Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I think this one we all can agree on and say, "stupid ******* idiot!"

Read, and shake your head in disgust.

Oh.. video is included of her doing it multiple times, plus her getting stopped by police.

Story

After Driving On Sidewalk To Pass School Bus, Woman Must Wear 'Idiot' Sign

by Mark Memmott
November 06, 2012 4:11 PM

"Justice has been served!" declares the man who helped police in Cleveland nab a woman who had been driving up on a sidewalk many mornings to get around a stopped school bus with children on board.

It's something 32-year-old Shena Hardin had done many times before, apparently, and for which a judge has now ordered her to wear a sign reading "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid the school bus."

Hardin will have to wear the sign "for an hour per day, next Tuesday and Wednesday morning" and stand near the scene of the crime, according to Fox8 Cleveland. She's also had her license suspended for 30 days and must pay a $250 fine.

She had been seen pulling her dangerous stunt several times this school year. The bus driver, who had tipped off police about what she was doing, used a camera phone to catch Hardin in the act and was recording as she got pulled over by officers.

Fox8's report, which includes video of the crime, is here.

BL.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Punishment fits the crime.
The fine on the other hand, could have been a little steeper.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Driver deserved to be caught and fined, and have their license suspended. The sign part is just medieval. Harks back to the stockade and pillory.

Shaming is becoming a more common punishment. Not sure if there are statistics in regards to repeat offendors who are shamed vs not shamed, but hey if it works, its pretty harmless.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Shaming is becoming a more common punishment. Not sure if there are statistics in regards to repeat offendors who are shamed vs not shamed, but hey if it works, its pretty harmless.

"Losing face" has a time-honoured tradition in Asian cultures.

I see no harm in this returning.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

"Losing face" has a time-honoured tradition in Asian cultures.

I see no harm in this returning.

All depends I suppose if the justice system is supposed to mete out vengeance or, you know, justice. The punishment is supposed to be an fair and unbiased deterrence to to the person committing the crime, and to others. Shaming is personal, and may even be prohibited under the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

The state is not supposed to impose sanctions on people who break the law for our amusement. I take back my comment about the sign portion of the punishment being 'medieval' - goes back to the Roman Empire. I would have hoped the American Empire would have shown a little more maturity over the empire that threw Christians in with lions. Though I have to admit the UFC does resemble gladiators more than a little.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I guess it depends on the underlying reasons behind the shaming.

Some people just won't listen. They are in their own little world, Planet "Me, Myself and I". It's all about them, them, them. They're right, everyone else is wrong. They look the best, dress the best, know the best.

Money? A fine? Pfaah, here's your silly fine money, let me get back to doing what I was doing and stop wasting my time. Important person, important places to go...

A fine is supposed to be a deterrent. Most people like to keep their money, so threatening to take some of it away deters them. But if that isn't effective, then you find another deterrent. If knocking down their social status and perceived self-importance is what wakes them up, then so be it.

I agree the fine should have been higher, though. $250? Try $2500.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
All depends I suppose if the justice system is supposed to mete out vengeance or, you know, justice. The punishment is supposed to be an fair and unbiased deterrence to to the person committing the crime, and to others. Shaming is personal, and may even be prohibited under the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

The state is not supposed to impose sanctions on people who break the law for our amusement. I take back my comment about the sign portion of the punishment being 'medieval' - goes back to the Roman Empire. I would have hoped the American Empire would have shown a little more maturity over the empire that threw Christians in with lions. Though I have to admit the UFC does resemble gladiators more than a little.

its totally the reverse now. The american empire as you call it, has the christians throw everyone else in with the lions now. Or at least they try.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Fitting? Hardly. It should be much more servere. She endangered school kids.:eek: Heck, if someone pulled that sort of stunt around my kid's bus, I'd take a wrecking bar and go Gordon Freeman on him.

I would have loved to see someone put a spike strip on the side walk to blow out her tires.

Attachments

• spike strip.jpg
    spike strip.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 268

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
....And the bus driver didn't get in trouble for using a cell phone while driving a bus full of children?

I don't like what she did at all, but I don't find the bus driver's actions acceptable either. He couldn't have asked any of the kids to record it? God knows they'd manage to edit together a nice video and post it online in seconds:p

Put your ****ing phones down in the car people, too many good lives lost because someone can't wait 5 minutes to answer a goddamn text. :mad:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
....And the bus driver didn't get in trouble for using a cell phone while driving a bus full of children?

I don't like what she did at all, but I don't find the bus driver's actions acceptable either. He couldn't have asked any of the kids to record it? God knows they'd manage to edit together a nice video and post it online in seconds:p

Put your ****ing phones down in the car people, too many good lives lost because someone can't wait 5 minutes to answer a goddamn text. :mad:

Bus was stopped. Hopefully the driver also hadn't yet opened the doors so there would have been kids to monitor.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Well it is Cleveland. In Russia they have a place they make fun of too... Cleveland.

Seriously. Folks are unreal. I often wonder if the role was reversed and she had a child in the situation that she was doing, how she would react. Has anyone tried to Facebook her yet?

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus

Here is a longer video, the bus is parked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=89fApjIW0mA#at=36

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I would have loved to see someone put a spike strip on the side walk to blow out her tires.

While a mean (but gooood) idea that would put the kids at risk. She could lose control and hit someone. I think the way she got stopped was perfect.
Fine ? > $2500 and 6-12 month no DL would be better. That was really scary.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Every time I see my state in the news, I already know it's going to be embarrassing. I pulled this up on flipboard and immediately thought "great, another Ohio story."

The video was great though. The cop was right there. To not see him proves she would never have noticed a kid either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.