Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old May 23, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1
amanda.su.ting
macrumors newbie

How to import Sony HDR-XR500 to Final Cut?

I have a new 15 inch macbook pro and I'm just learning how to use final cut pro. I can import video from my Sony HDR-XR500 into I-Movie 9, but when I try to import it to final cut express (from the camera), it doesn't seem to recognize the format of the video. I want to make sure that i import to final cut in the best way possible to not lose any quality. I thought I might be able to move the videos from I-Movie to final cut but i'm worried about losing quality. When I tried to import the videos to my old PC, if I didn't use the Sony PMB software the PC wouldn't recognize the format but when I used the PMB software it was ok. However, PMB doesn't work for Macs so I think I need some other sort of convert. Which one is the best or would it be ok to just funnel everything through I-movie? I found a converter on the sony website but i'm not sure if it will work for this particular camera (www.sony-asia.com/support/download/274168) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
amanda.su.ting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 05:57 AM   #2
steveOooo
macrumors 6502

SD video shot using avchd camcorders is not supported in fcp - use mpeg stream clip to convert the sd (mpeg2) to dv pal or something.

fcp - log and transfer tool - should see footage there - choose apple pro res lt
steveOooo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:01 PM   #3
sumelekh
macrumors newbie

when i use log and transfer the footage from the hdr-xr500 the only option i get on fcp is to save it as a 1400by1080i video whereas the original footage is of 1920by1080i quality. thus there is a loss of quality.how can i transfer the video as 1920by1080i.
sumelekh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumelekh View Post
when i use log and transfer the footage from the hdr-xr500 the only option i get on fcp is to save it as a 1400by1080i video whereas the original footage is of 1920by1080i quality. thus there is a loss of quality.how can i transfer the video as 1920by1080i.
Do you use Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro?
Are you sure you recorded in 1920 x 1080? Because the camera also records in 1440 x 1080: http://www.sony.lv/product/hdd-avchd...TechnicalSpecs
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:38 PM   #5
sumelekh
macrumors newbie

Sony HDR xr500 footage in fcp

I am trying to import HD footage (mts) from the Sony HDR xr500 into fcp 7 using log and capture and under preferences choosing apple prores. After the footage is imported and appears in the bin on playing it on full screen I can see the video has interlace issues. Even after I put it on the timeline and view it on full screen it is showing the video is interlaced and flickering occurs on the moving image due to a ghosting effect caused by the interlacing problem. On exporting the video using QT export the interlacing goes away in the output the video quality has reduced. What is the best way to import Sony HDR xr500 HD footage into FCP with zero loss of quality in the video quality?
sumelekh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Under what settings are you bringing your footage in.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video