Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
mac.fanatic
macrumors 6502

Restoring iPhone 5

My iMessage stopped working and I want to restore my iPhone to factory settings and set up as a new device. If I restore and set up as a new device through iTunes, will it reset network settings as well? Are there any settings still left after I do a restore and set up as a new device?

Would I have any problems durin the restore?
mac.fanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:58 AM   #2
darkside flow
macrumors 6502

Restoring and setting up as a new phone will leave no settings on the phone at all. If you want to retain network settings, or any settings, you'll have to restore from a back up.

My iMessages stopped working, along with FaceTime, a few days ago. All of a sudden they just started working again though.

Is your FaceTime disabled as well? This would indicate a problem with the phone interacting with the Apple servers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.fanatic View Post
My iMessage stopped working and I want to restore my iPhone to factory settings and set up as a new device. If I restore and set up as a new device through iTunes, will it reset network settings as well? Are there any settings still left after I do a restore and set up as a new device?

Would I have any problems durin the restore?
If you restore as new, yes, network settings will be reset and no, no current "custom" settings will be retained.

As for whether or not you'll have any problems, there's no way to know for sure but you shouldn't have any.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4
mac.fanatic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
If you restore as new, yes, network settings will be reset and no, no current "custom" settings will be retained.

As for whether or not you'll have any problems, there's no way to know for sure but you shouldn't have any.
If for some reason something goes wrong during the restore, it would be replaced under the one year warranty, correct?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If for some reason something goes wrong during the restore, it would be replaced under the one year warranty, correct?
No, unless the thing that went wrong was hardware-related:

Quote:
The Limited Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to the end user purchaser, but Apple, in so far as permitted by law, provides their products “as is”. Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand name (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered under this Limited Warranty.
Source: http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
mac.fanatic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Restoring and setting up as a new phone will leave no settings on the phone at all. If you want to retain network settings, or any settings, you'll have to restore from a back up.

My iMessages stopped working, along with FaceTime, a few days ago. All of a sudden they just started working again though.

Is your FaceTime disabled as well? This would indicate a problem with the phone interacting with the Apple servers.
FaceTime is working fine but iMessage won't activate. I turned it off earlier today, and have been trying to turn it on but it gets stuck at "waiting for activation"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
No, unless the thing that went wrong was hardware-related:

Source: http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf

Thanks. I don't think anything should go wrong. I have restored my other iOS devices plenty of times.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:46 AM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
FaceTime is working fine but iMessage won't activate. I turned it off earlier today, and have been trying to turn it on but it gets stuck at "waiting for activation"
If you haven't already, have a look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone