Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timive.jpg
Jony Ive is now the spiritual successor for Steve Jobs at Apple, according to technology journalist Micah Singleton. Tim Cook is playing the role he always played. Cook is a details guy and handles the supply chain like no one else. But, Jobs was always the product guy, and his fingerprints were on everything Apple did.

Singleton:
When Steve Jobs was CEO of Apple, its senior leadership was a two-headed monster. Steve put his touch on every product Apple released, while then COO Tim Cook made sure operations ran smoothly, and products were properly distributed. Using this model, Apple had unprecedented creative and financial success. With the recent moves made by now CEO Tim Cook, this model has returned, albeit slightly altered, with Cook leading, and Sir Jony Ive playing the role of Jobs, taking over creative control of the world's largest company.

Article Link: Jony Ive is Now Playing the Steve Jobs Role

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i wish it will unleash his creativity

because we've seen a lot of compromises lately...

the ipod's are not really what we expected...

Aug 26, 2008
I think we will quickly know if this is a good or a bad thing. Apple needs to get back to focusing on pros and productivity, and solid tools for these types. Sure, iOS can still get plenty of attention, but one does not have to be ignored at the expense of the other.

sircharles

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2005
London
You can not run the company if you lack passion and commitment to the company and it's products. Tim and Jon are the one.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Brilliant. Even though i have android now, im an apple guy at heart. And once he spins his magic ill be straight back.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Way to go, Tim. Elevating Ive and dumping Forstall should make for some insanely great products coming up.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
It feels like Apple is in a waiting for what's next mode, relying on previous successes. I feel this change will put Apple back into creating its own future with new products. I know the mini is a new product but overall there's a creative drive that's still missing. It's back.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Now, this is a GREAT move by Tim! At least he knows people's strong points around him.

neuregulin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
New York City
That's the way it should be from a year ago.

I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.