Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
So, I just want to make sure I'm treating my battery correctly: I charge it to full, use it and dont recharge it until it gets close to 0%, and then fully recharge. From what I've read, this seems like the best way to treat it. Am I wrong?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, I just want to make sure I'm treating my battery correctly: I charge it to full, use it and dont recharge it until it gets close to 0%, and then fully recharge. From what I've read, this seems like the best way to treat it. Am I wrong?
No, you don't have to drain it to zero or near zero and you don't have to run on battery all the time. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

nomih3

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Just to let you know, my early 2008 battery is constantly between charging and non-charging, plugged in for two days straight then left to die, whatever suits me best and is still going strong. Ive never had any issues and its at 80% health after me using and abusing it almost non-stop since i bought it.
Everyone has their own opinion on Charging, but who really cares? Just do what works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.