Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

How do I delete photos in camera roll without deleting in albums?

I made an album just now. I went back to delete the pics from my camera roll but my only option is to "delete everywhere." I want to leave them in the new album I made...
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Allenz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
I made an album just now. I went back to delete the pics from my camera roll but my only option is to "delete everywhere." I want to leave them in the new album I made...
You can't, and it's lame...
Allenz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I had forgotten about this. I'll give OP credit on this topic. It is really stupid that you can't delete in one area only.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
eagleglen
macrumors 6502

I also wish there was a way to delete a photo from inside an album, where I know it is and am usually looking at, and have it delete everywhere. I'll admit, it should be an option and not the default, but when your camera roll is huge, lots of unnecessary photos get left behind.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:44 AM   #5
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Can't be done.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:42 AM   #6
MattBookBower
macrumors member

Surley this is an option that has to be put in place soon? I mean, it's actually quite stupid, if you have the option to move it into another folder, then why would you want a copy of it where you moved it from?

Backwards...
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed the camera roll and any album acts pretty much like a db table and a logical index.

I assumed the camera roll is basically a table storing all the photos.
An album is merely a logical view to those relevant photos within the camera roll.

If you want the albums to store data (like the based on camera roll) rather than pointers (to the camera roll data) then wouldn't that result in duplicate data? Would you be happy with the storage then?

Do I have this wrong?
Gutwrench is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:59 AM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

dude you've had a lot of problems with your iPhone lmao just return it.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:10 AM   #9
MattBookBower
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Why does he need to return an iPhone that doesn't do something that NO other iPhone can do? Bit pointless.

Back OT, I suppose it does act like that, but why does it even give us the chance to "move to folder", surely it should be "copy" because that is all you're doing at the end of the day!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:11 AM   #10
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Think of your camera roll as the library in iPhoto or music library in iTunes. The albums you create are organized shortcuts to photos in your camera roll. Just like pics in albums in iPhoto or songs in Playlists in iTunes.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:14 AM   #11
MattBookBower
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
Think of your camera roll as the library in iPhoto or music library in iTunes. The albums you create are organized shortcuts to photos in your camera roll. Just like pics in albums in iPhoto or songs in Playlists in iTunes.
Suppose that this is a fair point.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:14 AM   #12
SprSynJn

Why do you want to delete the picture from your camera roll, essentially from the iPhone itself, but not from the album? Isn't that a bit backwards?
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
Back OT, I suppose it does act like that, but why does it even give us the chance to "move to folder", surely it should be "copy" because that is all you're doing at the end of the day!
Was this to me? I'm not sure I am correct but I am guessing I'm close --- it's just a tad more complicated than I'm describing. I can imagine other ways to deal with the data at the db level that could invalidate my assumption. I don't program on this platform. I'm making dangerous assumptions that are likely close but not entirely correct.

Assuming I am somewhat correct, adding a photo to an album would not be a "copy" of the data but rather at the db engine level essentially an insert of the photo's camera roll address into a view so it displays in the album. The actual photo still resides in the camera roll table. The album is merely a logical view to the real data.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:31 AM   #14
MattBookBower
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Was this to me? I'm not sure I am correct but I am guessing I'm close --- it's just a tad more complicated than I'm describing. I can imagine other ways to deal with the data at the db level that could invalidate my assumption. I don't program on this platform. I'm making dangerous assumptions that are likely close but not entirely correct.

Assuming I am somewhat correct, adding a photo to an album would not be a "copy" of the data but rather at the db engine level essentially an insert of the photo's camera roll address into a view so it displays in the album. The actual photo still resides in the camera roll table. The album is merely a logical view to the real data.
Ahh ok, I think I get you now (Not the most technical person), what you're saying is that when you create that album and "move" it to that album, it's just telling that album to look in the camera roll db to get the image? (In a non technical way of explaining it)!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:33 AM   #15
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
Why does he need to return an iPhone that doesn't do something that NO other iPhone can do? Bit pointless.

Have you seen his threads? Almost all of them are about problems
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:35 AM   #16
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

To Matt, yes, that's what I imagine. Good job. Again I may have this wrong but my intuition says I'm on the right track...just over simplifying. Someone with true knowledge of this platform might chime in to confirm or correct my explanation.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:37 AM   #17
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Sync the photo album you want via iTunes then you can have the photo remain in the album and delete it from the camera roll or you can create the album on your computer put the pictures you want in it and then sync to your phone
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:41 AM   #18
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502

I think its strange that after all the talk about cutting the cord from the PC that the only way to take photos off the camera roll and put them into folders is through a computer. This should be such a simple thing to do but unfortunately its not. This will hopefully be corrected because it would save me a lot of time not having to plug my phone in and setup folders and then sync them back to the phone.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:01 AM   #19
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post
I think its strange that after all the talk about cutting the cord from the PC that the only way to take photos off the camera roll and put them into folders is through a computer. This should be such a simple thing to do but unfortunately its not. This will hopefully be corrected because it would save me a lot of time not having to plug my phone in and setup folders and then sync them back to the phone.
Photostream?
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:26 AM   #20
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Photostream?
That's still one big mess of photos. I like to organize them into folders depending on what they are. It should be pretty easy to have an option to copy or move them to a different folder. Looking though 500 pictures to find something is not much fun so I end up having to arrange them into folders on my computer and then sync them back to the iPhone. Itís not a huge deal but it is something I think Apple should fix.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:36 AM   #21
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Can't be done.
I now. So stupid. There's some pics if like to keep but can't.
1rottenapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:07 AM   #22
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Yep.. really stupid how that works. I got rid of photostream as well. Best way I've found is to periodically move the photos to a cloud sharing site and keep the photos organized that way. Also toilet time is often go through the photos and delete time. Albums IMO is terrible.
BenTrovato is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:17 AM   #23
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Dude no.

----------

As one person said I suppose one could consider camera roll as the master library of all photos but I still wish we had the option.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:40 AM   #24
Cuechick
macrumors regular

Yes, the camera roll is your "Master file" but the images taken with IP5 at 8mp can take up a lot of space. I am a professional photographer and here is what I suggest if you are on a Mac:

As someone else mentioned you can download your images from the camera roll either using Image Capture which comes with all macs and is good tool for downloading images from phones or any camera... Just hook up the phone as usual to your computer, open "Image Capture" and click on the phone icon, all your phones pics will appear, you can drag and drop the ones you want to a folder.

I suggest creating a "camera roll" folder to store your images in by monthly subfolders.

Then in iphoto create your albums, you can add any photos to these, not just photos taken with your phone. Then sync through itunes and choose the folders you'd like on your phone.

Once you have synced through itunes, you should be able to remove any or all camera roll images...
Old Aug 3, 2014, 04:46 PM   #25
electrowiz1
macrumors newbie

Camera Roll

This would seem to be a problem with the logic of calling it a Camera Roll. It all started in the real word. You shot a roll of film, it had only the pics you shot, you took it in and developed it and got the prints you wanted. When you put in a new roll you DID NOT have all the previous pictures. It would have made sense (from a machine sense) that there is a pile of all pictures somewhere and then just use pointers for organizing. But something called Camera Roll should only be the pointers to what you recently shot. Then you would move the pointers around to organised folders. You should then have the option to set the camera roll as groups with the same date, or a set quantity, or whatever.

It would just be nice when you opened the Camera Roll to only see what you took in your last session, and not the whole pile you have taken since time began. It would make selecting and moving them to albums a little easier. IMHO
electrowiz1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone