Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25, 2014, 01:34 AM   #1
beedog1221
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ohio
Need some buying advice

I currently have an ipad 2 and haven't felt the need to update until just recently. I want to switch to a smaller size in the mini. Now my question is I thought about waiting until later this year for the iPad mini with the fingerprint scanner but I'm not exactly sure what all it does besides unlock the device. Does it work that well and are there other app uses? And if not, should I just get a mini now?
beedog1221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Robster3
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedog1221 View Post
I currently have an ipad 2 and haven't felt the need to update until just recently. I want to switch to a smaller size in the mini. Now my question is I thought about waiting until later this year for the iPad mini with the fingerprint scanner but I'm not exactly sure what all it does besides unlock the device. Does it work that well and are there other app uses? And if not, should I just get a mini now?
Not worth waiting just for FPS, it will be 5 months away and you can always sell it.
Robster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 01:42 AM   #3
beedog1221
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster3 View Post
Not worth waiting just for FPS, it will be 5 months away and you can always sell it.
Your right. So the fps is just good for unlocking?
beedog1221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 01:53 AM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedog1221 View Post
Your right. So the fps is just good for unlocking?
On the iPhone 5s, you can also use it to buy things from iTunes and App Store.

At this point, I'd say wait until after the June 2 WWDC Keynote. iOS 8 should be revealed at that time, and we might hear that more functions are coming to the fingerprint scanner.

However, there's no guarantee that the fingerprint scanner will ever come to the iPads. It might remain just on the iPhone. I mean, I've always thought that vibration and flashlight would be useful on the iPad, but so far they are only on the iPhone.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a
 
Ledgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast USA
I see this as two questions in one. The first is about the fingerprint scanner, and the second is about buying now or waiting for a new iPad.

Regarding the fingerprint scanner, at this point in time it is used only for unlocking the device and for getting around password prompts on the App Store or iTunes Music Store. Any time you reset the device you'll need to re-enter the complete password to unlock the device and also to make a purchase; once the password has been entered, you'll be able to use the fingerprint scanner instead. If you reboot frequently and/or don't make purchases frequently then you may find that you're entering the full password for the store fairly often.

Most people seem to think that the fingerprint scanner is useful on their iPhones, but don't see the utility on their iPads. The thinking is that the average user may use their phone in short bursts many times during the day, but will use their iPad for long stretches at a time (and thus, the time and effort saved by a fingerprint scanner would be minuscule). This one is up to you. I use my iPad for work, where I lock and unlock the device multiple times per hour. A fingerprint scanner in an iPad would be a wonderful feature for me. If you unlock your iPad three times per day, the fingerprint scanner might not have as much utility to you.

"Buy now or wait" depends heavily on your uses and on you as a person. Is the iPad going to be used for work, or will it be something very useful to you? Do you have any qualms with selling your devices (whether on services like Gazelle or through places like eBay or Amazon)? If you answered yes and no, respectively, then you might as well buy now, use the device, and then take a small hit in upgrading with the next iPad Mini is released. We're all anticipating that the next iPads will have TouchID, but there's no guarantee that they will. It's also possible that the iPad Air 2 will have TouchID, but the iPad Mini will not. Depending on your anticipated usage, five months may be a lot of time to wait for a feature that might not show up.
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
beedog1221
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I see this as two questions in one. The first is about the fingerprint scanner, and the second is about buying now or waiting for a new iPad.

Regarding the fingerprint scanner, at this point in time it is used only for unlocking the device and for getting around password prompts on the App Store or iTunes Music Store. Any time you reset the device you'll need to re-enter the complete password to unlock the device and also to make a purchase; once the password has been entered, you'll be able to use the fingerprint scanner instead. If you reboot frequently and/or don't make purchases frequently then you may find that you're entering the full password for the store fairly often.

Most people seem to think that the fingerprint scanner is useful on their iPhones, but don't see the utility on their iPads. The thinking is that the average user may use their phone in short bursts many times during the day, but will use their iPad for long stretches at a time (and thus, the time and effort saved by a fingerprint scanner would be minuscule). This one is up to you. I use my iPad for work, where I lock and unlock the device multiple times per hour. A fingerprint scanner in an iPad would be a wonderful feature for me. If you unlock your iPad three times per day, the fingerprint scanner might not have as much utility to you.

"Buy now or wait" depends heavily on your uses and on you as a person. Is the iPad going to be used for work, or will it be something very useful to you? Do you have any qualms with selling your devices (whether on services like Gazelle or through places like eBay or Amazon)? If you answered yes and no, respectively, then you might as well buy now, use the device, and then take a small hit in upgrading with the next iPad Mini is released. We're all anticipating that the next iPads will have TouchID, but there's no guarantee that they will. It's also possible that the iPad Air 2 will have TouchID, but the iPad Mini will not. Depending on your anticipated usage, five months may be a lot of time to wait for a feature that might not show up.
Wow! When you break it down like that, this has turned into a no brainer. When you out it that way the touch Id is borderline useless for me. I do use my ipad for long stretches at a time and it's mostly reading, browsing,
beedog1221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Advice: Buying Advice Yakibomb Buying Tips and Advice 2 May 25, 2014 01:10 PM
Buying advice achie25 MacBook Air 11 Sep 14, 2013 01:10 PM
Buying advice macbanda MacBook Pro 6 Dec 22, 2012 06:35 PM
Buying Advice nicholasjc18 MacBook Pro 4 Sep 17, 2012 11:24 PM
Buying Advice george-brooks Mac Pro 14 Jul 10, 2012 05:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC