Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kase17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I had an ipad 3. & sold it for the mini just for the fact that i would be able to take it everywhere with me and thats big for me. I was not able to play with it much because everyone in the apple store was hogging on to every mini. So I bought it, took it home. & was very disapointed. Not in the design. the design is great. But the display..... not so much. Im not too big in display quality. I mean it has to be at least decent to view and read. My first 2 concerns were performance and size, & the mini nails on both. But when you come from retina and go back its not the same. I am trying to love the mini which i do.......Until...:eek:.........I turn the screen on. & don't get me wrong. the screen on the mini is good. especially if you come from ipad 1 or 2. but idk if it just me.I wish i can go back in time and not sold my ipad 3. But too late. Now i am in this boat.......... I have until nov 18 to return the ipad mini. I want to get the Ipad 4 LTE but apple online says mid nov. I heard from a few places that supposely apple store would get the ipads LTE in stock on nov 16th. should i wait to exchange. or should i return and order the LTE online. the only issue with online is that since were almost there to mid nov. I dont want to order now & be part of the second batch. I might have a better chance to get it in store. What you guys think?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I had an ipad 3. & sold it for the mini just for the fact that i would be able to take it everywhere with me and thats big for me. I was not able to play with it much because everyone in the apple store was hogging on to every mini. So I bought it, took it home. & was very disapointed. Not in the design. the design is great. But the display..... not so much. Im not too big in display quality. I mean it has to be at least decent to view and read. My first 2 concerns were performance and size, & the mini nails on both. But when you come from retina and go back its not the same. I am trying to love the mini which i do.......Until...:eek:.........I turn the screen on. & don't get me wrong. the screen on the mini is good. especially if you come from ipad 1 or 2. but idk if it just me.I wish i can go back in time and not sold my ipad 3. But too late. Now i am in this boat.......... I have until nov 18 to return the ipad mini. I want to get the Ipad 4 LTE but apple online says mid nov. I heard from a few places that supposely apple store would get the ipads LTE in stock on nov 16th. should i wait to exchange. or should i return and order the LTE online. the only issue with online is that since were almost there to mid nov. I dont want to order now & be part of the second batch. I might have a better chance to get it in store. What you guys think?

Oh look, this thread again.

pantherus05

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011

Definitely do not preorder online now. Show up the day they go on sale early or do the 10PM online pick up instore. Good luck!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone else in the same boat would of just returned it and not made another thread about the display.

Honestly, I am disappointed in the screen too but it still trumps any other iPad for my use anyway.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'd recommend returning the mini now since you already know you don't like it. Then, put an order in for an iPad 4.

On launch day or as soon as possible thereafter, go to an Apple store and see if you can pick one up.

If you can, buy it and then have the Apple store employee cancel your order for you. If it has already shipped, once you receive it just take it back to the store unopened. They will just sell it to the next person that walks in the door.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks

return it and wait until the brick and mortar release of the LTE

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005

Blar blar blar, I so cant be arsed to read your moaning. You had a 3, got a mini, want a 4. Do us a favour and sell them all and buy an Android device, one less numpty in this forum.

----------

Oh look, this thread again.

Man, I love you :)

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Mine arrived today and I don't have a single complaint with the screen. I can barely tell that it's not retina. I can tell, but just barely.

BC-2

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2012
I had a Mini LTE on order but canceled it after visiting the Apple store and seeing the screen in person. Coming from a iPhone 4s and a rMBP that I recently got, I find that I'm way too spoiled now and just can't go back. I did love the form factor of the Mini and the light weight. The other deal breaker for me was that I could notice the speed difference while opening and using apps compared to the 4th gen. Not super slow but a noticable difference and I could see it being an issue in the near future with new apps and OS X.

It really does depend on the user and for me, I left the store with a 4th gen iPad (my first iPad) and I'm very happy with it. Just bought the Zaggfolio case for it and I'm good to go!

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I don't regret anything, I sold my iPad 3 I'm happy I did. I am going to keep the iPad mini until the next iPad comes out. I have no regrets.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
All indications are that the iPad 4 LTE will not suffer the same supply constraints as previous iPad models so I'd wait and swap it in store. I agree that the mini has a disappointing resolution and won't be getting one myself until it gets a retina display.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Mine arrived today and I don't have a single complaint with the screen. I can barely tell that it's not retina. I can tell, but just barely.

I love the design, weight, and build quality of the iPad Mini without question but all of you saying you can barely tell the difference between the 1024x768 screen in the Mini and the retina display in the iPad 3/4 need to call an optometrist to make an appointment lol. Not only is there the huge difference in resolution but also the display quality. The color gamut is only 62% whereas the new iPhone 5 and iPad with retina are 100%.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
OP I don't regret my mini yet because I still have 13 days to make up my mind. But it will never replace my iPad 3. I need the larger screen and keyboard to really get my work done easier. Not sure I can justify the cost of two tablets. Was going to sell my 3. But I see that's not an option after only a day with th mini. Although the mini does have many nice aspects.

----------

All indications are that the iPad 4 LTE will not suffer the same supply constraints as previous iPad models so I'd wait and swap it in store. I agree that the mini has a disappointing resolution and won't be getting one myself until it gets a retina display.

Honest question: what constraints did the other iPads have the the 4 LTE won't? I've had my iPad 3 LTE in many different countries and was always able to use a local prepaid sim. Maybe not LTE speeds but remained connected nonetheless. Never had an issue traveling with any of the iPads and I've had them all.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA

Never had a manager not extend the return for an iPad or any other idevice. Someone actually returned an idevice 2 months after.

Depends on the manager but I'm pretty sure by asking nicely, she or he will be happy to take it back and exchange it for you after Nov 18.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The Mini is for Kids.

If you want one as an Ereader for yourself wait till 2nd gen with Retina.

We told you so.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
What you guys think?

Nope. Went to mini from iPad 3 and love it. If a retina mini appears with the same size and weight I will get it, but the lack of a retina display is secondary to size and weight to me.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I just don't get it. I have a iPhone 5 and a 3rd gen iPad and I have NO PROBLEM with the screen on the mini. None what so ever. I love the mini, display and all. I have not used my full size iPad since I got thr mini Friday.

Why all the hate on the mini display? I just don't SEE it. ;)

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have no regrets. I love my Mini but recognize that it might not be for everyone. I too have an iPad 3 but retina was never a selling feature that I had to have on the ipad anyway. Best to return it if you're not happy.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I have not used my full size iPad since I got thr mini Friday.

Seriously, someone fill me in, what's the logic behind statements like these? You just bought it. It's going to get heavy use. It's called novelty. I guess if anything, it shows how clunky the regular iPad has become. Oh, if Steve Jobs could see what's happening to his beloved iPad.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I love the IPad 4. Wait until get in store and exchange you will be very happy with the 4. (I hope).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.