Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Daniel3102
macrumors 6502

Question Should I get a referb iPad Air, or new 2nd gen Mini? Please help me decide!!

Hi iPad people! I am very interested in buying an iPad! I was wondering if you think its a better deal to get a referbed Air, or a NEW 2nd gen mini? I can get a new mini for 350, or I can get a referbed Air for just a few bucks more. I think it all comes down to screen size. They both have the same specs. My problem is that Im hesitant to buy a referbed iPad! has anyone ever gotten a referb?! What was its condition?! Is it just worth it to get the mini?

PLEASE help me decide!!!! I kinda want the referbed Air, but I am VERY nervous about it being a referb!!

Thank you!!!
Daniel3102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Traverse
macrumors 68020

The only difference is the size.

I got a refurb iPhone 4S when my original broke. The first refurb went bad. They gave me a second refurb and it was fine.

Personally, I like new, but Apple refurbished are as close to new as a refurb can get.

I said "refurb" a lot....
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Daniel3102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
The only difference is the size.

I got a refurb iPhone 4S when my original broke. The first refurb went bad. They gave me a second refurb and it was fine.

Personally, I like new, but Apple refurbished are as close to new as a refurb can get.

I said "refurb" a lot....
How was the condition of the referb? Any scratches? I really think Im gonna try the referb! Also, can I pick it up, or can I only order online and get it delivered?
Daniel3102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3102 View Post
Hi iPad people! I am very interested in buying an iPad! I was wondering if you think its a better deal to get a referbed Air, or a NEW 2nd gen mini? I can get a new mini for 350, or I can get a referbed Air for just a few bucks more. I think it all comes down to screen size. They both have the same specs. My problem is that Im hesitant to buy a referbed iPad! has anyone ever gotten a referb?! What was its condition?! Is it just worth it to get the mini?

PLEASE help me decide!!!! I kinda want the referbed Air, but I am VERY nervous about it being a referb!!

Thank you!!!
New Mini 2.

1. Its new
2. Its got TouchID.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:06 PM   #5
IrishVixen
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How was the condition of the referb? Any scratches? I really think Im gonna try the referb! Also, can I pick it up, or can I only order online and get it delivered?
You cannot purchase a refurb from a retail location. They are only available from apple.com and will be shipped to your home.

And if you're going with a refurb anyway, why not consider a refurb Mini 2 for even less? Unless you're taking a trade in into the store (only good if you're trading in an old iPad towards a new one) or have to have one in your hands today, there's really no reason to get a brand new Mini 2 while refurbs are available. They're factory reconditioned by Apple to be "as new", and carry the same 1 year warranty. So why pay more?
IrishVixen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Traverse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
New Mini 2.

1. Its new
2. Its got TouchID.
The MIni 2 doesn't have Touch ID

----------

Quote:
Returns where like new.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
The MIni 2 doesn't have Touch ID

----------

Returns where like new.
Oh youre right, touchID was second gen retina mini... Actually mini 3.

OP, get that one. Use a complex password+TouchID.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:22 AM   #8
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

If you can live without Touch ID (which is the only difference) you should save $100 and get the mini 2.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:42 AM   #9
justinTlME
macrumors regular

You're right in saying the only difference is the screen size. I love my mini 2 and its portability. However, I will admit I miss the larger 9.7" screen for things like games and surfing the web when portability isn't a big deal. THis is precisely why I am buying an Air 2 this week to have as my "home" iPad, while still keeping my mini 2 as my portable travel/work iPad. I was going to see it to best buy for $256, but it's more valuable to hang onto it and use for those purposes.

If you don't need or want a larger screen you will LOVE the mini 2. It's a zippy little iPad!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:36 AM   #10
DSTOFEL
macrumors regular

Quote:

Thank you!!!
If you live in a city that has a Microcenter, you can get a new Air original 32GB WIFI do $399....another option!
DSTOFEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Closingracer
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Refurbs are like new basically . They take it apart and add a new chassis. My iPhone 4 back when it came out had a damaged speaker the day after I got it in the mail and the refurb was amazing. I threw the phone , dropped it on concrete and survived hail storms for the 20 months I owned it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTOFEL View Post
If you live in a city that has a Microcenter, you can get a new Air original 32GB WIFI do $399....another option!

Are they authorized resellers though ?
Closingracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:05 PM   #12
Trickhot3102
macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Let start by saying thank you for all of the replies!!!

OK, by a surprising (and awesome) turn of events, I came home with a NEW iPad mini 2!!! Basically, I have had enough saved for the mini 2, but I didn't have enough for the 30 bucks tax (hey that's alot for someone that's working minimum wage! Lol!). So I was telling a buddy of mine that I was 30 bucks short and he gave me the money!! At first I didn't accept it and I kept giving it back but he insisted that I take it and get an iPad (maybe so I'd stop talking about it! Lol). So, I decided on the mini 2 and I got it!!! It's a 32 gig space gray model! I LOVE IT!! Thank you to everyone that helped me decide!!!
Trickhot3102 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad