Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:28 AM   #1
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 vs Nexus 4

Which should. I get? Why?

Yes I understand I'll be getting biased responses.
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
maflynn

Get the one that best meets your needs.

If you're enmeshed in the Apple ecosystem then buy the iPhone.

Try both out and see which phone you like the most, only you can decide which is the best phone for your needs
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:49 AM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Both are excellent phones. Both run the OS envisioned by their respective companies.

One is half the cost of the other off-contract, but that might not matter to you.

One runs LTE, but that might not matter to you.

They're both wicked fast. Various benchmarks will show one or the other being more or less wickedly fast than the other, but they're both beasts.

The iPhone 5 battery life is, by all accounts, a lot better.

The Nexus 4 has better screen resolution and more ability to customize.

It's like asking which supermodel to choose when you can have either of them. I mean, seriously, you can't lose.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:05 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Both are excellent phones. Both run the OS envisioned by their respective companies.

One is half the cost of the other off-contract, but that might not matter to you.

One runs LTE, but that might not matter to you.

They're both wicked fast. Various benchmarks will show one or the other being more or less wickedly fast than the other, but they're both beasts.

The iPhone 5 battery life is, by all accounts, a lot better.

The Nexus 4 has better screen resolution and more ability to customize.

It's like asking which supermodel to choose when you can have either of them. I mean, seriously, you can't lose.
are you sure about this one? I feel like the iphone 5 screen was reviewed as better? or do you just mean the actual resolution is slightly higher?
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:13 AM   #5
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
are you sure about this one? I feel like the iphone 5 screen was reviewed as better? or do you just mean the actual resolution is slightly higher?
I meant actual resolution, the iPhone's 1136 x 640 is less than the Nexus 4's 1280 x 768. The N4 has about a third more pixels, which might or might not matter to most. The fact that the ppi of both is very similar (326 on the iPhone, 320 on the N4) basically just means that the N4's screen is a third larger, which is a plus and a minus.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post

You didn't state what history you have with either platform.

As for me, I was all iPhone since it came out in 2007.

Last year the 4S didn't wow me as much as when the 4 came out but I went for it anyway. Possibly due to Siri, which I think so was mostly an artificial limitation for the 4.

Then came the iPhone 5 and I just could not pull the trigger on it. But I have been wanting a larger screen since before the 4S came out (loved the supposed "teardrop" iPhone 5 that was all over the net). I was disappointed that the i5 was basically a slightly stretched 4S. Yes I know it is thinner but I never complained about the size of my 4, or 4S (or prior). Plus, this time there was no artificial limitation imposed on my 4S: I have just about everything that is on the i5 aside from the stretched screen. So there was nothing compelling that woud make be get the i5 and especially to extend my contract for it.

So I ordered the N4 and should get it today. I don't know yet how I will like it compared to my iPhones but I will say I am tired of waiting for iOS jailbreaks so I can use my jb apps that I paid real money for. I'm not a "themer" but I do like extra features that Apple does not allow natively (MyWi, iBlacklist, BiteSMS, etc.).

So far I am liking what I see about the Nexus 4. And for the price, with no contract, there was little risk. If I abhor it I am sure I can sell it for what I paid, if not more.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

The iPhone 5 is probably the best overall device on the market. It's quite an amazing little piece of technology. If iOS is your bag, and you like the 4" screen size, then go for it. If you want the customization of Android and/or a big screen, then go there. That's really all there is to it.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:05 PM   #8
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Moot point if you need one in the next few weeks... unless you want to go to eBay.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Stop with these compare stuff and wich is better, if you want/like iOS then you only have 1 choice; if you want to go android theres plenty of devices.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:01 PM   #10
michaeljohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post

What carrier do you have? If you are with Verizon, Sprint or another CDMA carrier, you can forget the Nexus 4. Good advice from JSW though.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:11 PM   #11
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
A quick look at your post history, seems like you have/had an iPhone and an iPad?

If so, are you fine with iOS or are you looking for change? It's up to you to decide what you want.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:37 AM   #12
MF878
macrumors regular

I find the Nexus 4 rather lack-luster. It brings nothing we haven't seen before in other Android devices apart from Android 4.2. I suppose you could say the same thing about the iPhone 5, but it should be obvious from my signature what I chose in the end, although, you'll also note that it suited me because I am very much engrossed in the Apple ecosystem.
iPhone 5 32GB White and Silver
MF878 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:33 AM   #13
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF878 View Post
I find the Nexus 4 rather lack-luster. It brings nothing we haven't seen before in other Android devices apart from Android 4.2. I suppose you could say the same thing about the iPhone 5, but it should be obvious from my signature what I chose in the end, although, you'll also note that it suited me because I am very much engrossed in the Apple ecosystem.
Were you expecting some new software or hardware feature?
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices