Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I have a MBA 2011 originally on Lion (no install discs) now upgraded to Mountain that I wish to sell as I am buying a rMBP :)

I have backed up all files, itunes library etc and want to know the method used to get a fresh version of Moutain Lion onto it ready for the seller.

I have read several threads on this already and some indicate that the mountain lion install must will be tied to my apple id. Obviously I do not want this to be the case.

Any help?

halledise

macrumors 68000
2 options.

wipe and reinstall ML then shut it down ready for the buyer to startup and enter all his details, updates and then download the apps he/she requires from the App Store
(once he/she registers that particular Air with Apple and logs into his/her App Store account, the available software should show for downloading).

find out their details and do the above for them.

as you're getting a rMBP it'd be handy to have a method of fresh installing that as well should the need arise.
so you'll need a couple of of usb sticks - say a 1GB and a 16Gb

put recovery disk assistant one one - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848 - that's your bootable stick to access disk utility/

and ML on the other - http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/ - (it's good for ML also) - that's your 'net independent and much faster way of installing ML on your current Air and any future ML based Macs

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
You need to sell it with Lion installed, not ML, as when you purchased ML it was tied to your account, not the laptop.

Its the buyers choice to then upgrade or not

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Thanks
Those two replies make the matter alot clearer now :)

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
If you do decide to ship it with ML, make sure to give them a bootable USB (Google or Youtube can tell you how to do that) or a DVD with ML on it so the user can reinstall if he/she needs to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.