Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I have an AppleID as I have been a long term Mac user. My work place just bought a MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" for me. I want to get the latest software updates but I need an AppleID. It seems that to create an AppleID, one has to provide credit card/payment method details. Am I right?

I do not want to use mine as it contains credit card info which could be stored on this company owned laptop. On the other hand, the company's finance department cannot give me their credit card information.

What suggestions do you have? Is there a way to upgrade/download/install applications without AppleID?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Have you tried to get an OS update without an AppleID? I know you need an AppleID of course to DL apps from the App Store, but I believe you can get core OS updates with no AppleID at all.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Have you tried to get an OS update without an AppleID? I know you need an AppleID of course to DL apps from the App Store, but I believe you can get core OS updates with no AppleID at all.

I tried but it requires AppleID to update even the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.