Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Halamire
macrumors regular

What's with apple...

And their 3rd iterations of iPads?

The iPad 3 was a disappointment to everyone and was replaced fast with the iPad 4 and was never talked about again by Apple. Now the iPad mini 3 just the same as the mini 2. Do you think Apple is going to pull an iPad 4 with the mini?
Halamire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Radiating
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halamire View Post

The iPad 3 was a disappointment to everyone and was replaced fast with the iPad 4 and was never talked about again by Apple. Now the iPad mini 3 just the same as the mini 2. Do you think Apple is going to pull an iPad 4 with the mini?
Hopefully
Radiating is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:08 PM   #3
justin216
macrumors 6502

Quote:

The iPad 4 introduction was for more than just poorer performance -- it was to also introduce the lightning connector and get the iPads onto a Fall update cadence. And while it was a bit early, it was still 7 months or so until they released it.

The Mini 2 (and as a result, 3) aren't poor performers, already have lightning, and is on the same update cadence. With Touch ID, they have most of the same core features. I think they did little to the Mini to partially devalue the option and push the higher-margin 9.7" iPads -- very common marketing tactic.

I don't think we'll be seeing an iPad Mini 4 until Fall 2015, at which point, it'll probably get an A8. I don't think we'll ever see the 9.7 and 7.9 iPads with the same chipset at the same time again.

For what it's worth, I'm also in the boat that I don't think we'll see a iPad Pro release until WWDC 2015 at the earliest, in June/July. Love to be proven wrong, but the lack of part leaks doesn't bode well, imho.
justin216 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:10 PM   #4
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

Here's hoping.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:

The 3 wasn't a disappointment when it first came out. It was the first retina iPad so there was considerable excitement when it was announced, and even when it turned out to have performance issues, it was only a real problem with heavy gaming. There was some debate over whether a retina screen was worth the performance hit, but *there was debate.*

With the iPad mini 3, the reaction has been meh from the moment it was announced, and almost universal agreement that touch ID alone isn't a worthy upgrade. The situation feels totally different to me than what happened with the iPad 3.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:13 PM   #6
maclove4life
Banned

Quote:

to get people suckered in.
maclove4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:37 PM   #7
DSTOFEL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin216 View Post
.........I think they did little to the Mini to partially devalue the option and push the higher-margin 9.7" iPads.......
100% agree! Follow the Money!

Maybe Apple figured that equipping the Mini Retina (original) with an inferior display (ie Gamut and muted colors), which was the only significant difference between the Mini Retina (original) and the Air (original) other than size, didn't drive as many customers to the Air as they had planned.....so they tried harder this time to widen the gulf between the to two products even further.

Last edited by DSTOFEL; Oct 19, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
DSTOFEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:33 PM   #8
addictzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTOFEL View Post
100% agree! Follow the Money!

Maybe Apple figured that equipping the Mini Retina (original) with an inferior display (ie Gamut and muted colors), which was the only significant difference between the Mini Retina (original) and the Air (original) other than size, didn't drive as many customers to the Air as they had planned.....so they tried harder this time to widen the gulf between the to two products even further.
Of course they won't. For cheaper price, you practically get (almost) same performance. Not to mention the added portability.
addictzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:17 PM   #9
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020

According to Apple, people really really want Touch ID. Maybe adding Touch ID to the mini was a major update I'm their eyes.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:26 PM   #10
ChinaRye
macrumors member

I think most people won't even realize that the iPad Mini 3 is not much of an upgrade over the 2. They will just see it is the third and newest one, buy, and slide it under the Christmas tree.

Apple doesn't really care about the Mini as much anymore. The Air is their premium tablet now.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:27 AM   #11
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaRye View Post
Apple doesn't really care about the Mini as much anymore. The Air is their premium tablet now.
When has it ever not been?
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:44 AM   #12
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaRye View Post
I think most people won't even realize that the iPad Mini 3 is not much of an upgrade over the 2. They will just see it is the third and newest one, buy, and slide it under the Christmas tree.

Too true about people not really realizing the spec difference or lack thereof. Which makes me think that maybe most people didn't realize that the mini 2 and the Air had pretty much the same spec -- the mini was the cheaper, smaller tablet, so most people assumed it had lesser specs. And Apple realized this, so they figured not matching the Air 2's specs won't make a difference to mini 3 sales.

Just a thought. What do everyone think?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:19 AM   #13
Cool Pup
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Cool Pup
Despite how frustrating some of their spec additions can be, we need to realize that Apple is catering mostly towards casual users.

The iPad 3 was underpowered for the Retina display they pushed, but yet, it still runs completely well for people who just use a tablet as an internet browser and video viewer, which is pretty much the most common use for these tablets as computer replacements for casual users.

These disappointing updates with only 1GB RAM matters not to most people.

iPhone 6 | iPad Mini 2 | 2012 MacBook Air 13" | Retina iMac 5K
Cool Pup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:19 AM   #14
DSTOFEL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictzz View Post
Of course they won't. For cheaper price, you practically get (almost) same performance. Not to mention the added portability.
Lighten up buttercup! It's going to be okay!
DSTOFEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:34 AM   #15
ChinaRye
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
When has it ever not been?
Last year it seemed both were on equal footing. I remember people taking clear sides of which was better, the Mini or the Air. Both had exactly the same specs.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:42 PM   #16
Halamire
macrumors regular

I'm still rocking the original iPad mini. I don't really use it much unless I'm driving because I have it mounted to my dashboard for music and gps
Halamire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:23 AM   #17
Eileen89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm still rocking the original iPad mini. I don't really use it much unless I'm driving because I have it mounted to my dashboard for music and gps
Both of my kids still use the first ad Mini as well, only they use theirs everyday. I never hear any complaints from either one of them about the performance.
Eileen89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad