Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1
alexmac712
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: FL
Use iMac as monitor for Mac mini?

I have iMac G5 PPC and it's losing its steam. But, I was wondering, could it be used as a monitor for the Mac mini. Can you even connect Mac mini to iMac?Would love to get new iMac, but if this is an affordable option..maybe?
alexmac712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603
 
GimmeSlack12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
You cannot use the iMac G5 as an external monitor. You can only do this with an iMac with a Thunderbolt connector.
__________________
iMac 24" iBook G4 iPhone 4 iPod 80Gb
GimmeSlack12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:39 AM   #3
SE30rulez!
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yes, though what about the following?

Instead of using as a monitor, what about an old (2007) iMac connected to a new Mac Mini via screen sharing and/or application sharing?

That is, use the iMac as a (very smart!) dumb terminal, and rely on the Mini for more modern compute horsepower. Assume connection is through home network -- ethernet, not wifi. Is this a practical configuration?

My naive questions (inspired by the original question) are:
Any pitfalls?
Is screen sharing better/worse than using the mini as a server?
And is it necessary to get a mini server versus an ordinary mini?

Many thanks to any/all who have a view on this.
SE30rulez! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Yanwoo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I'm planning on doing this with a late 2009 imac but using target mode.

My concern with using screen sharing etc. would be lag. I've used it a few times between my various machines (albeit over wifi) and there's definitely a lag. Not a problem if you're just doing a few things but if you're using it as a main way of viewing things that lag would probably be a show stopper (for me, anyway)

----------

I should have mentioned there's only a few versions of the iMac that you can use as a monitor in target mode (the 2009/2010 versions I believe?)
Yanwoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE30rulez! View Post
Instead of using as a monitor, what about an old (2007) iMac connected to a new Mac Mini via screen sharing and/or application sharing?

That is, use the iMac as a (very smart!) dumb terminal, and rely on the Mini for more modern compute horsepower. Assume connection is through home network -- ethernet, not wifi. Is this a practical configuration?

My naive questions (inspired by the original question) are:
Any pitfalls?
Is screen sharing better/worse than using the mini as a server?
And is it necessary to get a mini server versus an ordinary mini?

Many thanks to any/all who have a view on this.
Truthfully, I always feel a lot of lag when using Screen Sharing. It is not as nice as a straight up monitor connected to the Mini. You would be better off getting a fairly cheap monitor and hooking it to the mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanwoo View Post
I'm planning on doing this with a late 2009 imac but using target mode.

My concern with using screen sharing etc. would be lag. I've used it a few times between my various machines (albeit over wifi) and there's definitely a lag. Not a problem if you're just doing a few things but if you're using it as a main way of viewing things that lag would probably be a show stopper (for me, anyway)

----------

I should have mentioned there's only a few versions of the iMac that you can use as a monitor in target mode (the 2009/2010 versions I believe?)
The 2009 and 2010 27" iMac's can only be used in target display mode for Macs without Thunderbolt. So if you are planning to use your 2009 iMac in target display mode for a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, you will be out of luck. You can only use iMac's with Thunderbolt (currently only the 2011 until the 2012's come out) for target display mode for any Mac that has Thunderbolt.

Bummer I know.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
You cannot use the iMac G5 as an external monitor. You can only do this with an iMac with a Thunderbolt connector.
... or a Mini DisplayPort connector.

OS X Mountain Lion: Use another Mac as a display
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM   #7
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Good thread. I was wondering about this because when my 2008 iMac finally goes, it probably won't be the display that fails, so I'd like to reuse that as a second monitor.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
Good thread. I was wondering about this because when my 2008 iMac finally goes, it probably won't be the display that fails, so I'd like to reuse that as a second monitor.
You can't. None of the 2008 iMacs support Target Display Mode. None of them have a Mini DisplayPort.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Yanwoo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
[/COLOR]

The 2009 and 2010 27" iMac's can only be used in target display mode for Macs without Thunderbolt. So if you are planning to use your 2009 iMac in target display mode for a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, you will be out of luck. You can only use iMac's with Thunderbolt (currently only the 2011 until the 2012's come out) for target display mode for any Mac that has Thunderbolt.

Bummer I know.[/QUOTE]

That is new information for me...thank you! I had concluded from this forum that using a mini 2012 with an older 2009 iMac would work. My bad...

Now this throws my plans into disarray...back to the drawing board

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
The 2009 and 2010 27" iMac's can only be used in target display mode for Macs without Thunderbolt. So if you are planning to use your 2009 iMac in target display mode for a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, you will be out of luck. You can only use iMac's with Thunderbolt (currently only the 2011 until the 2012's come out) for target display mode for any Mac that has Thunderbolt.

Bummer I know.
Actually, are you sure? I just read this on Apple Support: "If you have a 27-inch iMac with a Mini DisplayPort, any other Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port can use it as a display." http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11302?...S&locale=en_US
Yanwoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:08 PM   #10
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanwoo View Post
[/COLOR]

The 2009 and 2010 27" iMac's can only be used in target display mode for Macs without Thunderbolt. So if you are planning to use your 2009 iMac in target display mode for a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, you will be out of luck. You can only use iMac's with Thunderbolt (currently only the 2011 until the 2012's come out) for target display mode for any Mac that has Thunderbolt.

Bummer I know.
That is new information for me...thank you! I had concluded from this forum that using a mini 2012 with an older 2009 iMac would work. My bad...

Now this throws my plans into disarray...back to the drawing board

----------



Actually, are you sure? I just read this on Apple Support: "If you have a 27-inch iMac with a Mini DisplayPort, any other Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port can use it as a display." http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11302?...S&locale=en_US[/QUOTE]

Wow, must be an update to Mountain lion? I stand corrected!
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
rkahl
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I have been doing this with my Mac mini and 2010 27" iMac. I just toggle between the two command + F2
Works great! No need to upgrade my imac because the mini keeps up with my handbrake.
__________________
Too much!
rkahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV Monitor or Computer Monitor for my Mac Mini? GlobalRaymond Mac mini 10 Apr 26, 2013 02:12 AM
Upgrade 2007 iMac or get a new iMac vs Mini + Monitor combination ozone iMac 19 Jan 16, 2013 04:26 AM
iMac 27" base vs Mac Mini High end + 27" Monitor? EcoGs21 iMac 13 Dec 2, 2012 08:16 AM
Can I use my iMac 27" late 2009 as a monitor for mac mini? Yanwoo Mac mini 4 Nov 2, 2012 12:08 AM
iMac 2009 as monitor for Mini? MatthewAMEL Mac mini 6 Aug 14, 2012 10:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC