Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yousefarman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Chicago Illinois
Hi Everyone,

ive searched the forums for this answer, but could not find anything. I recently took over a friends account (AOL) to get unlimited data on my iphone 5. i know that it has the hotspot feature built into the device, and that on a shared family plan, you can use it at no cost. If i turn it on, on my unlimited data plan, will verizon detect it, or charge me? or will the automatically just add on the $30 data add-on? i know once jailbroken, i can do this for free, but that could take months.

Thanks in Advance!

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Hi Everyone,

ive searched the forums for this answer, but could not find anything. I recently took over a friends account (AOL) to get unlimited data on my iphone 5. i know that it has the hotspot feature built into the device, and that on a shared family plan, you can use it at no cost. If i turn it on, on my unlimited data plan, will verizon detect it, or charge me? or will the automatically just add on the $30 data add-on? i know once jailbroken, i can do this for free, but that could take months.

Thanks in Advance!

it should not work if you turn it on.. will say to contact vzw and add the feature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.