Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #101
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Over a Mapping program? Really?

I honestly don't know what area you live in, but I've used Apple's Maps app in the area that I currently reside and I have found ZERO errors. I know that certain parts of the world there might be some errors here and there, but I think the whole thing is blown way out of proportion unless you know differently.
In my little village, Apple Maps has not one landmark. Google maps has two, and they are both in the wrong place

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by damir00 View Post
This is just so stupid on Apple's part. Shows complete disregard for the end user experience.
Of course. Google employees spreading rumours proves that Apple is stupid and disregards the end user experience. In your world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
I have personally corrected information using Apple Maps 'Report a problem' weeks ago, and nothing has been adjusted.
And that is a real problem. I sent a suggestion to Apple: 1. Send one email when a problem is reported. 2. Send one email when someone looks at the problem. 3. Send one email when the problem is fixed or the report is rejected.
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #102
Want300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
You know that the dual-core A6 already blows the quad-core GSIII out of the water, both in terms of CPU and graphics performance, right?
This... Yes, and it does runs my apps much smoother with half the RAM. This argument makes me laugh.

I will say, I did like the GS3 because it was different and Android has much large improvements, but the Apple Ecosystem is great. And I have no reason to change, nor do I plan to.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #103
chukronos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Apple maps suck - not for the directions but more for the lack of information compared to google maps
Not sure what this has to do with my post. But, I agree, Apple maps sucks. And, it is for both directions AND lack of information. Why it is run off of yelp garbage data, I do not know. Unfortunately, after being sent on several wild goose chases with Apple Maps, I now use google maps, and then check to see if the Apple map location is accurate.

All that being said, there is ZERO reason that Apple would not approve the Google app. UNLESS, google has put something in the app that they know they should not have in there. Google knows this. So, it makes me suspicious as to why they are saying the things they are saying.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #104
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Let's not get all in a tizzy over nothing. This article isn't really news, it's just Google stirring the pot.

At the same time though: Apple, I like you. I really do. But I also like Google. I like you both. But please don't make me choose one or the other, because frankly I don't think you'll like the choice I make.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:08 PM   #105
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysb01 View Post
If this is true and Apple maps hasn't improved by the time I buy my next phone, I'll be purchasing something that allows google maps.
Surprise! iPhone 5 "allows" google maps right now.

http://maps.google.com

You can even add it to your home screen, and it looks and functions an awful lot like a native app.

But, if you're insisting on an actual app that's in the App store using Google Maps, that's there too:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps+/id416753449?mt=8

So relax. This article, and these comments by these "unnamed sources' at Google, are intended to inflame people needlessly, claiming Apple will do (or not do) something it hasn't even had the opportunity to yet. Judging by your comments, they did exactly what they intended to do.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #106
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post
5+ years of Google Maps iOS and no Turn-By-Turn... We were probably never going to get it because Google favored Android, which I do not blame them for at all...
We were never going to get it because Apple would not agree to Google's terms to get access to the APIs required to fix their own native App (Maps on iOS always was made by Apple, Google only provided the tiles through their API).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #107
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Maybe. I think its mostly fashion, though. Most Android users are either pimply tech-geeks, or poor people.

(OK, I guess there's also a third category of insecure guys who bought an android phone because it has a bigger screen.)

what a ridiculous post
uknowimright is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:11 PM   #108
KdParker
macrumors 68020

So what. Just submit the app and see what happens.

Maybe google shouldn't have shorted the iphone with there google maps solution for the last several years?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:11 PM   #109
Joesmith13245
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Wow. Google Employees must be really dumb. Apple WILL approve Google maps....
The statement made by Google was strategic. It was meant to provide visibility into the development and approval of their app. They are using the media as leverage to get their app approved.
Joesmith13245 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:14 PM   #110
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You know that the dual-core A6 already blows the quad-core GSIII out of the water, both in terms of CPU and graphics performance, right?
But the OS can't hold a candle to JB.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #111
John.B
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Apple Maps haven't served me well. I'd welcome a Google map app.
maps.google.com

Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #112
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Surprise! iPhone 5 "allows" google maps right now.

http://maps.google.com

You can even add it to your home screen, and it looks and functions an awful lot like a native app.
It's ok for occasional use but quite poor when compared with the old iOS Map app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
See above.
OllyW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #113
Texran
macrumors regular

Improvement

If apple maps dont improve real quick or they don't approve the app. I'll jail break and move away from the iPhone when my contract is up.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #114
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
We were never going to get it because Apple would not agree to Google's terms to get access to the APIs required to fix their own native App (Maps on iOS always was made by Apple, Google only provided the tiles through their API).
Like google didn't know that apple wouldn't agree to their terms. Google what perfectly fine with Android having more functionality with Google maps.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:16 PM   #115
tzeshan
macrumors regular

Apple Maps app is integrated with other functionalities of iPhone and iPad.
tzeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #116
valkraider
macrumors regular

If Apple denies any Google app they will instantly be investigated for anti-trust violations.

Just like how Microsoft keeps making Word for Apple OS - Apple will keep approving Google apps for iOS. Because then they can point to that approval and say "See, we _are_ allowing competitors access."

Without that Congress will start looking very closely at Apple, and Apple doesn't want that...
valkraider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #117
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Like google didn't know that apple wouldn't agree to their terms. Google what perfectly fine with Android having more functionality with Google maps.
The terms weren't that bad. Basically, instead of "Find my Friends", Google asked Apple use Google Lattitude (same kind of service) and more prominent branding of the maps as belonging to Google.

It's not like they asked for 3 Quadrilion dollars and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #118
John.B
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
It's ok for occasional use but quite poor when compared with the old iOS Map app.

See above.
Well Google's Maps App is never going to be integrated into iOS again, if that's what you mean.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #119
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkraider View Post
If Apple denies any Google app they will instantly be investigated for anti-trust violations.
Apple holds no trust, thus they don't fall under anti-trust legislation. It's not like Microsoft at all.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #120
Shade12
macrumors regular

better fix thier maps
Shade12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #121
kas23
macrumors 603

Has anyone used this Quick Route app? Seems like these developers are going to make a lot of money in the next few days (and so will Apple).
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:20 PM   #122
DominikHoffmann
macrumors member

New petition to bring Google Maps to iOS!

I just started a petition to bring Google Maps to iOS!
DominikHoffmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:20 PM   #123
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Win, win.

If Apple don't approve it, Google will say "told you so" if it is approved, Google will get their app in the store. Your move Apple.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #124
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by penajmz View Post
If that's the case then Apple Maps better step up.
I think apple maps is stepping up at least in the US.

We will have to see where they end up in the next 5 - 6 months with the overseas market which seems to need the most improvement.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #125
o0jelly0o
Banned

What I think Apple should do with Maps is create an algorithm of sorts, and evaluate reports on a given location or problem in Maps. When X amount of people report a given problem, it then lists the adjustments and orders them with the adjustments that are the same from the most amount of people on top, it then selects those listings and corrects them all immediately (no, one wrong person could have their adjustments posted). This would eliminate a vast amount of inaccuracies without a human reviewer needed (this would work best for highly populated areas where a larger number of people would be making adjustments). For the lower populated areas, they could focus the human reviewers for accurate corrections, as obviously, if you had only 2 reported problems for a given location, either person could be incorrect or lying.
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion