Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nd67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2002
Can someone out there know if there is a way to print a directory/window in OSX? In OS9, one was able to go to a drop down menu in the finder an select "print window"......in the instance that you wanted to print out the content of a CD or specific folder on your drive. I can't seem to find a way to do that in OSX so every time a send off a CD to a printer or client, I can't give them a print out of what's on the disc.

Help!

Thanks!

ND67

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
I guess you could press CMD+Shift+3 to capture the entire screen or CMD+Shift+4 to select what you want. It will save images to the desktop.

Or you can go to Applications>Utilities>Grab and use that.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, one very simple way to get a list is to do a select all on the window, copy, then paste into any text-only editor (be careful not to do this with a rich text editor like TextEdit, or you'll get the contents of the files, not their names). This gives you a nice tidy alphabetical list of filenames you can print.

I don't think the old OS9 feature exists as such anymore, as I seem to remember others complaining about its absence.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
This workflow should do the trick nicely (albeit without the bells and whistles of the shareware title mentioned, though also much smaller than that 3MB piece of bloatware). Just unzip the file and install it in ~/Library/Scripts to include it in your script menu.

Edit: Heh. Just checked my script menu, and sure enough, there's already a Print Window Script in there. It's in the Printing Scripts submenu.

Also, if you don't have the script menu enabled, this excerpt from Apple explains the procedure

apple said:
Installing/Removing the Script Menu

To install the Script Menu, launch the Install Script Menu application located in the AppleScript folder in the Applications folder.

To remove the Script Menu, launch the Remove Script Menu application located in the AppleScript folder in the Applications folder.

Attachments

• printWindow.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,037

YTSEMAC

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
This workflow should do the trick nicely (albeit without the bells and whistles of the shareware title mentioned, though also much smaller than that 3MB piece of bloatware). Just unzip the file and install it in ~/Library/Scripts to include it in your script menu.

Edit: Heh. Just checked my script menu, and sure enough, there's already a Print Window Script in there. It's in the Printing Scripts submenu.

Also, if you don't have the script menu enabled, this excerpt from Apple explains the procedure

Many thanks for that very useful tip 'Kyle?', and to
'nd67' for asking the same question I was about to
ask myself! :)

Cheers,

JMcE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.