Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
iPhone5 prices quickly depreciating.... Can only sell my phone for $650 now from craigslist

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
That is correct. I used my iPhone 5 ($850) for just 3 days and had to sell it for mere $600 to get myself Galaxy note II.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
The whole product range no longer holds its value because you can't get enough for your iPhone 5?

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Really? We had an iPhone 4, refurb that we just sold [2 years, 3 months] for $250. I think that's pretty good. But they're not going to go up in value, or hold the same value as a new item. No electronic device will, unless it's the first computer ever built :D

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Oh my goodness, you can no longer price gouge and sell an iPhone 5 above retail price to make a quick buck. So sad.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Compared to full retail price, no you will not resell it for anywhere close to what you paid for it seeing as anyone with an upgrade can get the same device for hundreds cheaper. Even if they didn't have an upgrade they could simply add a line to their plan for $10 extra on their bill and get the phone and then just put their current number on that new phone and change the new line to the cheapest plan possible and still overall pay less than what the full retail cost is.

The only way you are going to come out in the green on reselling an iPhone is if you bought it with an upgrade price, not full retail, and then tried to sell it within the next two years. After the next to years you may break even or sell it for a loss.

I bought my 16GB 4 for $200 when it was released, sold it 16 months later for $300 to get my 32GB 4S. Sold the 32GB 4S 2 months ago for $360 and I priced it low because I wanted to sell it fast to recover the cost of my 32GB 5, otherwise I think I could have held out longer for $400.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Apple products "holding their resale value" is alluding to the fact that, being higher spec'ed machines to begin with, you are often able to sell them a year or two later than you could a computer from another company that came out at the same time.

The fact that people are still buying 3GS iPhones at all is an apple product 'holding its resale value.'

Talking about this phenomenon for a 2 month old phone is nonsense.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You don't judge resale value with current models but previous generation models. An unlocked 32GB iPhone 4S is still going for around $450 on ebay, no different from a year-old iPhone 4, 3GS, etc.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Oh my goodness, you can no longer price gouge and sell an iPhone 5 above retail price to make a quick buck. So sad.

So true. Every Apple product release I've seen in the last five years or so had people posting on craplist trying to make a quick buck. The iPad was the perfect example and people are still trying to profit on the third gen iPad often trying to sell a 16GB model for the same as a 32GB or 64GB. With the latest update, I was so happy that they got the shaft instead with unsold iPads still unopened and overpriced. The latest trend is the "make me an offer" or will trade for an easier to sell item such as an unlocked iPhone 4S. I laughed at one who wanted my unlocked 32GB 4S and then wanted cash from me as well. Told him I will stick with my iPad 2 and keep my phone.

tarungarg

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
It is entirely due to the Apple Maps fault in their iOS 6.0 and purple haze which reduced the value of apple

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
That is correct. I used my iPhone 5 ($850) for just 3 days and had to sell it for mere $600 to get myself Galaxy note II.

Try selling your Note Three months from now to purchase an iPhone and you will really understand financial pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.