Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:51 PM   #51
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...
McDonald's sold more than 100000 times as many food servings as El Bulli, but according to El Bulli, McDonald's isn't really food.

Don't mix quantity with quality and/or specs marketing with actual usability.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:54 PM   #52
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
We will never know how many units are sold, unless they tells. I could easily flood the market with my tablet, doesn't mean that many of them were sold.
Yap, because reatailers will stock month after month the tablets or smartphones not sold

Grow in revenues is also because retailers stock the non sold tablets and smartphones
Oletros is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:55 PM   #53
AppleInMyBlood
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymonk View Post
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something?

Just kidding, but seriously though, where are these tablets being sold?
This. I have never seen one single non-iPad tablet in the wild, with the possible exception of a weird looking tablet I saw from a distance, but it may simply have been an iPad in an unusual case.
AppleInMyBlood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:55 PM   #54
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
Shipped doesn't equal sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
McDonald's sold more than 100000 times as many food servings as El Bulli, but according to El Bulli, McDonald's isn't really food.

Don't mix quantity with quality and/or specs marketing with actual usability.

Here endeth the lesson.
As long as that lesson includes that comment about all companies. Not just Samsung. I assume you also discount the popularity of the iPhone, etc when making that comment?
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:55 PM   #55
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
LOL!

"I don't see anyone buying samsung tablets, they are all buying Nexus".....which is a samsung tablet.
No, Nexus 7 is not a Samsung tablet
Oletros is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:56 PM   #56
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymonk View Post
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something?

Just kidding, but seriously though, where are these tablets being sold?
Really? I have seen many other non apple tablets in the wild
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #57
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
As long as that lesson includes that comment about all companies. Not just Samsung. I assume you also discount the popularity of the iPhone, etc when making that comment?
c'mon you know those don't apply to Apple
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #58
mantan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
There's no way for one company to dominate everything.

I don't want the iPhone to be the only phone.

I don't want the iPad to be the only tablet

Bring on the competition. Cage Match time.
THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

Do you think the iPad Mini would have ever saw the light of day if it wasn't because the competition was selling 7 inch tablets?!?

So many people are blinded by their love for Apple that they fail to realize the BEST thing for them as a consumer is competition!!!

Last edited by mantan; Nov 5, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
mantan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #59
Cevap
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
The foot in the door for the Android tablets is the cheap 7 inchers. What worries me is when all those guys decide, "Hey, a tablet is useful after all" and want to upgrade, they'll choose an Android and not an iPad. Apple should have priced the iPad Mini a lot more aggressively. Sure margins take a hit in the immediate future, but long term it would have destroyed that foot that Android had in the door.

Now it's anyone's guess.
Why would that worry you?
Cevap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:02 PM   #60
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...
Question: Does the Galaxy Note and Note 2 fall into this category? Seems like Samsung could count Note sales for both the smartphone and tablet markets....
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #61
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Question: Does the Galaxy Note and Note 2 fall into this category? Seems like Samsung could count Note sales for both the smartphone and tablet markets....
No, they're smartphones, not tablets
Oletros is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #62
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspeaked View Post
What's your point? That you need to spend several hundred dollars to be considered worthy in a tablet study?
Not at all.

My point is that I'm not sure how many devices actually compete with the iPad.

The Nexus 7 for example does, but some of the entry level tablets I wouldn't consider competition.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:06 PM   #63
Battlefield Fan
Banned

I love my iPad but it was expensive for what it is. It's not something that I will update every year. Maybe every 2-3 years at minimum.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:07 PM   #64
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
Quote:
True. But Apple doesn't report sold either.
Yes they do. in fact they did so just today: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...hree-Days.html
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:09 PM   #65
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaco002 View Post
400% is quadrupling
The key word here is growth. If I grew 100%, I would be 200% my original size, so 100% growth is doubling, 200% is tripling, etc.
lowbatteries is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:10 PM   #66
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Do "kindles" get counted in this? (Not kindle fires, but plain ole kindles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No
Are you sure? According to IDC's website, their Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker includes ereaders.

http://www.idc.com/tracker/showprodu...jsp?prod_id=81
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:10 PM   #67
Lancetx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
True. But Apple doesn't report sold either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightTheFuture View Post
Yes they do. in fact they did so just today: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...hree-Days.html
That's right. This is a direct quote from Apple's most recently released quarterly earnings report.

Quote:
Apple sold 14.0 million iPads during the quarter, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.
Lancetx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #68
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

I personally can't think of a single time I've seen someone using an android tablet in the wild.

It makes no difference to me what other people use. I don't even have a tablet. But honestly, I see iPads everywhere and can't pinpoint a time where I've noticed a single android tablet.

I live in a well known, major city in California.
OtherJesus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:14 PM   #69
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No, they're smartphones, not tablets
Are you sure?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #70
kemal
macrumors 6502

1) This will finally be the end of Apple. I'm 82% sure depending on how the iPad sells in Ohio.

2) There will be a decrease in the rate of increase in Samsung's tablet sales growth rate.

3) Stating 400% is quadrupling leaves you underestimating by 20%.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #71
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
LOL!
"I don't see anyone buying samsung tablets, they are all buying Nexus".....which is a samsung tablet.
Um. The Nexus 7 is made by Asus, *not* Samsung.

Samsung makes the Nexus 10. Samsung's 7-inch tablets are the:
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Galaxy Tab 2 7"
They also have an 8.9 inch tablet and two 10 inch tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherJesus View Post
I personally can't think of a single time I've seen someone using an android tablet in the wild.
Most tablets I see around are ipads, which makes sense because most tablets that have been sold are ipads. That is changing (as the new sales figures illustrate). I know plenty of people with either.

Quote:
It makes no difference to me what other people use. I don't even have a tablet. But honestly, I see iPads everywhere and can't pinpoint a time where I've noticed a single android tablet.
I live in a well known, major city in California.
Stop hanging out in coffee shops with hipsters and maybe you'll start seeing people with non-Apple hardware.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:23 PM   #72
Bytor65
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
LOL!

Nexus 7 is built by Asus.

I just want to know the source of the Samsung numbers and what the big Samsung tablet mover is supposed to be.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:23 PM   #73
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post
...I'm not buying the 50% market share number. Just going by my observations of tablets I see in the wild and the many friends who own tablets (I know dozens of people with tablets) it has to be way higher than that. I only see the occasional non-iPad and among my friends there are a couple that have non-iPads.

I would be willing to bet if you lined up 100 tablet owners that 75% or more would be rockin' iPads.
This is WORLDWIDE shipments...not just your neighborhood, city, or even country. Apple is clearly losing the game in growing markets that are crucial...which ultimately means comparatively less long-term revenue for R&D that it needs to battle the other tech companies in the future.

In other words, our iPhones are pretty awesome now...but Samsung is about to have a whole lot of cash from these growing markets to develop stronger competition...unless Apple makes some changes, fast.
somethingelsefl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:29 PM   #74
rmendol1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Apple market share slips as competitors give their products away at cost. Shocker.

Didn't Dell and HP prove that chasing market share at the cost of profitability is a really bad idea?

Apple remains in the driver's seat. No time for cruise control though - time to mash the pedal down. Android's tablet ecosystem still sucks and will likely continue to do so for some time as developers struggle to make money in the space.
I love it when people try and defend the mini pricing over the 7/Fire because of the ecosystem. I'm not saying one is better then the other as Id be happy with any of the devices. Its hard to argue with $159 for the Fire as very quality product for someone on a budget. Its over 170 dollars cheaper!

Seriously maybe Android/Amazons ecosystem is a little behind in terms of quality apps then iOS but it certainly has its fair share of very useful apps and some better ones even.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus, KitKat 4.4.4, Rooted
rmendol1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:40 PM   #75
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingelsefl View Post
In other words, our iPhones are pretty awesome now...but Samsung is about to have a whole lot of cash from these growing markets to develop stronger competition...unless Apple makes some changes, fast.
How can they when the sell most of their products at cost or sometimes below cost?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion