Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:25 PM   #51
spencecb
macrumors 6502a

I think this will be Apple's saving grace. Not that they are in decline, by any means, but I think this will help them get back on track after the "unguided" year that 2012 has brought.

This will help to ensure that Apple maintains its edge and innovation for years to come. I'm sure Steve is breathing a sigh of relief.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #52
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Insanely great.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:35 PM   #53
jwdsail
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Touché

I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

No more triplicates in the "open with" section.

More user controlled editing of how information is conveyed.
Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

I want to be wrong.. I want to believe..

But, the best I feel about any of this lately is, "Meh".
jwdsail is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:48 PM   #54
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
After all, this is a guy who was ready to walk out of Apple so he could pursue new/different things, not that long ago! Apple had to make a really sweet deal with him to convince him to stick around.
I think this might have been due to the apparent disagreement with Scott Forstall. I don't doubt Jony Ive's commitment to Apple.

But I don't see Jony Ive as the replacement for Steve Jobs. I think Apple are right in not even trying to replace him. Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together.

My guess is we don't see Jony Ive presenting at the keynotes is because he is not comfortable doing so. But that is OK, as he is a very good designer. I am looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the software side.
Moonjumper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:48 PM   #55
Journeyman79
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Touché

I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

No more triplicates in the "open with" section.

More user controlled editing of how information is conveyed.

I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.
Journeyman79 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:53 PM   #56
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

Have we heard anything from Ive himself about all this? That is, how he feels taking on this extra stuff? I totally agree this could rock for making the future Apple products completely mind blowing, but then it could also burn Jony's mind straight away. Steve was a unique sort of guy. He spent all his time thinking about stuff like this, pursued it with some kind of strange, super-strong passion that you don't really see anywhere. Ive has always struck me as much more reserved; I wouldn't say he's dispassionate, but I might say he was loving his niche and perhaps didn't necessarily campaign for this as much as it was thrust upon him.

I just hope he doesn't get so stressed that he just tosses it all...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #57
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
I think this might have been due to the apparent disagreement with Scott Forstall. I don't doubt Jony Ive's commitment to Apple.

But I don't see Jony Ive as the replacement for Steve Jobs. I think Apple are right in not even trying to replace him. Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together.

My guess is we don't see Jony Ive presenting at the keynotes is because he is not comfortable doing so. But that is OK, as he is a very good designer. I am looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the software side.
"Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together."

I couldn't agree more. Here's an article arguing your point;

http://more-real.com/blog/2012/10/31...-and-the-voice

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman79 View Post
I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.
Wouldn't that be awesome.
smulji is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #58
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I don't wish that and I disagree. Hope Jony continues the trend. Love the new iMac design. Good riddance ODD. Thanks again Apple.

And let's see those 27" high end benchmarks first before we talk about compromising.
mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #59
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
I lol'd.
Please do not.
The Bulge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:02 PM   #60
quincy164
macrumors newbie

Very good move and shows great confidence on Cook's part. However, while Ive can do a great job with design, the far tougher part is envisioning new products. That was Jobs's true genius and the real hard thing to replace.
quincy164 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:04 PM   #61
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

"Jony Ive is now the spiritual successor for Steve Jobs at Apple."

The word spiritual has a different meaning for me.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:05 PM   #62
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ive looks pissed!

Are you one of those people who doesn't like skeuomorphism? I hate those people...
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:12 PM   #63
Sardonick007
macrumors regular

Not that it will affect my buying decision in any way, because I'm all over the products, but, I feel like the last lonely guy that likes the skeuomorphic design. What a lonely and disappointing world.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:13 PM   #64
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
Please do not.
I'm afraid it's already too late.
RoboCop001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:13 PM   #65
markcres
macrumors 6502

Jony Ive isn't just smaller and thinner than Steve Jobs. He is a distillation of Steve.....
markcres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:15 PM   #66
jmille44
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility
Ive's wants to be thin. Someone buy him a juice machine already.
jmille44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:15 PM   #67
msantram
macrumors newbie

The Jony Ive Role

I'd like to think that Jony Ive is playing the Jony Ive role.
msantram is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:18 PM   #68
righteye
macrumors 6502

i still feel Apple without SJ has lost the crazy drive and inspiration that Apple Needs,he might have been difficult at times and downright contrary but look where they got to, nothing Apple has done since SJ,s passing has inspired me ( actually its worse than that the products i feel are not hitting the mark and are always short of greatness always holding back, maybe the reserve is running dry) and it makes me sad and worried for the future.
Maybe with Ives in this role we might see some Apple greatness once again but i think they need to pull their finger out and get on with it the competition will only get tougher.
These are just my personal thoughts and opinions and i do not wish to upset anyone.
righteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:19 PM   #69
steveza
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman79 View Post
So following Microsoft's lead with Windows 8
steveza is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:21 PM   #70
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

Great news! Can't wait to see what the future holds!
Bchagey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #71
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonick007 View Post
I feel like the last lonely guy that likes the skeuomorphic design. What a lonely and disappointing world.
I like some of it. I love that the textures you get on screens aren't flat. Paper has a grain, and the linen thing never bugged me at all. All the leather stuff is pushing it. The podcasting revox and game table stuff is idiotic. I guess what I'm saying is there's a way to do it well, and Apple's been shooting far beyond that point for a long time.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #72
Dgail
macrumors member

Jony Ives

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy164 View Post
Very good move and shows great confidence on Cook's part. However, while Ive can do a great job with design, the far tougher part is envisioning new products. That was Jobs's true genius and the real hard thing to replace.
Agreed, I do hope he retains some of the skeumorphic design we have all come to love, like the trash. Google changed some of their icons and when I have to visit their web page on the Windows workstations at work, it drives me crazy as they take too long to figure them out.

Back to Jony, would love to see him at some of the launches, to hear him speak about "allooominium"!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #73
Journeyman79
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveza View Post
So following Microsoft's lead with Windows 8
I guess so. The intent behind Windows 8 is a great idea, its just been implemented poorly. Ive on the other hand, could do this the 'Apple' way
Journeyman79 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:28 PM   #74
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?
No, of course not. But the "thinness" require compromised thermal solutions. And the mobile CPU/GPU produce less heat and require smaller cooling support which gives a good baseline.

Apple never want to "just" beat in a benchmark; they want to win the heart of the user by providing a good design and smooth running system.
And mostly they achieve that.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #75
localhost8080
macrumors member

the podcasts app is one of the few that I do like, ical on mac looks crap.
localhost8080 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion