Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1
bg.nashville
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Upgrade to iPhone5 and Make 3GS WIFI only?

I currently have a 3GS and want to upgrade to an iPhone 5. I plan on trying the reserve option on Apple's website and pick one up at an Apple store. What steps will I need to take to make my 3GS a WIFI only device?
bg.nashville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Restore it to new and activate the 5.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:48 AM   #3
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg.nashville View Post
I currently have a 3GS and want to upgrade to an iPhone 5. I plan on trying the reserve option on Apple's website and pick one up at an Apple store. What steps will I need to take to make my 3GS a WIFI only device?
I could be wrong but I don't think there's anything you need to do (with the 3GS, at least). Assuming you'll be using the same phone number on the 5 as was on the 3GS, the 3GS will essentially become Wi-Fi only once the 5 is activated.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
ironicninja
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think there's anything you need to do (with the 3GS, at least). Assuming you'll be using the same phone number on the 5 as was on the 3GS, the 3GS will essentially become Wi-Fi only once the 5 is activated.
That seems to be the case with my 3GS
ironicninja is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:05 AM   #5
RayK
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I am doing the same with a 3GS I bought here as a backup.
__________________
24" iMac Early 2009, iPad 2 64GB VZW, iPhone 5 Verizon
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
RayK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:09 AM   #6
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 212
try updating the software on the 3GS. I know there's an option in ios 6 that allows you to turn off all network connections and strictly use wi-fi
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:13 AM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
try updating the software on the 3GS. I know there's an option in ios 6 that allows you to turn off all network connections and strictly use wi-fi
That'd be Airplane Mode. Looks like you've been able to enable Wi-Fi while Airplane Mode is on since iOS 4.2.1, so unless your 3GS is running an older iOS, you won't need to update.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb

Last edited by r2shyyou; Nov 6, 2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clarification
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
That'd be Airplane Mode. Looks like you've been able to enable Wi-Fi while Airplane Mode is on since iOS 4.2.1, so unless your 3GS is running an older iOS, you won't need to update.
if you go to settings->general->Cellular you can turn it off to restrict all data to wi-fi
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
When you upgrade to the 5 the sim card inside your 3GS will automatically be deactivated and it will be a Wi-Fi only device. You don't have to do anything.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:05 PM   #10
zman2100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Yep. The SIM will be useless, and turning on Airplane mode and then WiFi will do the trick.
__________________
Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.3GHz // Space Gray 64GB AT&T iPhone 5s // 64GB Black WiFi 3rd Gen iPad
zman2100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC