Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Exino
macrumors member

It's been a few days - keeping your mini smart cover?

So it's been a few days and people have had a chance to play around with device and cover at the same time. Anyone returning or returned their smart cover for their iPad Mini? I find mine much easier to hold without the cover, but that might just be me.

Some people have also talked about it not laying flat (like my own), and even leaving marks/stains on the back of their devices.

So, are you going to keep it, or is there something better on the horizon? I'm not buying one of those 3" thick Folio cases, defeats the purpose.
Exino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:48 PM   #2
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

I was thinking about returning my smart cover as I find it more annoying than helpful (esp at $40!). I detest sleeves for phones but was thinking a sleeve would be the perfect "case" for the mini. Gonna keep an eye out.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
bagelmaker
macrumors member

I don't love my Smart Cover, but I don't dislike it enough to actually return it. It does leave two lines on my screen where the micro fiber doesn't touch. I'll buy a few cases and test them out. My guess is I'll end up preferring the cases.
bagelmaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4
jbromer
macrumors 6502

I returned mine after 2 days. Decided I'd rather just get a case for some grip and with a little bit of lip to protect the glass if it goes face down.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Exino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
I was thinking about returning my smart cover as I find it more annoying than helpful (esp at $40!). I detest sleeves for phones but was thinking a sleeve would be the perfect "case" for the mini. Gonna keep an eye out.
Yeah, I was thinking of going the sleeve route as well, just haven't seen any come out yet, but by the time they do my return period on my Smart Cover will be over anyway. Price aside, it's not a terrible accessory, I'm just not convinced it's the best (especially if it leaves marks, besides the grease lines).
Exino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:57 PM   #6
glen e
macrumors 68030

I probably have 15 cases for my ipads over the years, all the way from wood portentzo type to leather folios and the like. I still always come back to the smart cover/hardshell back combo that locks the smartcover on. It travels better than any case so far and slides into briefs and messenger bags better than any other case. It will lie flat in time, keep it clean and it will not leave marks. I like the poly hinge better than the metal hinge, as it will not mark the ipad like the metal hinge. I do think it is overpriced at $39 and should be $29.

My plan is to run a dark grey smartcover and clear back with black CF stripes on the cover, from icarbons.com

But if I am doing business and not traveling, a folio is my choice - from Incipio or Spiegen.

Last edited by glen e; Nov 5, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:11 PM   #7
kingalien
macrumors regular

Didn't even bother with the Smart Cover. If it was leather for $39 I would have bought one, but for a poly, never at that price.
kingalien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Keeping mine - since it was free - returning my mini though
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
technopimp
macrumors 6502

I might return it. The fact that it doesn't really fit well (when it's closed if you hold the iPad in one hand the cover bows up since it kind of hangs over the edges) plus the way it slops around due to the poly "hinge" makes me less than thrilled with it.

I don't like cases or anything like that, I really just wanted something so I could keep the screen protected when not in use (I don't like screen protectors so that's out) so maybe I'll get a sleeve. I'm not really concerned about protecting the back since I've never scratched any of my other iPads.

Plus, $39...really ? C'mon...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:09 AM   #10
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
I might return it. The fact that it doesn't really fit well (when it's closed if you hold the iPad in one hand the cover bows up since it kind of hangs over the edges) plus the way it slops around due to the poly "hinge" makes me less than thrilled with it.

I don't like cases or anything like that, I really just wanted something so I could keep the screen protected when not in use (I don't like screen protectors so that's out) so maybe I'll get a sleeve. I'm not really concerned about protecting the back since I've never scratched any of my other iPads.

Plus, $39...really ? C'mon...
Smart Cover manufacturing cost - under $1.00. Retail $39.99. No one should support such an excessive price ... that's Apple arrogantly fleecing customers.

Vote with your wallet, buy something else.
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:27 PM   #11
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
Smart Cover manufacturing cost - under $1.00. Retail $39.99. No one should support such an excessive price ... that's Apple arrogantly fleecing customers.

Vote with your wallet, buy something else.
Yep. Bought one and returned it the same day. Not worth it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:36 PM   #12
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbromer View Post
I returned mine after 2 days. Decided I'd rather just get a case for some grip and with a little bit of lip to protect the glass if it goes face down.
Did you need the original packaging to return the smart case? The associate at the apple store threw mine away when I was setting up the Pad mini in the store. I want to return mine and get a case that provide all around coverage.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:49 PM   #13
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
Did you need the original packaging to return the smart case? The associate at the apple store threw mine away when I was setting up the Pad mini in the store. I want to return mine and get a case that provide all around coverage.
Yeah I believe you do.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:06 PM   #14
pasadena
macrumors regular

I'm keeping mine, although it's not as good as I wish it was, especially for the price. But it's still the best compromise I've found.

It does slag a bit, and it's 1 or 2 mm too wide. It leaves mark, not on the back, but on the screen but they're not that noticeable.

It's also pretty (I got the pink one, and find it pretty fun), thin, and most of all unobtrusive. I don't like cases.

I may change for something else in a few weeks/months when the manufacturers get it right
pasadena is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:24 PM   #15
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dave View Post
Yeah I believe you do.
Lame!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I returned a creme color smartcover last year at the ft lauderdale store with no packaging. I just had my email receipt from buying it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:33 PM   #17
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
I returned a creme color smartcover last year at the ft lauderdale store with no packaging. I just had my email receipt from buying it.
Glad to here it. Mine is going back. I saw a survivor case I might get but I would really prefer a nice, classy folio style case.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:36 PM   #18
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Glad to here it. Mine is going back. I saw a survivor case I might get but I would really prefer a nice, classy folio style case.
call first - that was 18 months ago....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #19
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Returned. Couldn't justify the $40 cost for this thing. $29 would have been better.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:18 AM   #20
Bakari45
macrumors regular

Keeping mini. I don't like bulky cases, and the smart case doesn't had much weight. And actually I have hard time holding the mini without the case. I have though ordered a slip cover from Etsy for travel purposes.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:45 PM   #21
jbromer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I had mine, and put it right back in the original packaging, but I don't know honestly...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:02 PM   #22
flatline82
macrumors regular

I'll be returning mine as well. Just, meh. I wish they released the smart case for it instead of just the cover.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:17 PM   #23
Che Castro
macrumors 601

I like it

But it leaves marks in the back and front
I have to clean it every time
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:49 AM   #24
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a

Doesn't sit right either when folded back. That's the most annoying.
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:21 AM   #25
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Mine went back... Price was major issue, that fact it was annoying unless it was covering the glass was a minor one.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories