Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
thiagos
macrumors 6502

Why did Apple move the headphone jack to the bottom?

I was just wondering why Apple moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
At the gym, it makes it impossible to put the phone on the treadmill, when typing a text the headphone is in the way, I have the Bose headphones which have a flat connector, when I try to connect it to the charger, it is in the way.
Why the change and purpose?
I honestly don't like it.
thiagos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Feed Me
Banned

I prefer it

It means that the phone sits upside-down in my pocket, so when reaching in to pull it out, it's facing the right way up by the time it reaches the retina-reccomended viewing distance of 12 inches from my face.
Feed Me is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagos View Post
I was just wondering why Apple moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone.
At the gym, it makes it impossible to put the phone on the treadmill, when typing a text the headphone is in the way, I have the Bose headphones which have a flat connector, when I try to connect it to the charger, it is in the way.
I prefer the jack on the top too !
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Internal space seems like a plausible explanation.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
I prefer it

It means that the phone sits upside-down in my pocket, so when reaching in to pull it out, it's facing the right way up by the time it reaches the retina-reccomended viewing distance of 12 inches from my face.
I prefer it on the bottom as well for the same reason.

Do you have a measuring stick attached to your head so that you're always holding your iPhone exactly 12" from your face? I do. I'm hardcore.
Surely is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:15 PM   #6
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Ease of construction, most likely. The lighting connector and headphone jack are now a single assembly component, that together with the mic, speaker and Wifi antenna, interlock into a single module. Makes it easier to put the phone together when you have one part that does multiple jobs, instead of multiple separate parts on the top and bottom. It also takes up less space internally.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. I hate headphone cables in general, and have used bluetooth headphones since the iPhone 3GS.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Nov 6, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:17 PM   #7
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Angle the connector outward? Apple made it on the bottom so when you take out your phone with headphones in, the screen is in the correct orientation. Otherwise, the screen is facing towards you and you need to turn it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I prefer it on the bottom as well for the same reason.

Do you have a measuring stick attached to your head so that you're always holding your iPhone exactly 12" from your face? I do. I'm hardcore.
I too used the stick for several weeks, but much like removing the stabilisers from a bicycle, I am now able to gauge the distance myself quite accurately.
Feed Me is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Surely

Quote:
I too used the stick for several weeks, but much like removing the stabilisers from a bicycle, I am now able to gauge the distance myself quite accurately.
I, too, am now able to gauge the distance myself quite accurately, but I still prefer to use the stick. That way people who see me will know that I have a retina-type screen on my phone. The looks of jealousy that I get......
Surely is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:24 PM   #10
michaeljohn
Banned

I prefer it on top as pretty much every phone on the planet has. I think the number of people who connect to a car stereo far outnumber kids walking around with earbuds and an iphone in their pocket. The jack on the bottom means the phone has to go into a cup holder or wherever you put your phone upside down and it sucks.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
auero
macrumors 65816

For me the cable always dangled in front of the screen and got in the way. I love that it's on the bottom as well.

Second, my last iPhone had "water damage" from rain falling into the headphone jack. I don't have to worry about that anymore. Apple gave me a really hard time replacing it even though it was the only sensor faintly triggered.
auero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:53 PM   #12
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

it's also better that way so when your headphones are plugged in and u want to take a quick picture, the earpod wire won't get in the way
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:22 PM   #13
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I prefer it

Me too, but you're probably being sarcastic since we are in agreement.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

I'm going to again register my preference for the jack on the top. It is voting day after all I use a pouch for my iPhone and in my pocket and in the car, the jack on the top works better for me. I now put my phone into the pouch top down and it isn't that big of a deal but I did prefer the headphone jack on the top.

I'm going to save everyone the effort. Good story bro! ( I am referring to myself of course)
DollaTwentyFive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Like others have replied: they changed the location of the jack because I prefer it.

----------

But seriously, I'm sure there were space reasons for the designers, but it actually is more logical to have it in the bottom. If you're listening to the headphones and using the screen, having the cord come out of the bottom keeps the cord from draping down over the screen. Also, when pulling out of a pocket, since the home button is on the bottom, the most logical place to grab the phone is from the bottom. If the jack is on the top, the phone has to be put in a pocket bottom first which makes pulling it out a two step process of pulling out and flipping around so you're holding from the bottom.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The change of layout of internal components with the lightning connector is probably the main reason. Also, it brings the iphone into line with the ipod touch, which already had the headphone jack on the bottom.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

It's nice that all the cables come out of one end. It was extremely awkward to place when charging and playing audio at the same time.
Fuchal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:27 PM   #18
sviato
macrumors 68000

Don't have an iPhone 5 yet so not sure if I'd like it after trying it out. In theory I don't like it. Can't stand up phone and use headphones when skyping.

Also, when charging, my charger is in the opposite direction of where my head is so it creates a nice line of cable from charger->phone->head. And I'm not sure how you guys take the phone out of your pocket, mine usually goes in facing upwards and I take it out in a way where I don't have to "flip" it to the right side :S
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Bigdawg4
macrumors member

Quote:
I prefer it

I prefer it on the bottom as well...makes total sense to me. when its in my pocket it is always top down making it a natural movement to take it out of my pocket ready to use...
Bigdawg4 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:48 PM   #20
TableSyrup
macrumors 6502

Clearly for enhanced 'low end'

hahahaha
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:57 PM   #21
cynics
macrumors 603

I still have a 4S but the cord constantly dangles in front of the screen when I'm lay down. I'd think I'd prefer it on the bottom.
cynics is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:50 AM   #22
RevTEG
macrumors regular

I like it on the top as well. Just gets in my way on the bottom.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:54 AM   #23
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I still have a 4S but the cord constantly dangles in front of the screen when I'm lay down. I'd think I'd prefer it on the bottom.
I agree. I hate the wire flapping around the screen.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:32 AM   #24
tarasis
macrumors 6502

I'm torn on it, it's useful as it means the mic is facing towards me when the phone is in my pocket. That said it makes it a pain to quickly check the time as the phone as it now needs to come out of my coat pocket further.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:21 AM   #25
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
I'm with you. I preferred it on top. Bottom is awkward esp with the lightening cable plugged in.
johndallas999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone