Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
daneoni
macrumors G4

Help: Apple TV refuses any protected content ever since 5.1 update

I've searched other threads and have tried most suggestions i could but no dice. So here goes. I got an Apple TV in summer and was loving it because it worked brilliantly. H

However ever since i updated to 5.1 it has been a nightmare. NOTHING protected by HDCP plays. I rented several movies and ended up forfeiting them because it kept slapping me with the HDCP error. Also tried to stream WSJ and even Apple media event but no dice. Everytime without fail i get the HDCP error

I've swapped cables, restarted, restored but it won't budge. It even ruined one my dates (no joke). My TV (Sony Bravia 40" LCD) is old but it works with everything i have no problem and it worked with the Apple TV Pre-iOS 5.1.

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong cos i'm about to slam this thing into a wall. All it can do now is stream Youtube and trailers.

Can i go to an Apple store and have them downgrade the software for me or is there a way i can do it myself
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
macman312
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I've searched other threads and have tried most suggestions i could but no dice. So here goes. I got an Apple TV in summer and was loving it because it worked brilliantly. H

However ever since i updated to 5.1 it has been a nightmare. NOTHING protected by HDCP plays. I rented several movies and ended up forfeiting them because it kept slapping me with the HDCP error. Also tried to stream WSJ and even Apple media event but no dice. Everytime without fail i get the HDCP error

I've swapped cables, restarted, restored but it won't budge. It even ruined one my dates (no joke). My TV (Sony Bravia 40" LCD) is old but it works with everything i have no problem and it worked with the Apple TV Pre-iOS 5.1.

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong cos i'm about to slam this thing into a wall. All it can do now is stream Youtube and trailers.

Can i go to an Apple store and have them downgrade the software for me or is there a way i can do it myself

Just take it to an apple store and show them....
macman312 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:33 AM   #3
slothrob
macrumors 6502

After a relatively problem-free aTV experience, I had a problem with not being able to play any Apple content, one day. At some point I had signed out of my iTunes account on my computer. The problem went away when I signed into my account on the computer.

That may not be your problem, but I would start by signing (out of, if necessary, then) back in to iTunes on both your computer and the aTV.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater