Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I need a camera that can work in tethered mode (to a computer) but with NO internal memory card.

Looks like Canon DSLR are the best (only?) choice. I'd like to find something inexpensive.

This is for taking pictures of whiteboards BTW.

I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. thanks !

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I've never paid much attention to tethered shooting other than knowing my camera works. But I'm surprised by the Aperture list. I would have thought that there would have been some of the more traditional studio cameras included, Hasselblad, Leica S2 (or M9 even), some of the digital backs, Leaf etc.

To the OP, it looks like pretty much any Nikon or Canon DSLR, including discontinued and entry models are a very safe bet!

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
cool. i didnt realize my D70 could do this. I'll have to try it out sometime and make a claymation or something

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I've never paid much attention to tethered shooting other than knowing my camera works. But I'm surprised by the Aperture list. I would have thought that there would have been some of the more traditional studio cameras included, Hasselblad, Leica S2 (or M9 even), some of the digital backs, Leaf etc.

Hasselblad's own Phocus software works nicely for tethered shooting so people tend to use that.

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
If you don't need really high resolution (i.e. above 1920x1080) then you could just use a webcam. In terms of simplicity and cost, it'll beat out any DSLR solution hands down. Remember that all DSLR cameras will need external power, but webcams are generally bus powered. Also, if whiteboards mean this is in a classroom setting, consider the annoyance factor of the shutter going off every time you take a picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.