Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac Game Store Launches Steam-Like Digital Download App

MacGameStore.com has released a new Mac app to facilitate easy purchase and organization of games from the store. The app is similar to Steam, but specifically focused on digital game downloads for the Mac and includes many major titles from big studios like EA and Aspyr.

One particularly useful feature is a "Game Compatibility Checker" that compares the user's Mac to the game's requirements in real time, making life easier for users with slightly older machines. Another is the ability to delete purchased games and redownload them from the cloud at any time, a useful feature for MacBook Air owners with limited storage space.

The Mac Game Store can also act as a repository for all the user's games, even those not purchased through the MGS, organizing them in one place for easy access. The store also gives access to demos for many games, as well as game reviews and ratings, and more.

The app is available free from Mac Game Store's website.

Article Link: Mac Game Store Launches Steam-Like Digital Download App
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

I will try this. Looks like it could make headway.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:57 PM   #3
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Hopefully more stable than steam...

did we really need another though? steam, origin, gaikai... guess it is mac only.
charlieegan3 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4
themcfly
macrumors regular

i really don't want another store .-.
themcfly is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Skika
macrumors 68020

An App store inception.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:59 PM   #6
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by themcfly View Post
i really don't want another store .-.
but you might like the effects of more competition.
charlieegan3 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
macrumors regular

I got games for Mac, but they are all on Steam. So I don't bother buying them again on the App Store. There aren't any App Store exclusive that I like. Probably won't be downloading this app, maybe, just try out.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:00 PM   #8
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

So eventually all the game licenses people have will be spread out among twelve + "stores" and when some of them go out of business, the license owners will be screwed.

I was ok with Steam and the iOS/Mac App Store, but I have zero interest in further distributing my download-only software purchases.
dysamoria is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:01 PM   #9
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Sounds really good and one to keep
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Pechente
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Pechente Send a message via AIM to Pechente Send a message via MSN to Pechente Send a message via Yahoo to Pechente Send a message via Skype™ to Pechente
Already looks much better than the crap Valve released for OS X.
Pechente is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:03 PM   #11
nonameowns
macrumors regular

stop being stupid and get bootcamp and use steam
nonameowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Gonna have as many stores as games soon enough.
Codyak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Pechente
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Pechente Send a message via AIM to Pechente Send a message via MSN to Pechente Send a message via Yahoo to Pechente Send a message via Skype™ to Pechente
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameowns View Post
stop being stupid and get bootcamp and use steam
As if the windows app was much better. It's almost as buggy and crashy as the Mac version but at least you don't care about native looking and well integrated programs on windows.
Pechente is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:15 PM   #14
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pechente View Post
As if the windows app was much better. It's almost as buggy and crashy as the Mac version but at least you don't care about native looking and well integrated programs on windows.
I don't know what system you are using but Steam has never crashed on me since the dark days of it's launch years. It runs fine on OSX, Windows 7 and in Parallels.

This game client would be a solid addition if it was modeled after GOG and distributed DRM-free games, but as another client that shares almost exactly the same content as Steam it's throwing a pebble against a mountain.

Now if Apple reconfigured the almost-useless Game Center to be something like this ...
ArcaneDevice is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:19 PM   #15
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

This has to be the stupidest facial expression I've ever seen. It's probably a great idea to advertise a game with it.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Sep 27, 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: brilliant thread name removal
AngerDanger is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
laurim
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
This has to be the stupidest facial expression I've ever seen. It's probably a great idea to advertise a game with it.

Better not look on a mirror while you are at a sporting event, lol.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Pechente
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
I don't know what system you are using but Steam has never crashed on me since the dark days of it's launch years. It runs fine on OSX, Windows 7 and in Parallels.
I don't know which version of Steam you're using but there are system outages around 3 times a day, often profile pages don't load, trades don't load, the client isn't written in native APIs, context menus are rendered behind main windows, hl2_osx sometimes crashes, the game overlay works two in three times and the devs don't test updates on OS X before they release them. Anyone remembers the Steam update a few months back that kept every Source game from starting up or made it crash after joining a server!?

You clearly use Steam just barely or lack an eye for details that you don't notice all the flaws with the software.

Edit: Steam on OS X often crashes when quit using CMD + Q but even more often, the source games crash - also often when quit using the short key.

Last edited by Pechente; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Pechente is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:34 PM   #18
quickmac
macrumors regular

Steam on Mac was ok, but most games continue to be for Windows only so then it was Steam on Bootcamp.

But really if you are into gaming just build a custom PC for gaming, run Windows 7 with Steam installed and you're set. No switching to boot camp, no waiting for Steam for Mac to not suck, and no limitations of hardware/software compatibility.

Although for casual gaming, I'd say the App Store move is a nice touch, since I now use my MBP only for work/portable tasks I'd consider buying a game or two from App Store to keep on the go.
quickmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #19
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Steam must be steaming thanks to win 8 and this.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #20
emulator
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to emulator Send a message via AIM to emulator Send a message via MSN to emulator Send a message via Yahoo to emulator Send a message via Skype™ to emulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
did we really need another though?
No.
emulator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Yet to experience a Steam crash on Windows. OS X however... different story.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:46 PM   #22
xAgustinx
macrumors regular

Nice to hear that it has Game Compatibility Checker.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:46 PM   #23
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You clearly use Steam just barely or lack an eye for details that you don't notice all the flaws with the software.

Edit: Steam on OS X often crashes when quit using CMD + Q but even more often, the source games crash - also often when quit using the short key.
Barely? My library of about 95 games says otherwise.

Flaws and bugs are completely different. For example if you want to use the two interchangeably then iOS email is the buggiest email client on the market.

edit: And just to test Steam, I just opened and quit it several times without issue in Mountain Lion.

Last edited by ArcaneDevice; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
ArcaneDevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:49 PM   #24
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

MGS.com Servers down...

I have a MGS account and it's nice to be able to buy these games online, but hey... why not use the Mac App Store? Guaranteed store and lots of exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 9.47.14 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	364117  
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:52 PM   #25
tuncer
macrumors member

Sorry about that. We had no idea MacRumors was going to post the article today and traffic went to hell.

The article should say "MacRumors kills Macgamestore.com"

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion