Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
iMac2012.
macrumors newbie

Question No DVD reader, how to cleat this tangle

I am going to enthusiastically get the new iMac. Though, I couldn't care less for the augmented thinnes of the computer's body, while the lack of a DVD reader is a crucial annoyance to me. I know very little about computers. What I ask is, some DVD reader brands that offer the same quality Apple gives, and I can buy, link to the iMac, and get performances as perfect as those Apple made me used to.

thank you
iMac2012. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

The drives that apple puts in their computers aren't anything special. You'll get the same performance with any external optical disk drive that isn't broken.
12dylan34 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
The drives that apple puts in their computers aren't anything special. You'll get the same performance with any external optical disk drive that isn't broken.
Agreed.

But, if you are unsure, buy the Apple external DVD. It costs a lot more, but it might give you peace of mind, and it doesn't require 2 USB ports.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4
iMac2012.
macrumors newbie

You are speaking of this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...usb-superdrive, right?

It requires use of 1 USB port. Why did you say that a non Apple driver would require 2 ports?
iMac2012. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:49 AM   #5
ibirmingham
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac2012. View Post

I am going to enthusiastically get the new iMac. Though, I couldn't care less for the augmented thinnes of the computer's body, while the lack of a DVD reader is a crucial annoyance to me. I know very little about computers. What I ask is, some DVD reader brands that offer the same quality Apple gives, and I can buy, link to the iMac, and get performances as perfect as those Apple made me used to.

thank you
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1487164
ibirmingham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
comatory
macrumors 6502a

I will dare to say that optical drives used in Mac computers are sub par - they often stop working after few years, especially the ones in laptops. I had two of ODDs die on me. They're nothing special or "Apple" quality.

Get any external DVD drive (or even Blu-Ray) with USB 2 connection, it will work ok. They even make wireless drives (Sony I think) but to me, it's pretty useless because you'll be plugging power cord anyway.
comatory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

I think I'll be getting one of these, this'll do the job alright won't it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-2...N%3DB005N2UE2O
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac2012. View Post
You are speaking of this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...usb-superdrive, right?

It requires use of 1 USB port. Why did you say that a non Apple driver would require 2 ports?
Some of the external DVD drives require 2 ports in order to get enough power. Other externals use 1 usb port plus a power brick.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Just use remote disc if you've got a computer on the network with a dvd drive. That's the free solution.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac