Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
DyingBreed
macrumors newbie

Good analogy for iPad mini screen

First time poster, but I have a pretty good analogy for the iPad mini screen vs retina IMO.

For those interested in PDF reading on the mini-- I would compare it to *average* ink jet printers, whereas retina is a laser printer--if you've ever compared prints, you will understand what I'm saying. The text is slightly fuzzier than retina, but by no means is it hard to read for extended periods.

Just my 2 cents. Satisfied with the mini.

Unrelated question: I see a lot of people mentioning selling iPads. Where do you guys sell used electronics--Craigslist, Ebay?

Last edited by DyingBreed; Nov 5, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
DyingBreed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 603

You realize some inkjets have higher resolution than some lasers, right?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:41 PM   #3
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Yep. I didn't quite get the analogy. I would have gone with CRT vs. HDTV. They're both fine, and no one complained all that much about Cathode Ray Tubes in the past. It sure beat radio! But, the difference between the two is dramatic, in my opinion, and that is why you don't see CRTs in the stores much anymore. Why would anyone buy them?

I feel like the iPad Mini is a step back in time to 2007, when the first iPod Touch came out with the same ppi. Sure, it was great, and is totally usable. I loved my iPod. But, I was glad to upgrade to the iPod 4 with the improved display. There was no doubt that it was better.

So, the iPad Mini screen is OK now. In my opinion, though, it ought to be "resolutionary"
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
GBR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyingBreed View Post
Unrelated question: I see a lot of people mentioning selling iPads. Where do you guys sell used electronics--Craigslist, Ebay?
I have used eBay and had very good success, you may not get absolute top dollar but you will get good money it will usually sell fast and its simple and secure.
15" MacBook Pro Retina & 27" Thunderbolt Display
GBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
DJinTX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
First time poster, but I have a pretty good analogy for the iPad mini screen vs retina IMO.

For those interested in PDF reading on the mini-- I would compare it to ink jet printers, whereas retina is a laser printer--if you've ever compared prints, you will understand what I'm saying. The text is slightly fuzzier than retina, but by no means is it hard to read for extended periods.

Just my 2 cents. Satisfied with the mini.

I have used www.nextworth.com several times with great success.

3 past iPhones (1 original and 2 3GS's) each consistently went for $160-165. I'm sure that you could get more from eBay or Craigslist if you want to do the legwork and/or risk meeting up with someone who might be wanting to rob you. Nextworth (and other places like Gazelle.com, Best Buy, even Apple) will buy your used portable devices/laptops and usually give a pretty good return if it is in good condition and not super old.
DJinTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
DyingBreed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
*Insert word* "average" in front of both... Just like there is probably "some" Ford Mustang out there that will outrun a Lambo, but come on bro. Generalizations.
DyingBreed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:11 AM   #7
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
*Insert word* "average" in front of both... Just like there is probably "some" Ford Mustang out there that will outrun a Lambo, but come on bro. Generalizations.
I get that, but then this no longer fits the bill as a "pretty good analogy".

SD vs HD would be a batter one, or VHS vs DVD. But that's me.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:24 AM   #8
kas23
macrumors 603

I only pay attention to car analogies. Sorry.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:00 AM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
...and that paper matters for inkjets?

Try another analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
I would have gone with CRT vs. HDTV.
Not mutually exclusive. There were CRT HDTV's (I still have one). I'm guessing you mean SD versus HD? Or CRT versus LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
Why would anyone buy them?
Context matters. The LCD HDTV's at the time I bought my CRT HDTV had nowhere near the same image quality when it came to contrast ratios, black levels, color, etc. Things have definitely changed over time.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:12 AM   #10
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I was with you

Though I think my preferred analogy is DVD vs. BD. It's not like DVD is that bad, and in a vacuum it's pretty good (especially upscaled ) - it's the direct comparison to BD where it shows its deficiencies.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:16 AM   #11
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
I get that, but then this no longer fits the bill as a "pretty good analogy".

SD vs HD would be a batter one, or VHS vs DVD. But that's me.
That is the way I describe it to people. Some people do not even notice a big difference b/t SD and HD....those have to be the same people who say the mini screen is "almost" retina
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:04 PM   #12
DyingBreed
macrumors newbie

I dont see comparing TVs as a good analogy for PDF reading... which was the point of my post, as mentioned. Lots of people have questions about reading PDFs on here, so I thought I would address that with the best "reading" analogy at hand.
DyingBreed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad