Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
The anodization on the bezel of my black iPhone 5 looks awful now. Apple says they won't do anything about it at this point. (bought on launch day) I'm thinking of polishing it.

I found this video (link below) on youtube that shows one done, it looks nice but I know nothing about sanding/polishing... Any thoughts or ideas? (the before and after photos at the end are like night and day!)

UPDATE 11/9 7:56PM MST: I will be going ahead with the polish. Will post pictures when it's complete :)

Last edited:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
post some pictures.

Pictures of mine or picture of the polished phone from the video? I'm not sure how I would post pics from a youtube video? I tried just posting the video to this forum but it couldn't figure out how.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I call BS on them. If it has defective anodizing coating it should be replaced under warranty. Mine is still flawless.
We have two Apple stores around my location. I made appointments with both Genius bars and the answer was the same at both, since I purchased it over a month ago it can't be replaced under warranty.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Pictures of mine or picture of the polished phone from the video? I'm not sure how I would post pics from a youtube video? I tried just posting the video to this forum but it couldn't figure out how.

Pictures of your phone off course..

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Pictures of your phone off course..

iphone-2.jpg

I hope you can see, I took the pic with another iPhone. It's pretty much like that all the way around front and back, worse in the back though.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Thats sucks man. Im still waiting for my black 64. Do you keep in a case?

No, but if I can find a reason to get it warrantied in the future (e.i. battery life, sticky button etc...) I will make sure to keep the new one in a case. I loved the look of the black so much I didn't want to cover it up. Plus I don't like the bulk that most cases ad, and the ones that aren't bulky usually don't offer much protection anyway.

Thats sucks man. Im still waiting for my black 64. Do you keep in a case?

Are you waiting still because they are sold out?

Last edited by a moderator:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Yep. Im going to keep mine in a sleeve like with the iphone 4.

Good thinking. I wish I would have waited... I hear they tightened their quality control and have fixed the scuff issue, or at least it's tougher to mess up now.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
We have two Apple stores around my location. I made appointments with both Genius bars and the answer was the same at both, since I purchased it over a month ago it can't be replaced under warranty.

That doesn't make sense. The warranty is 1 year. I'm assuming you can't claim defective anodized coating, and they're claiming wear and tear?

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
but its not covered by warranty, they claim that kind of scuffing is normal

Yeah, what they said, and I quote, "Scuffing is normal over time. We only cover cosmetic issues if it comes that way out of the box".

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You need to know that aluminum corrodes almost instantly without coating, specially if have sweat hands you will start to see prints from your fingers.

Anyway 150 grit sandpaper will do the trick, after that you need to buffed up (dremel hands down) and finish with a polish compaund or go for a brushed finish :)

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
You need to know that aluminum corrodes almost instantly without coating, specially if have sweat hands you will start to see prints from your fingers.

Anyway 150 grit sandpaper will do the trick, after that you need to buffed up (dremel hands down) and finish with a polish compaund or go for a brushed finish :)

Aluminum does corrode very quickly, but one of the unique properties of aluminum corrosion is that it turns into aluminum oxide which looks and feels a whole lot like aluminum. It hardens fast and protects the aluminum underneath. That along side of it's light weight is why is why it's a choice material for making airplanes, helicopters, dirt bike frames, iPhone 5's and whatnot. It should be fine without a polish compound at least until it starts looking dull, then I'll polish it back up.

If you click the link I posted initially with the thread the guy uses 1500 grit sandpaper the whole way around. IT may be too easy to mess it up or sand off too much with 150 grit.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009

150 grit?! Way to coarse to only scuff up the corners, will definitely scratch unwanted areas and will also leave it looking worse since it won't be brushed.

I did this to my blackberry bold with 1000 grit sandpaper, didn't turn out nice but that's because it wasn't a smooth surface to begin with. Lots of people have done this method with the original iPhone up to the 3GS to brush the aluminum bezels that got scratched easily. They used nail filers I believe.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I never told him how to apply lol if he rubbed gentle it wouldnt have any problem plus it all depends on the anodize; anyway great tips guys :) if op wants to go for it he have all the info he need and will be great if he posted before and after pictures :p if i had a iphone 5 i would have done it ! Mirror finish :D

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
why not just a full coverage clear skin? i plan to do this since i don't like cases either.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I call BS on them. If it has defective anodizing coating it should be replaced under warranty. Mine is still flawless.

You need to get out in the REAL world. I have three friends who have no case on their 5 and every one has scratches or other defects and nothing else stays in their pocket. Anodized aluminum is STILL soft and can and WILL be scratched. Just the fact that the aluminum is so soft should tell you that.

----------

That doesn't make sense. The warranty is 1 year. I'm assuming you can't claim defective anodized coating, and they're claiming wear and tear?

Scratching is not a defect!:rolleyes:

You car is not warranted against scratches nor is the soft aluminum on your phone!

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
You need to get out in the REAL world. I have three friends who have no case on their 5 and every one has scratches or other defects and nothing else stays in their pocket. Anodized aluminum is STILL soft and can and WILL be scratched. Just the fact that the aluminum is so soft should tell you that.

What colour do they have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.