Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bg.nashville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
I currently have a 3GS and want to upgrade to an iPhone 5. I plan on trying the reserve option on Apple's website and pick one up at an Apple store. What steps will I need to take to make my 3GS a WIFI only device?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I currently have a 3GS and want to upgrade to an iPhone 5. I plan on trying the reserve option on Apple's website and pick one up at an Apple store. What steps will I need to take to make my 3GS a WIFI only device?

I could be wrong but I don't think there's anything you need to do (with the 3GS, at least). Assuming you'll be using the same phone number on the 5 as was on the 3GS, the 3GS will essentially become Wi-Fi only once the 5 is activated.

ironicninja

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I could be wrong but I don't think there's anything you need to do (with the 3GS, at least). Assuming you'll be using the same phone number on the 5 as was on the 3GS, the 3GS will essentially become Wi-Fi only once the 5 is activated.

That seems to be the case with my 3GS

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
try updating the software on the 3GS. I know there's an option in ios 6 that allows you to turn off all network connections and strictly use wi-fi

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
When you upgrade to the 5 the sim card inside your 3GS will automatically be deactivated and it will be a Wi-Fi only device. You don't have to do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.