely reported. I feel fortunate that I'll never work for, or come close to working for, these types of patent-chasing companies -- what a way to make a living.

(And I posted a joke about the amount of legal news today, and it got *moderated*? Geez guys, lighten up!)
iguanarama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Sixtafoua
macrumors 6502

Well then, at least apple isn't alone.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Schizoid
macrumors 6502a

Funny friday obviously, anyone else want to sue Apple while we're at it?
Maybe you invented the computer? Or a means to store data electronically?

Contact your local lawyer...
Schizoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Software patents.. real PITA.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8
TheIguana
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybaster View Post
Yup, your friendly local congress critter.
TheIguana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

Multi millionaire judge L.D.?
Torrijos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Blu-Ray
macrumors regular

Thier lawyers must have been on vacation during the same quarter last year:
  • Profitable second quarter 2010 with $200,023,392 in revenues vs. $7,207 in second quarter 2009
  • Income from operations of $115,101,373 in second quarter 2010 vs. ($3,928,346) in second quarter 2009.
  • Net income of $81,112,974 in second quarter 2010 vs. ($3,927,102) in second quarter 2009.
  • Earnings per share of $1.83 in second quarter 2010 vs. ($0.11) in second quarter 2009.
  • Special dividend of $0.50 per common share declared in second quarter 2010.
  • Cash flow from operating activities of $76,656,936 for first six months of 2010 vs. (7,330,109) for first six months of 2009.
  • Cash and cash equivalents of $127,179,912 as of June 30, 2010 vs. $414,735 as of December 31, 2009.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Salacion
macrumors 6502a

Patent trolls should be killed, murdered and killed!

The patent should be void if you haven't incorporated it into whatever it is you do.
Salacion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:54 AM   #12
rmatthewware
macrumors regular

Patent reform?

I get it when Nokia sues Apple, or visa versa. Those are active companies actively producing things. I hate it when patent holding companies sue people. So, you patent something, have no intention of doing anything with it, then wait for someone not only to use it, but make money on it. Then you sue. You don't sue when it first happens, you wait until the pot is sweet enough. These people are vultures in the worst way, and it shouldn't be allowed to go on like this.
rmatthewware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacion View Post
Patent trolls should be killed, murdered and killed!

The patent should be void if you haven't incorporated it into whatever it is you do.
Yup. They are the leeches of society.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Can someone who understands VPN a little better explain how Apple could possibly have infringed on it on the iPhone etc?

afaik VPN is a protocol and software based, and its something that Apple does not support out of the box. Third party software is required.

There isn't some sort of hardware implementation required to create a VPN is there?

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:04 AM   #15
jabbawok
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jabbawok
Im getting a bit bored of this. The pont of patents is to stop people stealing your ideas and your product's uniqueness not to fill the coffers of these companies that hoard IP for the purpose of sueing anyone who actually produces someting.
Fair enough if someone starts making a product that infinges a patent you use on your product or licence for someone else to use. Maybe I should patent the idea of flying to pluto, Im never gonna do it but screw anyone else who gives it a go.
I'm beginng to think there should be some use it or loose it clause in patents to stop all this trolling.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:04 AM   #16
omerbaker
macrumors member

To whom it may concern:
I just sent in my patent paperwork and copywrite paperwork. From now on, anytime, anyone uses the letter i in any way, shape, or form, it will be in violation of my intellectual property. Apple, Cisco and Seasame Street, you have been warned. Thank you.

By the way. Does anyone know a REALLY good lawyer?
omerbaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:10 AM   #17
sined13
macrumors member

Apple should introduce an iSue store.
sined13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:15 AM   #18
impulse77
macrumors member

Stocks are Down VHC

Their stocks are down to 6.15 ... HMMMMMM
impulse77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:16 AM   #19
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
Can someone who understands VPN a little better explain how Apple could possibly have infringed on it on the iPhone etc?

afaik VPN is a protocol and software based, and its something that Apple does not support out of the box. Third party software is required.

There isn't some sort of hardware implementation required to create a VPN is there?
I could but would just give you a headache, so just take it as simply tunneling thru the internet secured between two points.

But this has nothing to do with the patent. I have not read the patent but I will bet my right one that its broad and has absolutely nothing specific or marketable that could be the reason why they are doing it in TEXAS. Texas is just one of those F up states that is so blind to things like this that they really don't care if it hurts innovation, not exactly a haven of knowledge or intelligence.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:23 AM   #20
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbawok View Post
Im getting a bit bored of this. The pont of patents is to stop people stealing your ideas and your product's uniqueness not to fill the coffers of these companies that hoard IP for the purpose of sueing anyone who actually produces someting.
Fair enough if someone starts making a product that infinges a patent you use on your product or licence for someone else to use. Maybe I should patent the idea of flying to pluto, Im never gonna do it but screw anyone else who gives it a go.
I'm beginng to think there should be some use it or loose it clause in patents to stop all this trolling.
These companies primarily make their money off of licensing the technology not suing over them.
They resort to suing when they can't get a licensing deal.

Remember.. not everyone who comes up with a patentable idea has the means or resources to turn it into an actual product.
So the suggestion that patents should only be issued to those that can produce and actual product from their idea is absurd.

I'm not saying I agree with every holding companies dispute, but the idea behind a patent holding company is still a good one.
Especially for the guy who has a great idea but lacks the funding and resources to make it happen.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:28 AM   #21
Xavier
macrumors 68020

I can say honestly that I have never used a VPN on my mobile device.
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:31 AM   #22
GQB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIguana View Post
Yup, your friendly local congress critter.
Just because some find ways to abuse the system doesn't mean there's not legitimate cases for protecting people's hard work.
Want to also revoke those antiquated laws 'your friendly local congress critters' enacted to prevent someone from walking into your house to take what they want?
Didn't think so.

Righties always want the government to protect them but not the other guy.
GQB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:36 AM   #23
bwillwall
macrumors 6502

oh apple... you cant just do anything you want
bwillwall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #24
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Everyone wants a piece of the pie
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:00 PM   #25
Brinkman