Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
why is it that every other day I have to do a soft reset on my phone because for no reason, my alert tone volume drops to a barely audible level? The ringtone will still match the phones ringtone volume but the message and email alert tones drop really low no matter how high the ringer is. Very annoying.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Tell us about what Apps you have installed. A friend had an apps, I do not know which, but it stopped his alerts until he removed it.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Tell us about what Apps you have installed. A friend had an apps, I do not know which, but it stopped his alerts until he removed it.

I still get the alerts just fine but the volume is very low and this happens every other day for no reason. The volume doesn't match the main volume of the ringer and I have to restart my phone to get the volume back to normal. I just have basic apps like Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc...

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
That happens to me because of Alarm Clock HD. It takes control of the volume because I have it set to fade in the music for the alarm. It keeps whatever volume it was at when I turn off the alarm instead of setting it back to what it was before the alarm started. However, I can just go back into Alarm Clock HD and readjust the volume if I remember; I don't have to turn the iPhone on and off or reset.

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Since iOS 6 (or maybe it's the iPhone 5), the iPhone uses the app volume for alert tones. If you go into the Music app, or any other app that uses the speaker, and adjust the volume, that will be the volume of the notification tones. So, if you're watching a video and turn the volume down or you have an app that changes the volume, the notification sounds will stay at that volume.

I've made it a habit of launching the Music app and making sure the volume is maxed every so often.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
It happened to me too and I know it's has to do with an app. However, I don't recall I had this type of problem when I was using iP4 though.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Since iOS 6 (or maybe it's the iPhone 5), the iPhone uses the app volume for alert tones. If you go into the Music app, or any other app that uses the speaker, and adjust the volume, that will be the volume of the notification tones. So, if you're watching a video and turn the volume down or you have an app that changes the volume, the notification sounds will stay at that volume.

I've made it a habit of launching the Music app and making sure the volume is maxed every so often.

Nope, thats not it either. I just tested this by launching music and turning it all the way down, exiting and then checking the volume on my message tone. Still loud and clear.

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Nope, thats not it either. I just tested this by launching music and turning it all the way down, exiting and then checking the volume on my message tone. Still loud and clear.

Hmmm... Now I'm not sure what it is. I just restarted my phone and now the Music app doesn't affect my notification volume either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.