Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteDragon1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I am REALLY thinking about getting an iPad Mini with 4G LTE (Verizon) and downloading a VoIP app (most likely talkatone) and using it as iPhone.

I would love to have an iPhone but it's just too much money. If I went with an iPhone from Verizon it will be about $90 a month, and that's not counting taxes or fees. When you add it all it's going to be about $100 a month, and that would only be for 1GB of data. That just way too much money.

If I went with an iPad Mini with 4G LTE, and it would only be $40 a month; and that would be for 4GB of data.

I do wear a sports jacket and the iPad Mini would fit in the pocket. Plus, I use a bluetooth headset; that way I wouldn't have to put the iPad Mini up to my hear to make a call.

Also, I am far sighted; so I have a really hard time seeing things up close on small screens.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this?

Thanks!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
1). If you don't mind carrying it all the time it might work for you.

2). You could also get some sort of go-phone just to have something smaller for occasions when you don't want to carry the mini. They are cheap and you load minutes as you need them.

3). I don't know how talkatone works but if its like Skype it has to be 'open' all the time in order to receive calls. I know on my iPad Skype will sign me out sometimes in order to manage memory. You might check into that before you jump on it. Unless, of course, you're prepared to continually check your status.

But then again that app might work differently.

All in all I can see the attraction of the savings if you can manage the drawbacks. I'm a woman and if I carried a bigger purse I would consider it too.

Edit: better make sure your headset will work with the VOIP. I've never tried mine with Skype (never used the one you're considering).

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
talkatone works great on the mini. Rings just like a iPhone even when locked. I don't know how feasible it would be as a full time phone. I think it is just a novelty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.