Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #26
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Wow. Google Employees must be really dumb. Apple WILL approve Google maps....
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #27
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Then they should just remove all the other Maps apps.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #28
rnizlek
macrumors regular

I would seriously hope that Apple wouldn't block a Google Maps app. If Apple was willing to match the functionality of Google Maps (i.e. TRANSIT), I'd be alright with the decision, although not exactly pleased. But they're not. Apple Maps has worked fine for me for driving directions, but doesn't do a bit of good as far as transit directions go, and there's no app that provides anywhere near the transit coverage as Google did. I've used the web based app and it just doesn't cut it compared to what I had in iOS 5.
rnizlek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #29
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

Imagine if it has turn-by-turn directions. That would be an huge slap in the face of Apple
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #30
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superken7 View Post
What do you mean, poor Google? Poor US! the USERS! Who would be stuck with a single solution, Apple Maps, which is missing _a lot_ of data, lacks street view, and doesn't have an equivalent desktop solution to sync data to.

Having said that, I bet Apple approves the app, just like they did approve chrome, and just like they approved other map apps which are present in the App Store. I don't understand why they point to existing map apps to say that it is unlikely theirs will be approved!
im pretty sure he was joking
nick_elt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #31
Small White Car
macrumors G3

While Apple may not want to release it, I feel like this whole story is too high-profile at this point. I doubt they can risk the backlash on a story that's already been mainstream news.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #32
iPegboy
macrumors regular

Apple would on seriously shaky legal ground if they denied Google Maps while allowing MapQuest and others in the AppStore. It's an all or nothing thing.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #33
scottwaugh
macrumors regular

We'll just have to wait and see, but I'd bet Apple approves it.

There's too much PR visibility on this issue to not do it and have it turn into a brand damaging PR mess (again) - and the other side of it is Apple has little to loose doing so...Apple's App is good (where it works) and will only get better and is also wired into the OS for use by other Apps no matter whether a user picks the Google Map App or not.
scottwaugh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:14 AM   #34
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
While Apple may not want to release it, I feel like this whole story is too high-profile at this point. I doubt they can risk the backlash on a story that's already been mainstream news.
Exactly, I highly doubt that Apple would not approve it
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:16 AM   #35
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superken7 View Post
just like they did approve chrome,
You do know iOS Chrome is really just a Mobile Safari skin right, heck, a lesser one since it has to use the default Javascript engine that's slower than Safari's Nitro ? Google had to compromise a lot to get it approved.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Don't see why Apple wouldn't approve the app.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #37
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Don't see why Apple wouldn't approve the app.
Pride.
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:19 AM   #38
ls1dreams
macrumors 6502

I'm not the kind to quickly leave a company, but this would 100% convince me to switch to Android.

My contract just ended, so it would be the perfect excuse to leave.

It's one thing to lock us in your ecosystem Apple, it's another to provide ****** products and no alternatives. If we're going to be limited, you better fix your crappy maps.

I currently think Apple is at least 5 years behind Google in this regard though.
ls1dreams is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:20 AM   #39
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Apple should approve it.

It doesn't change much. Since it cannot be called the Map Kit it's going to offer the type of integration that Apple Maps offers.

Approve it and watch silly people make their lives more complex.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #40
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Pride.
Pride of what?
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #41
Razeus
macrumors 68040

All I know is that if this happens, I'm done with the iPhone.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #42
drblank
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Freaking pessimists

If their Maps app doesn't have Malware, then they have to submit to find out. Apple has other Google apps on the Apple App Store, so why not?

What's Google afraid of? That it might have Malware or some code that Apple doesn't want them getting access to like personal information?

I think Google is trying to get our sympathy. Pathetic attempt at it since I didn't buy their little plea of sympathy. Freaking children and their little games they play.
drblank is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #43
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

The only way Apple wouldn't approve it is if it didn't follow their app guidelines. Googles other competing products made it into the app store and there are numerous approved apps using google's mapping services.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #44
chairguru22
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
So are many of the others they recommend on the App Store. That has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I think it'll get approved and this article is just very pessimistic. I think it'll take time though... and that Apple is taking their time on purpose. That way, most people will adjust to Apple Maps and won't care so much when it actually does get approved.
Google isn't finished with the app yet so Apple doesn't have it to approve.
chairguru22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #45
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?
This this THIS a hundred million times THIS.

Just because the Guardian found "an anonymous source" saying that they don't think Apple will approve it, doesn't make it remotely true. I can bet you that Google has already cleared such an App with Apple. Any big business would prior to spending millions of dollars developing software. This isn't a smart kid in his parents basement that created a cool little hack app that gets rejected by Apple. This is Google, they aren't stupid.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #46
John.B
macrumors 68040

Google Maps and Street View on your iPhone/iPad (any version): maps.google.com

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #47
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Pride.
They would actually be quite dumb if they don't aprove it as they would be getting themselves into a serious PR mess.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:26 AM   #48
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

If Apple doesn't approve it, Google needs to post a copy of Tim Cook's apology over Apple Maps next to a copy of the e-mail Google gets from Apple denying a Google Maps app.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:26 AM   #49
yakapo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse462 View Post
That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.
"choice" is bad to Steve Jobs. Remember he said tablets smaller than the ipad should come with sand paper to file your fingers down.

My wife hates apple maps, but I was more frustrated by the removal of the youtube app. Unfortunately, I bought my ipad 3 used and it came with ios 6 on it. So now I'm eagerly awaiting a ios6 jailbreak.
yakapo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:26 AM   #50
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Sounds ridiculous, Apple would have little choice but to approve it given the problems it has with its own offering. The longer they leave it the more chance Apple has of getting their maps to a reasonable level where it clould be reasonably argued it just duplicates functionality in iOS. Personally I think this is just Google spreading FUD and making noise to draw attention to itself, while also trying to persuading some fence sitters to finally turn to Android.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion