Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:34 PM   #176
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I'd love to know where all these other tablets are being sold. I was just on a flight to San Diego and I saw a number of people using tablets in the airport and on the plane and they were all iPads.
The sales figures cover a single quarter. There will be close to a hundred million iPads sold between 2010 and 2012 so they're still the overwhelming majority of tablets in use but the competition is ramping up in a growing market.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:14 PM   #177
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

This is comparing shipped and sold ipads to numbers that don't even exist as sales to consumers.

At the end of the day apple is selling more ipads not less and is still selling them at full price and making profits... and making consumers happy.

Now i'm no genius but I've not seen anyone under the age of past it with anything but an ipad and the mini will smash the current 7 inch market again.

The whole, 'this is what we made' crap just means nothing compared to sales.

Guaranteed in a years time when samsung etc people upgrade to the next tablet they won't because they don't want the best bit of kit they just want something cheap and are happy to struggle or desert the tablet platform, it's not a long term ecosystem game they are playing.
alexgowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:28 PM   #178
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbeth View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't realise your opinion represented that of the entire population. Silly me

likewise.
komodrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:29 PM   #179
edinburghmac
macrumors newbie

I don't know where IDC get these figures - I looked at their report but there is no mention of their sources. I'm sure they're the usual guesstimates that no one will be able to verify - the only numbers on here that can be verified are those for Apple as they're the only company that actually publish their sales figures. It's clear that the iPad continues to be a huge success for Apple which is only becoming more dominant with it's expansion to smaller sizes and lower prices and are the only company making any money in the iPad market (I won't call it the tablet market as it is clear that this market was created and dominated by the iPad). The attempts of android to enter this market are hampered by historically poor software support and both Amazon and Google undercutting the market with loss leading products designed to sell their services. A realistic view to take on impact in this area is to examine web use statistics, which is over 90% for iPad and profit, which I believe is over 100% for iPad (due to loss leading android products).
edinburghmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:26 PM   #180
kas23
macrumors 603

In other news, Apple is now suing Samsung over the potential use of a stylus. Grasping at straws is what it is. I think Apple's starting to feel the heat in the kitchen.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:25 AM   #181
Ryan John
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Why do you think it is "utterly ridiculous" to assume that not all products that are shipped into the channel are eventually sold? Seems like common sense to me.
I was referring to the statement that retailers just throw goods away. Makes no business sense and does not happen.
Ryan John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:31 AM   #182
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan John View Post
I was referring to the statement that retailers just throw goods away. Makes no business sense and does not happen.
I was just using it the term to refer to however they choose to dispose of unsold products. Whether they return it to the manufacturer, toss it in the trash, or send it to be recycled is irrelevant.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:37 PM   #183
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonmd View Post
Just curious what is stopping me from that?
So the magical "Dock to HDMI"-connector is bundled with your iPad?

Just curious...

I never heard of a working connection with the Dock-to-USB-cable since iOS doesn't allow anyone to mount the data system (at least that was my experience up to iOS4).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #184
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagi View Post
So the magical "Dock to HDMI"-connector is bundled with your iPad?

Just curious...

I never heard of a working connection with the Dock-to-USB-cable since iOS doesn't allow anyone to mount the data system (at least that was my experience up to iOS4).
What's magical about it and why does it have to be bundled?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:23 PM   #185
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What's magical about it and why does it have to be bundled?
What other method is available to get your content to your AVR? AFAIK AirPlay neither is open nor is it widely adopted. Comprtitors offer both...HDMI out and DNLA.
swagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:51 PM   #186
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
What other method is available to get your content to your AVR? AFAIK AirPlay neither is open nor is it widely adopted. Comprtitors offer both...HDMI out and DNLA.
Why is another method needed? Maybe you forgot the conversation. You implied he would have a problem getting his iTunes content from his iPad 4 to play on his TV without an AppleTV. The lightning to hdmi adapter will let him do that.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:35 AM   #187
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why is another method needed? Maybe you forgot the conversation. You implied he would have a problem getting his iTunes content from his iPad 4 to play on his TV without an AppleTV. The lightning to hdmi adapter will let him do that.
Which you have to buy seperately, haven't you? That's what the conversation was about.

Pay more to receive basic funtionality is part of being in the walled garden. Recheck the OP and try to figure out why I mentioned that point.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:03 AM   #188
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Which you have to buy seperately, haven't you? That's what the conversation was about.

Pay more to receive basic funtionality is part of being in the walled garden. Recheck the OP and try to figure out why I mentioned that point.
Good try. That wasn't what the conversation was about. Here is what you said:
Quote:
Well...try to get your iTunes movie content up on the big screen without an Apple TV.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #189
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Good try. That wasn't what the conversation was about. Here is what you said:
Rerefer to the post which I replied to. That post about walls you know.

I said that one wall is to put iTunes-content on the big screen OOTB.

Oh - btw - can you mount volumes in iOS now or are you still bound to your Mac as external storage. Just curious.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion