Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tychsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Hey guys. Long time lurker here.

I've been wanting to invest in a apple product for quite some time. And now I need to get some new gear for my school work. Since I sold my asus zenbook.

So here's my dilemma. And I know you get this alot but I hope you'll drop your 2 cents.
I am torn between a 13" MBA with 128gb ssd and 8gb Ram and an Ipad 2, MacMini combo. I will be needing the devices for taking notes in lectures sharing work with class mates and potentially showing powerpoints. This is what I intended for the Ipad to do. And then i need something for light gaming, Guildwars 2 and WoW, and recording music with presonus. MacMini work.

Now the MBA would be able to do all of this, but comes with a pretty hefty pricetag. Whereas the Ipad/MacMini combo is a little cheaper but not alot, since i would have to invest in a new monitor, and a Bluetooth keyboard for the Ipad, besides the apple products.

Pros. + cons.
I would be able to take the MBA with me for recording + gaming outside of home. But the iPad would make couch surfing more comfortable for both my wife and I. And taking it with us to visit my parents in the other end of the country would be easier. It would be nice to have a stationary desktop with a large screen and a big HDD. This would make dualbooting, for GW2, easier and I would be certain to have enough space for music, apps, pictures etc. So the Mini would be the "center" of all of our devices via iCloud. + It can be upgraded easely with more ram. I don't really know if the iPad would be comfortable to use for school work. At my school we do alot of projects in groups. So I would have to be able to use dropbox and write in documents that I can share with others. And i know the MBA would be good for this. And it would be nice to have all of my stuff with me at all times in a little sexy case. And I don't download movies and a lot of music and stuff like that so i won't be running low on space in the first year or so. And if I DO run out of space i could buy a external HDD.

Sorry for the wall of text. Please drop your 2 cents and help a soon to be brother in arms. :)

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
what iPad are you looking at?

What Mini are you looking at?

I used to have the Mini but I think it's a bad value compared to an iMac and lacks the full on portability of the MBA. The new quad core is very nice though.

Personally it seems your all about portability

I would go with a iPad mini to save money or try to score a iPad 3rd gen which you probably can find really cheap on Craigslist.

I would suggest the MBA 11". The MBA is extremely thin and while it isn't touch, it has a lot more space than an iPad, has a good keyboard, has more ports, and you can do more stuff with it compared to an iPad.

The base Mini is $600 and the iPad is $500 sop correct me if your wrong but it seems like max you want to spend $1100-$1200?

I'd go with these combos

Mac Mini
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
$799

iPad Mini
$330

or

Refurbished MacBook Air 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
11.6-inch
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
$1050

iPad Mini
$330

I just would avoid the base mini at all costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.