Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viajy127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
This will be my first MAC purchase. I have a windows laptop on its last legs and we decided to go MAC.

I want a laptop but my wife thinks a desktop will be better for my kindergartener.

I'm leaning towards the 2011 refurb 21" for a few reasons:
- DVD drive - RIP DVD's using my windows laptop now... not sure how to do this on MAC but I'll figure it out eventually
- Upgradeable RAM
- Cheaper

I usually don't like buying old Apple technology because they seem to be dropped off from future upgrades (especially in the iOS world) but since the processors are the same, would I really be missing much by going with the 2011 version?

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
This will be my first MAC purchase. I have a windows laptop on its last legs and we decided to go MAC.

I want a laptop but my wife thinks a desktop will be better for my kindergartener.

- DVD drive - RIP DVD's using my windows laptop now... not sure how to do this on MAC but I'll figure it out eventually
- Upgradeable RAM
- Cheaper

I usually don't like buying old Apple technology because they seem to be dropped off from future upgrades (especially in the iOS world) but since the processors are the same, would I really be missing much by going with the 2011 version?

In the same boat BUT i am looking at the 27inch..

A external Dvd drive isn't much at all, might at well just get the latest release. (although i do believe apple dropped the ball on the new imac and rmbp)

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
A external Dvd drive isn't much at all, might at well just get the latest release. (although i do believe apple dropped the ball on the new imac and rmbp)

Just curious, what is it that you don't like about the new iMac?

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Just curious, what is it that you don't like about the new iMac?

1. 100$ higher in cost
2. SD card slot moved to the rear wich makes it hard to get too (esp in my situation, and i use this a good amount)
3. optical drive was taken out and sd card moved to make the edges "slimmer". While smaller is nice, not a major concern with a non portable device.

New to the whole mac world, but with anything else as time advances you normally get more for your money. Not so much this time.

Should give you both the track pad and magic mouse to make up for the difference in price then i wouldnt have any bad negative about it.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
1. 100$ higher in cost
2. SD card slot moved to the rear wich makes it hard to get too (esp in my situation, and i use this a good amount)
3. optical drive was taken out and sd card moved to make the edges "slimmer". While smaller is nice, not a major concern with a non portable device.

New to the whole mac world, but with anything else as time advances you normally get more for your money. Not so much this time.

Should give you both the track pad and magic mouse to make up for the difference in price then i wouldnt have any bad negative about it.

I understand what you are saying. Those are some valid points.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

- Upgradeable RAM
- Cheaper

Bold: Really? I have an ip3gs that has ios6 installed. I don't use it as a phone anymore, but it works fine as an ipod with ios6 on it. Sure you lose some features, but the ios still works.

There will be differences in the machines, but at this point without any benchmarks and reviews it's hard to know what those differences will be. I don't like paying premium prices for refurbs, especially so close to the release of the new imac. What's the price difference?

----------

1. 100$ higher in cost

1. I think you'll find that this is a major redesign with a significantly improved display with great specs (27). I don't think the extra is a big ask although i'd have liked it to be the same.

2. Fair enough. Many people just plug their camera directly into their computer or even more people are just using their iphones. You are in the minority here unfortunately.

3. Others have deliberated that the thinner design is all part of an overall push to better ventilate the machine. True or not, I really like the thin edges and lighter weight. It's evolution. I like the Optical Drive outside. It was a heat machine and also if it broke (which they often did) it was a PITA to get repaired. External may not be quite as convenient, but it certainly allows more freedom and also if something goes wrong. it's easy to fix.

I think this is a huge update to the new imac for the 27s. They aren't cheap, but so far they are looking like absolutely fantastic machines. But we won't know for sure until reviews come in.

adit

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
I was waiting for the new iMacs as well and in the end went for a slightly used 21.5" iMac over the weekend.

I couldn't be any happier with my purchase and wished I had pulled the trigger back in August when I really needed the machine.

Saved some money and have a machine more than capable for my needs. :)

viajy127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Bold: Really? I have an ip3gs that has ios6 installed. I don't use it as a phone anymore, but it works fine as an ipod with ios6 on it. Sure you lose some features, but the ios still works.

I have a 1st gen iPAD that is not eligible for IOS6. Its less than 2 years old. I do think a product shold be supported for more than 2 years. Serves me right for buying an IOS device more than 6 months after launch

I have a 2nd and 3rd gen ipod touch that fall into the same boat.

So yes, I do think the lack of long term support on ios devices is an issue. I'm wondering if that holds true for iMACs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.