Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Planned or not, Apple has made consumers change their thinking of the iPad in general.

It's no longer "Do I need an iPad?" It's, "Which iPad do I need?"

This shift in thinking is either:

Exactly what Apple planned from the beginning.
A result of an increased amount of competition (plethora of options available).
Dumb luck.

Or, of course, none of the above. It's just interesting that we don't see nearly as many "Why do I need an iPad?" threads created lately.

Thoughts?

richy d

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Planned or not, Apple has made consumers change their thinking of the iPad in general.

Dumb luck.

Or, of course, none of the above. It's just interesting that we don't see nearly as many "Why do I need an iPad?" threads created lately.

Thoughts?

Agreed... 10" was never a size I wanted to carry about, so I would never have bought an ipad if they hadn't created a smaller version.

Actually it was the Nexus 7 that brought me into the tablet world (I was one of those people who thought whats the need of a tablet if I have a smartphone and also a laptop)... as the nexus was so cheap, this allowed me to try it out and see if I liked it (I figured that even if I only ever used it for the odd train journey here and there it would be a justified purchased).... however, I realised just how handy it was (but screen was a tad too small).. the ipad in 7.9 is the perfect form factor for me & now I cant see myself looking back.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Dumb luck.

Thoughts?

Consumers will look at it as: "Which iPad is the cheapest?"

And that's what they'll buy.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

Dumb luck.

I say its Dumb Luck.

Apple may be overflowing with talent, but they also have an ego that drives them many times in the wrong direction. (And to make it worse, an army of hypocritical sycophants that can't think for themselves and will die defending someone elses opinion).

Apple's talent may have created the best 7" tablet out there but theyre late because Apple didn't push for the smaller tablet. Apple fell into it because the market screamed for it while Apple was busy preaching "9.7in is perfect and 7in is not".

The big lesson I would hope people would learn is that Apple's first choice is not always the best. 3.5" phones and 9.7" tablets are great but they are NOT the perfect size. And some day soon maybe we'll actually see a phone bigger than 4".

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Consumers will look at it as: "Which iPad is the cheapest?"

And that's what they'll buy.

Not true, they will look at apps, form factor, price of course, but cheap tablets are for Cheap people and ipad is for ppl who can afford a decent tablet

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I say its Dumb Luck.

Apple may be overflowing with talent, but they also have an ego that drives them many times in the wrong direction. (And to make it worse, an army of hypocritical sycophants that can't think for themselves and will die defending someone elses opinion).

Apple's talent may have created the best 7" tablet out there but theyre late because Apple didn't push for the smaller tablet. Apple fell into it because the market screamed for it while Apple was busy preaching "9.7in is perfect and 7in is not".

The big lesson I would hope people would learn is that Apple's first choice is not always the best. 3.5" phones and 9.7" tablets are great but they are NOT the perfect size. And some day soon maybe we'll actually see a phone bigger than 4".

Exactly...remember Steve saying the 7 inch tablet were 'tweeners' and were 'DOA'.

A lot of revisionist historians on MR will try to spin this into 'this was Apple's plan all along'. The 7 inch market was bigger than Apple ever imagined and they were late to the party.

The funny this is all the people on here who agreed with Steve that there was no place for a 7 inch tablet...heck, people doubted there was going to be a Mini all the way until it was announced. And now they are all crowing about how this is the optimal sized tablet.:rolleyes:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The nexxus 7 is a perfectly capable alternative to the iPad. People buy for their needs and not necessarily whats cheap.

TomCat

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2000

Dumb luck.

Thoughts?
Ridiculous.

This is just time marching on. Our great grandmothers pondered "which washing machine should I buy?" because by then there was a choice and the technology had obsoleted beating your clothes on the rocks. When Amana microwave ovens appeared in the late 60's it was "should I get one?" and by the 80's it was "which model of the dozen or so available should I buy?"

That's the pattern whenever someone changes the world, and the iPad in 2010 vs. the iPad/iPad mini/Kindle/Nook/Nexus/Asus/whatever in 2012 is just one more example of exactly the same thing. Get over it; it's what's normal.

It does point out the acceleration of technological change, however; it took 20 years for microwave ovens to be in every home, and 2 years for the tablet computer to get there. Producers are now afraid to show modern technology in movies because of how fast it dates them by the time they are available for streaming.

Stuff changes, we adapt. Before about 1992 no TV shows really showed people talking on cell phones, and today you can't watch any show that doesn't depict that regularly. X-Files was one of the first. Not that long ago I saw a circa-1995 episode of X-Files with Scully talking to Mulder on a cell phone, and it looked like she was holding a small sewing machine to her head.

Apple is just exceptionally good at being first, and being best, and they have a 35-year track record to prove it. Plus they have the guts to roll the dice instead of being me-too followers like everyone else, so they find themselves in the role of world changers quite often. And we simply adapt to how the world changes. It's not exactly breaking news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.