Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erock2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Is anyone having problems with their iPhone 5 dimming all the down randomly? It's usually when I wake the phone that it does this, I have auto brightness turned off and brightness at 100% but randomly it'll go down to 0%. I'm wondering if it's software related (Which is my first guess) or hardware related.

It'sMyPrecious

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Between heaven and hell
I noticed that too! I was in the car this morning when suddenly the screen became so dim that I couldn't see anything. I then checked my settings and noticed that brightness had been turned to the minimum. I think it happened a few times while I was walking outside too.

Oh, you had auto brightness turned off. I had it turned on. But even if the auto-brightness is turned on, the screen shouldn't go dim suddenly. It's not like I suddenly walked into a pitch black closet.

Erock2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I noticed that too! I was in the car this morning when suddenly the screen became so dim that I couldn't see anything. I then checked my settings and noticed that brightness had been turned to the minimum. I think it happened a few times while I was walking outside too.

Oh, you had auto brightness turned off. I had it turned on. But even if the auto-brightness is turned on, the screen shouldn't go dim suddenly. It's not like I suddenly walked into a pitch black closet.

Should have clarified a little more, the brightness bar was still at 100% ! I just tap the back and the light will come back on and it'll be good then later it'll do it again, it's starting to get really frustrating.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Do you mean the back light dims after sitting for a little with the screen on? If so, that's completely normal.

Erock2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Do you mean the back light dims after sitting for a little with the screen on? If so, that's completely normal.

No, like when I wake the phone (Pushing the top button) it'll sometimes dim to lowest brightness.

Erock2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I wonder if the OP is referring to the Auto Lock setting in the General settings?

Noooo, let's say i'm not using my phone for 10 minutes it's locked and the screen is completely dark. I go to wake the phone and turn the screen on and sometimes it'll blink and the brightness will dim to 0% I always have it at 100%, if I go to the brightness settings, It still shows i'm at 100% but my actual brightness is 0% I have to actually tap the brightness bar for my brightness to come back to "normal"

To clarify, I work for a Verizon Premium Retailer, I have had many different iPhones/Android Phones/Windows Phones/Blackberries I am not a novice to phones.

transam7816

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
I had something like this happen to me. Picked up my phone and pressed power button to "wake" it up and no unlock bar came up, nor the time. The screen dimmed and it was unresponsive after that. I had to restart the phone.

simsjackop

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I just adjust the brightness and the backlight comes back on
a112.jpg

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This has happened to me a handful of times.

I wake the phone using either the home or sleep/wake button and it comes on and is really really dim. I think it dims after I swipe to unlock but I don't remember. Either way, I simply put it back to sleep using the sleep/wake and then waking it back up and it's fine. Doesn't bother me, don't care.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Is anyone having problems with their iPhone 5 dimming all the down randomly? It's usually when I wake the phone that it does this, I have auto brightness turned off and brightness at 100% but randomly it'll go down to 0%. I'm wondering if it's software related (Which is my first guess) or hardware related.

Happened on my iPad and iPhone 5. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch with iOS 6.

mac.fanatic

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012

When this happens to me and I press the home button (if I am in an app) it doesn't exit the app. It just makes the screen brighter again. Then I have to press the home button again to take me to the home screen. Is this normal?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have this issue as well where the backlight will dim all of a sudden. The only way to bring it back to normal is a quick on/off button press.

Sammyb1979

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013

Yes yes yes. This has happened at least 3 times so far but I can be sure how it happened but it DEFINATETELY was not a normal feature.

What u doing about it??

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I noticed this same phenomenon this weekend. Turned the screen on and it was very dim. Went into the brightness setting and it was still set at 40% which is where I keep my setting and Auto-brightness was off. I touched the slider and it instantly went back to my setting and exited the settings. This is not the first time I've noticed this happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.