Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm waiting (like lots!) for the new iMac. Obviously it doesn't come with a superdrive.

Can any external USB drive work with iMac's? Will the new iMac be any different?

I won't use one often, but was thinking ebay maybe get either Apple one or another make?

I think sales might go up for these once the new iMacs are out

Cheers

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
I have used loads of different USB drives (mostly Hard Drives, pen drives and also a DVD reader) and have never come across any problems accessing them from any iMac or Mac Mini.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have used loads of different USB drives (mostly Hard Drives, pen drives and also a DVD reader) and have never come across any problems accessing them from any iMac or Mac Mini.

I think he's talking about DVD/CD/BluRay drives...

It is yes, I'm after a DVD read/writer possibly for the new iMac for the very odd time I would use it

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
It is yes, I'm after a DVD read/writer possibly for the new iMac for the very odd time I would use it

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I'm thinking of getting a new iMac (my first Mac) - and I actually already have an external USB CD-ROM that I've used to install software on a netbook.

It would be great if I could just whip this thing out anytime I might need to install something from a disc (although, on the spot right now, I can't think of when that might be - but it would be a nice option).

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
There are lots of portable DVD/CD burners available for around $30 on sale which are made to support the NetBook computers. I suspect most of them will work with the Mac without any problems. There have been some threads posted here with specific examples, but I have had success with an Asus and a Rosewill branded units purchased from Amazon and Newegg.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona

Yes, virtually any of them work. I use an LG Blu-ray burner, USB 2 interface, and it works perfectly right out of the box, no drivers or anything needed. (obviously OS X has no BR playback support but you can rip and burn BR discs just fine, as well as DVD+/-R/RW discs and CD/CD-R/CD-RW discs.) The built-in optical drive on my Mac never gets used anymore... why would it? You'll be in great shape with a 2012 iMac and an external USB optical drive.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005N2UE2O/ref=aa_ol_d?qid=1352286287&sr=8-1http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005N2UE2O/ref=aa_ol_d?qid=1352286287&sr=8-1Found a couple of Samsung ones for about £30. They run off USB so should be fine?

Would this one be ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-208AB-Portable-External-Writer/dp/B005N2UE2O/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I've ordered this one, cost £21 not bad for what I'll use it with...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005N2UE2O/ref=aa_ol_d?qid=1352286287&sr=8-1

Last edited:

RussWWFC

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Can anyone help in something similar to this

I have an Imac with a superdrive. But it's very fussy and won't read my previously burned DVDR's. I'm talking about stuff burned with my old Sony DVDR recorder, stuff grabbed off Freeview and old VHS tapes. But time has moved on, and I want to play them as video files from my Raspberry Pi as opposed to DVD discs

I was considering either:

Getting an external Blu-Ray drive off eBay (approx £20) but as it's a slimline model, I'm worried it will be equally as fussy

Getting a full size USB DVD rewriter from Cash Converters (I am currently using my Dad's full size rewriter in his Windows Desktop PC)

But I am worried that it's OSX being fussy rather than the drive, can other forumites offer their opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.