Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Had two iPad minis on order but one became available locally (white 32gb) via the apple store pick up system last night to so I picked it up and have been using it all day. Previously I have owned or own: iPhone 3G, 4, 5 and iPad 1, 2, & 3.

1. The iPhone for me was the transformative device. It was the moment I began carrying a computer in my pocket and being connected to the internet at all time. Nothing is more important than the iPhone.

2. The iPad was the device that allowed me to stop carrying my laptop when I travel weekly as an airline pilot. I loved having the bigger screen and lighter weight (for my luggage) but I often found myself using my phone much of the time just to avoid the awkwardness of late night reading in hotel bed. The biggest issue was the iPad weight but even the screen size itself made the device bulky to handle without a constant source to prop it or a table top.

3. THE IPAD MINI... Wow. I printed out a scale picture of one and was very concerned it was too small but the actual device... So, so, so perfect for me. 90% of my use is reading, web browsing, twitter, Facebook, photo viewing, movie viewing and FaceTime. In other words I mostly consume content... The iPad mini is perfect. The thinness and weight are just less than the regular iPad, they are in a whole other class and make this feel like a space age device. It is the nicest feeling iOS device I have ever owned and it clearly will be more useful to me in many, many more situations than the regular iPad. Besides further lightening my luggage I know this becomes my primary reading device from my iPhone in nearly all situations other than a quick glance in a line. The form factor is just amazing.

4. The screen. I am coming from retina everything and I promise this is ten million times worth it. I was worried it would be pixelated like the iPad 1 and 2 were. Because the screen is smaller I really don't see the pixels but it is obvious text appears soft. You can pick out the pixels from a normal distance but the text itself looks just a hair fuzzy like you focused a camera lens perfectly and then just nudged it a hair off. It isn't bad but it isn't retina. Obviously if this device had retina I could tell you it was the perfect device but it doesn't yet. Still I am so happy to be rid of my retina iPad 3 (although I will upgrade the instant a retina iPad mini becomes available.)

Summary: this is a breakthrough form factor for an iOS device and is the primary future of the iPad. If you have the cash and don't mind upgrading in 1 or 2 years to the retina version of the mini (because face it, you will love this so much that you'll have to upgrade to a retina version of it when it comes) this is the iPad to buy for almost everyone.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Nice Review

Thanks for the thoughtful review. I have the iPhone 4S and the original iPad. I have the new 15: MBP, but not retina because I didn't want to spoil myself. Since I'm planning on getting the iPad Mini, it turns out that was a wise move.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Gotta stay strong, gotta stay strong. I can wait till next year, I think I can wait till next year. Must stay away from these threads.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Great review but you said it yourself. Until it has retina I am not willing to downgrade in screen quality for size. iPad retina is portable enough as is.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The thinness and weight are just less than the regular iPad, they are in a whole other class and make this feel like a space age device. It is the nicest feeling iOS device I have ever owned and it clearly will be more useful to me in many, many more situations than the regular iPad. <snip> The form factor is just amazing.

Well said. All the people who said we should just lift weights if we think the iPad is too heavy... they just don't get it. It's not that we cannot hold an iPad, it's that when an iPad becomes as light as a Mini, it is a game changer in how easily you can use it.

Sure, I could use a 10 pound, battery-powered electric drill as a powerful and fast screwdriver, but most of the time it's just easier to use a screwdriver.

That's what i'm waiting for. :)

I'm waiting for the iPad Mini Retina as well.

However, I will bide the time with my iPad Mini. :D

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Went to my local Apple store today for my first look at the mini.

I have the iPad 2 and 4s. Checked out the new new iPad and it still feels as chunky as I remember when I returned the 3 because it just didn't feel as good as my 2. Retina screen looked okay but not overly fussed about it.

Just recently bought a Kindle Fire HD and am very impressed. Serious competition for the mini.

However, I liked the mini because of the form factor and I could see myself using it in place of the 2. The screen looks perfectly acceptable, a little sharper than the 2.

No luck. Only had the 32gb white in stock. Not the one I want. Maybe try again tomorrow.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Gotta stay strong, gotta stay strong. I can wait till next year, I think I can wait till next year. Must stay away from these threads.

Indulge! That's what life is for, and given the high resale value of Apple products, getting a mini today, enjoying it for a whole year until the better gen 2 comes out, selling your gen 1 then, you'll not lose much money. Think of it (as someone wisely on this forum suggested) as a rental fee (and not a large one). Take the money you earn from selling your gen 1 and apply it against a gen 2.

This way you get a whole year of enjoying a really wonderful device, and you still get the better device in the end, the one you're planning, the gen 2. It's the best of all worlds.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Good review, but I disagree. Personally, I cannot go back to a non retina screen. In my eyes when you put the mini side by side with the iPad 3 , it's night and day. The retina display plus color saturation and brightness on the iPad 3 was too much to give up for the mini. Glad you like yours though.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I agree... actually the resolution really wasn't as bad as I had thought.

It's obviously not retina, but the weird thing was I found my eyes to strain a lot less on the Mini than on my Ipad3. The Ipad3 always strained my eyes a bit more than my laptop. Maybe I'm just getting old and text that I can't see clearly on my Mini I should zoom in anyway.

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
I went to Apple last night to check out the mini and I really like the shape and weight of it. It really feels perfect in hand and I liked it a lot. I really wanted to buy it; however, for me the non retina really was an issue. I'm not saying I won't still cave; but the text seemed really fuzzy to me. This of course is after typing all day on a macbook pro with retina, using an iphone 4s and an iPad 3. My Kindle Fire HD also has much clearer text.

But I really like the form factor a ton! I just have a feeling that next year will be the iPad mini with retina though. They always hold SOMETHING back.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The screen is not as bright as the amazon kindle hd.
It's an inferior screen. Not by much, but if people are asking, the amazon kindle wins.

For everything else, the kindle loses.

Bih85

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I have both ipad 3 and mini. Love the form factor. It's easy to hold, thinner bezel makes it look much better. Screen resolution is fine. It doesn't strain my eyes. I'm sure In near future apple will have retina on mini. If you are getting ipad mini, you will not be sorry.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I do a lot of design research and the screen resolution just isn't good enough.

The resolution for everything else is about average. Nothing amazing.

The fit and finish is typical Apple. Has no peer. :apple:

I might buy one, though.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
some can settle with an inferior screen for weight and size,i can't. Not only that but i don't have a problem with the iPad,to me it's not heavy it's not bulky..the size is perfect.I couldn't deal with a smaller screen even if it was lighter.

nice review though,simple and to the point.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I'm actually enjoying my Mini so far! The size is great and the screen is much better than my iPad 1

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
If you praise Ipad mini in here. People will love you.

Coincidence, right? Shirley no one posts anything positive just because the product they have purchased actually serves their own needs?

I like the mini so much that I went downtown tonight and purchased an ipad4 to keep at home. It's nice admittedly, just like letters from home are. But aside from being larger, it's just identical.

In a good way. Let the comparisons end. The screen is larger.... Making it easier to read only if you stretch your arms way out

If there's a difference worth penning, it'll arrive at some shareholders desk. Beyond that, just look at this amazing tool! (Typed on my mini, because the 4 is pairing without instructions... What's not to like?)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.