Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
bobright
macrumors 601

If wanting to use Logic Pro and do amateur recording on iMac do need SSD or i7?

I want to get a new iMac and do some minor vocal recording with something like a Blue Yeti USB Mic, not a full audio interface or anything.

I want to know what would be best to upgrade that would benefit me, would a base model 27" with a fusion drive be enough? Do I need a i7 or additional memory?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Luap
macrumors 65816

If you are just starting out and know you won't be running a gazzlion tracks and plugins etc, then ANY new Mac will be plenty adequate. It needn't be a top end i7 with SSD.
Keep in mind that Garageband really isn't bad either.. You may not even need Logic.
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a

If all you're going to do is minor vocal recording how about an iPad. There are some pretty powerful iPad DAW apps like Auria that will do the job.

If you really want an iMac or you want to work with virtual instruments any stock iMac model will work for you.

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Timhet
macrumors newbie

As a general rule of thumb, multi-media does take a big toll on your CPU and RAM so you want as much as you can afford.

Having said that, the advice above is correct. Basic stuff won't tax your system that much. However, if you start to get into it more, you will wish you upgraded your specs.

I think that CPU and RAM is more important than a SSD for audio recording.

You can upgrade your RAM on the iMac, but the CPU might be harder.
Timhet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5
wdnewman
macrumors newbie

Garageband.

Ditto on starting out with Garageband. If later you want to move to Logic, then the GB files will load right in and work fine.
wdnewman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:54 AM   #6
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I want to get a new iMac and do some minor vocal recording with something like a Blue Yeti USB Mic, not a full audio interface or anything.

I want to know what would be best to upgrade that would benefit me, would a base model 27" with a fusion drive be enough? Do I need a i7 or additional memory?
Get aftermarket memory 16-32 gb and a fusion drive should be fine. You could get by with an i5 I think.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Get aftermarket memory 16-32 gb and a fusion drive should be fine. You could get by with an i5 I think.
Awesome since this thread got a Fusion drive on the way and ordering 16GB RAM for a total of 24
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac