Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
Hi, I'm looking to switch to Mac (Currently have a second hand 2005 Dell OptiPlex with Intel Pentium 4, 3.40 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM).

I have used Mac on and off since about 1998 with Bondi Blue iMac G3, even Apple II and through to the eMac when I was in University back in 2008, that was the last time I used Mac properly.

The Mac Mini seems to be the best option as I am on a budget. Just a few questions:

1. Is the base Mini processor dual-core i5 2.5 GHz a lot faster than the 3.40 GHz Pentium 4? I am a moderate to heavy user, but don't game and don't use graphic-heavy programs. I use MS Office a bit too.

2. Would the 500 GB storage be enough?

3. Would you recommend maxing out the RAM to 16GB?

I plan to get an Acer 20 inch monitor (1600 X 900 pixels, has DVI Interface), Apple wired keyboard and I'm keeping my Logitech mouse. This should come to around €808.

Any help much appreciated :)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
1. Is the base Mini processor dual-core i5 2.5 GHz a lot faster than the 3.40 GHz Pentium 4? I am a moderate to heavy user, but don't game and don't use graphic-heavy programs. I use MS Office a bit too.
Yes. The dual-core i5 benches at 3941. The Pentium 4 benches at 467. Higher is better. Check out http://www.passmark.com/index.html if you'd like to look 'em up yourself.
2. Would the 500 GB storage be enough?
You tell us. Do you have less than 500GB of files already? Then yes. Do you have more? Then no. Do you plan on having more than 500GB? Then no. Do you not plan on having more than 500GB? Then yes. You can always replace it yourself in the future, I believe.
3. Would you recommend maxing out the RAM to 16GB?
Upgrade it yourself via third party compatible RAM (when you need to). It'll be a lot cheaper. If you don't game or use graphic-heavy programs and only use MS Office a bit, then 16GB certainly isn't necessary.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
Yes. The dual-core i5 benches at 3941. The Pentium 4 benches at 467. Higher is better. Check out http://www.passmark.com/index.html if you'd like to look 'em up yourself.

You tell us. Do you have less than 500GB of files already? Then yes. Do you have more? Then no. Do you plan on having more than 500GB? Then no. Do you not plan on having more than 500GB? Then yes. You can always replace it yourself in the future, I believe.

Upgrade it yourself via third party compatible RAM (when you need to). It'll be a lot cheaper. If you don't game or use graphic-heavy programs and only use MS Office a bit, then 16GB certainly isn't necessary.

Thanks for the help. I'd say 500 GB would be plenty. I know a lot of people go on about getting the i7 for future proofing, but I intend to have this for a few years, so I think the i5 would be suitable for my needs.
As for the RAM, I heard that Crucial are really good for price. €300 for 16GB is madness! I will probably put in 8GB of RAM soon after I get the Mini, but will see how Mountain Lion fares with 4 GB.

Any base Mini users (first-time Mac users) out there who switched from Windows happy with their purchase?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.